Getting into broken Win2K after installing SP4

Hi there!

I installed Windows 2000 SP4. After rebooting I cannot get into Windows anymore. None of the modes that are available by hitting F8 work. Windows bluescreens shortly after startup - it seems like after loading AGP*.sys. The bluescreen shows up only for a few microseconds - then the laptop reboots automatically.

Is there any way to fix Windows, so I can get into the system?

I have a bootable Win2K CD (OEM version), but it only allows me to reformat the entire drive - not to repair. I need to get into my system without reformating the drive. Also if I get onto a console with a boot disk, I can access the disk drive, but not with long file names.

Thank you!

You can start Recovery Console and from a command prompt change to the;
%SystemRoot%\$NtServicePackuninstall$\spuninst
directory. Then issue the command;
batch SPuninst.bat

The next step is to start in 'Safe Mode' and uninstall the SP again from
Control Panel|Add/Remove to finish the uninstall.

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
Console quits and restarts the computer. Once the password has been
validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access
to the hard disk. You can only access the following folders on your
computer: %systemroot% and %windir%

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"aliaSense" wrote:
| Hi there!
|
| I installed Windows 2000 SP4. After rebooting I cannot get into Windows
anymore. None of the modes that are available by hitting F8 work. Windows
bluescreens shortly after startup - it seems like after loading AGP*.sys.
The bluescreen shows up only for a few microseconds - then the laptop
reboots automatically.

| Is there any way to fix Windows, so I can get into the system?
|
| I have a bootable Win2K CD (OEM version), but it only allows me to
reformat the entire drive - not to repair. I need to get into my system
without reformating the drive. Also if I get onto a console with a boot
disk, I can access the disk drive, but not with long file names.

| Thank you!

Thanks for the quick reply.

I cannot get to the real recovery console because the OEM CD-ROM is different from the normal W2K CD. It allows me to get to a command prompt with access to the entire disk - however only with short filenames. I cannot create the boot disks because I don't have access to another Windows 2000 CD kit. I think you are referencing to the following procedure:
To create setup disks
1) Insert a blank, formatted, 3.5-inch, 1.44-MB disk into the floppy disk drive.
2) Insert the Windows 2000 CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
3) Click Start, and then click Run.
4) In the Open box, type d:\bootdisk\makeboot a: (where d: is the drive letter assigned to your CD-ROM drive), and then click OK.
5) Follow the screen prompts.

Unfortunately the makeboot command is not on the IBM OEM disk.

Also I tried to search for the spuninst.bat file via dir spuninst.bat /s /a.
However it does not find the file on the disk. I found a file called spuninst.exe
in A325E3~1 instead, which cannot be executed DOS mode though.

How can I repair the installation under these conditions?

Thanks for helping out here.

Borrow one from somebody. If you don't find
\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.bat
then you probably passed on the option that allows one to back down from the
SP. If this is the case then you're probably out of luck on this install.