Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
April 28, 2004 11:57:35 PM

I am trying to upgrade my NT 4 network. I have a new gateway server
with 2 35GB HDD's. I have to load NT4 on this server as a BDC, then
upgrade it to a PDC. I then want to upgrade the newly assigned PDC to
a Windows 2000 advance server. My question is, I want more than a 4
GB partition so I will have plenty of room to put 2000 on. I do not
have any other servers with SCSI support to plug a drive into and make
an 8 or 10GB NTFS partition. I also do not have any partition
programs. How can I load NT server onto an 8 or 10GB partition given
my circumstance?

Thanks
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 4:52:19 PM

If you can exchange boot order of your disks, you can do this:

* start installation on the target disk up to first reboot request (which
will prepare MBR structure on this disk). do not boot up, simply turn off
machine when it asks for reboot.
* exchange disks
* install temporary (minimal) OS instance as workgroup type (to skip network
part of installation)
* use this installation to delete partition created on target disk during
the first step and create new one. It should be primary partition, max.
7.8GB and format it as NTFS.
* After partition is reformatted, you can turn off machine and exchange disk
boot order.
* Install NT server as BDC using prepared partition on target disk

If you cannot exchange boot order, you need to use another trick. install
minimal (workgroup) OS instance using small (like 300MB) partition on target
disk. Use this OS instance to create and format other partitions on target
disk and install your BDC server instance to them. In such case there are
not size limits for partition with main system. After this you can delete
temporary OS instance, but you cannot get rid of this small partition (it is
now C: drive and is hosting NT OS loader files).

You can also use third party tools to expand partition sizes (either
partitioning tools like Partition magic or backup/restore tools like Norton
Ghost - you can make image of main instance to your second disk and restore
it to greater space).

"Dan" <ddurgin@fons.com> píse v diskusním príspevku
> I am trying to upgrade my NT 4 network. I have a new gateway server
> with 2 35GB HDD's. I have to load NT4 on this server as a BDC, then
> upgrade it to a PDC. I then want to upgrade the newly assigned PDC to
> a Windows 2000 advance server. My question is, I want more than a 4
> GB partition so I will have plenty of room to put 2000 on. I do not
> have any other servers with SCSI support to plug a drive into and make
> an 8 or 10GB NTFS partition. I also do not have any partition
> programs. How can I load NT server onto an 8 or 10GB partition given
> my circumstance?
>
> Thanks
April 29, 2004 4:52:20 PM

Thanks, I changed the boot order, but now I have the error on the NT
load reboot "Windows NT could not start because of a computer disk
hardware configuration problem........"
Related resources
April 29, 2004 4:52:20 PM

Thanks, but now I am getting "windows nt could not start because of a

"Jiri Tuma" <jiri.tuma@nospam.seznam.cz> wrote in message news:<OqBYMgdLEHA.3216@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> If you can exchange boot order of your disks, you can do this:
>
> * start installation on the target disk up to first reboot request (which
> will prepare MBR structure on this disk). do not boot up, simply turn off
> machine when it asks for reboot.
> * exchange disks
> * install temporary (minimal) OS instance as workgroup type (to skip network
> part of installation)
> * use this installation to delete partition created on target disk during
> the first step and create new one. It should be primary partition, max.
> 7.8GB and format it as NTFS.
> * After partition is reformatted, you can turn off machine and exchange disk
> boot order.
> * Install NT server as BDC using prepared partition on target disk
>
> If you cannot exchange boot order, you need to use another trick. install
> minimal (workgroup) OS instance using small (like 300MB) partition on target
> disk. Use this OS instance to create and format other partitions on target
> disk and install your BDC server instance to them. In such case there are
> not size limits for partition with main system. After this you can delete
> temporary OS instance, but you cannot get rid of this small partition (it is
> now C: drive and is hosting NT OS loader files).
>
> You can also use third party tools to expand partition sizes (either
> partitioning tools like Partition magic or backup/restore tools like Norton
> Ghost - you can make image of main instance to your second disk and restore
> it to greater space).
>

> "Dan" <ddurgin@fons.com> píse v diskusním príspevku
> > I am trying to upgrade my NT 4 network. I have a new gateway server
> > with 2 35GB HDD's. I have to load NT4 on this server as a BDC, then
> > upgrade it to a PDC. I then want to upgrade the newly assigned PDC to
> > a Windows 2000 advance server. My question is, I want more than a 4
> > GB partition so I will have plenty of room to put 2000 on. I do not
> > have any other servers with SCSI support to plug a drive into and make
> > an 8 or 10GB NTFS partition. I also do not have any partition
> > programs. How can I load NT server onto an 8 or 10GB partition given
> > my circumstance?
> >
> > Thanks
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 6:55:51 AM

Go to:
www.microsoft.com

In the upper right hand corner there is a "search for" box.

enter:
Q197667

This will bring up a link to an article called:
Installing Windows NT server on a Large IDE hard drive.

I think this will answer your questions.

If you are putting this on a hard drive with another
operating system you may need to partician the drive with
a program called Partitian Magic. This comes with a
program called Boot Magic. The two of them work together
for booting up and choosing a different operating system
at boot up.

Good Luck

David Devlin
ddevlin780@aol.com
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 4:02:23 PM

Weird. In which phase of setup process are you getting this message?

Try to exchange physical order of disks instead of boot order only, the best
method is to use static LUNs and exchange them by jumpers/switches on disks.

Also consult your SCSI adapter manual how to run SCSI tools and check
settings of your adapter (you can also use tools to test accessibility of
your disks). In motheboard BIOS settings try to find value named like "PnP
aware Operating System" (usually it is on page with other PnP settings) and
check if it is set to OFF or NO. Windows NT are not Plug and Play and if you
have this set to ON, machine can report weird hardware errors after
configuration changes or during installation of hw resources consuming
peripherals (especially network and sound adapters).

!