Anybody know what the Windows/Prefetch folder is and what
the files with-in that folder are?

The Prefetch folder is a folder that stores information on recently
run applications. This makes it, unfortunately, a great place for
spyware and virus' to hang out. Yet another reason to have a good
virus scanner! ;-)

As a general rule, you can delete files in the Prefetch folder and not
cause your system any issues.

Regards,

Clinton Fitch
Principle
C3 Technology

http://www.c3-technology.com

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:16:24 -0700, "moviemanpat"

>Anybody know what the Windows/Prefetch folder is and what
>the files with-in that folder are?

Hi, Pat.

As we start and run a program, WinXP keeps track of which files it needs to
run that program and in what order it needs them. It builds itself a
database that it uses each time we run that program again to load it in the
most efficient way. This database consists mostly of a prefetch file for
each program, stored in that Prefetch folder, containing the info for that
program.

If you look at the files in that folder, you will see that they are all
quite new. WinXP continually updates them, deleting prior versions, so you
probably will see none that are over a week old. If you delete any or all
of them, WinXP will just build them again as you run the programs again.
Leave them alone; they help WinXP run faster and more efficiently.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX