Win XP pro, LOGON to Win NT4 Domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 3, 2004 11:30:44 AM

To all;

My customer wants to upgrade their systems

(Win 98 work stations, and Win NT 4 Server PDC).

so I've started with the first work station, and installed

Windows XP.

Problem;

No matter what I try, I cannot LOGON to the

Win NT 4 Domain Server.

I understand about the SID of workstations, so

I created a new account on the Server(using the NT

wizard)for the new work station using all the same Groups

and Profiles as the Win98 users.

I understand that Win XP uses DNS where Win NT

uses NETBIOS so I set up the Win XP work station for

NETBIOS over TCPIP.

On the Win XP work station I right click MyComputer,

select PROPERTIES, Computer Name, then click

Network ID to "join the Domain and create a local

user account". After answering all the question, I get

"The security database on the server does not have a

computer account for this work station trust relationship".

I've done this many time, changing the Computer

Name on the Work Station, and setting a new account

on the server but can't seem to get it to work.

Anybody have experience with this?

Bruce Houghton

PS: Work Groups appear to work some what but that not

what they want.
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 11:30:45 AM

Not sure if this is the same problem I was having getting an XP Pro machine onto an NT 4 network but try going to the local security policy of the XP Pro PC, in the Local Policy - security options and find "Domain member: Digitally encrypt, or sign secure channel data(always)" - if this is set to enabled, disable it then should be able to get onto the NT domain
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 9:25:18 PM

Thank you Alf but the thing still does not work.
There must be something in the server where
the USERID is check against a list for "TRUSTED
RELATIONSHIP", but I will be damned if I can
find it.
Bruce Houghton

"Alf King" <info@akcomputing.co.uk> wrote in message
> Not sure if this is the same problem I was having getting an XP Pro
machine onto an NT 4 network but try going to the local security policy of
the XP Pro PC, in the Local Policy - security options and find "Domain
member: Digitally encrypt, or sign secure channel data(always)" - if this is
set to enabled, disable it then should be able to get onto the NT domain
May 5, 2004 9:25:19 PM

This article may help. Also try without first creating the computer account
on Windows NT server.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272237

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bruce Houghton" wrote:
| Thank you Alf but the thing still does not work.
| There must be something in the server where
| the USERID is check against a list for "TRUSTED
| RELATIONSHIP", but I will be damned if I can
| find it.
| Bruce Houghton
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 10:59:55 PM

Thank you both...
My problem was simple, I forgot to add the new
USERID to the GROUP that the company uses.
All is well, now I can get on with the upgrades.
Bruce Houghton

news:o ctDLkuMEHA.3208@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!