Win XP pro, LOGON to Win NT4 Domain

To all;

My customer wants to upgrade their systems

(Win 98 work stations, and Win NT 4 Server PDC).

so I've started with the first work station, and installed

Windows XP.

Problem;

No matter what I try, I cannot LOGON to the

Win NT 4 Domain Server.

I understand about the SID of workstations, so

I created a new account on the Server(using the NT

wizard)for the new work station using all the same Groups

and Profiles as the Win98 users.

I understand that Win XP uses DNS where Win NT

uses NETBIOS so I set up the Win XP work station for

NETBIOS over TCPIP.

On the Win XP work station I right click MyComputer,

select PROPERTIES, Computer Name, then click

Network ID to "join the Domain and create a local

user account". After answering all the question, I get

"The security database on the server does not have a

computer account for this work station trust relationship".

I've done this many time, changing the Computer

Name on the Work Station, and setting a new account

on the server but can't seem to get it to work.

Anybody have experience with this?

Bruce Houghton

PS: Work Groups appear to work some what but that not

what they want.
4 answers Last reply
More about logon domain
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Not sure if this is the same problem I was having getting an XP Pro machine onto an NT 4 network but try going to the local security policy of the XP Pro PC, in the Local Policy - security options and find "Domain member: Digitally encrypt, or sign secure channel data(always)" - if this is set to enabled, disable it then should be able to get onto the NT domain
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Thank you Alf but the thing still does not work.
    There must be something in the server where
    the USERID is check against a list for "TRUSTED
    RELATIONSHIP", but I will be damned if I can
    find it.
    Bruce Houghton

    "Alf King" <info@akcomputing.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Not sure if this is the same problem I was having getting an XP Pro
    machine onto an NT 4 network but try going to the local security policy of
    the XP Pro PC, in the Local Policy - security options and find "Domain
    member: Digitally encrypt, or sign secure channel data(always)" - if this is
    set to enabled, disable it then should be able to get onto the NT domain
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    This article may help. Also try without first creating the computer account
    on Windows NT server.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272237

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Bruce Houghton" wrote:
    | Thank you Alf but the thing still does not work.
    | There must be something in the server where
    | the USERID is check against a list for "TRUSTED
    | RELATIONSHIP", but I will be damned if I can
    | find it.
    | Bruce Houghton
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Thank you both...
    My problem was simple, I forgot to add the new
    USERID to the GROUP that the company uses.
    All is well, now I can get on with the upgrades.
    Bruce Houghton

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > This article may help. Also try without first creating the computer
    account
    > on Windows NT server.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272237
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Bruce Houghton" wrote:
    > | Thank you Alf but the thing still does not work.
    > | There must be something in the server where
    > | the USERID is check against a list for "TRUSTED
    > | RELATIONSHIP", but I will be damned if I can
    > | find it.
    > | Bruce Houghton

Domain Windows XP Servers Windows