  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2005 9:51:50 PM

Hello!
How does one (wireless network) a win 98 2nd edition machine with a
bunch of xp machines?Allready have xp boxes hooked up wireless to a net work
with broadband internet and a Belkin Mimo wireless router.
Do you have to install the internet connection sharring software?

Thks in advance
JahT

More about : win98 2nd win network wireless

September 9, 2005 9:51:51 PM

JanH wrote:

> Hello!
> How does one (wireless network) a win 98 2nd edition machine with
> bunch of xp machines?Allready have xp boxes hooked up wireless to a
> net work with broadband internet and a Belkin Mimo wireless router.
> Do you have to install the internet connection sharring software?
>
> Thks in advance
> JahT

No, you don't need to install ICS - that would break the networking! If
you are connecting the Win98 box wired, just set it to get its IP and
DNS automatically, plug it in and reboot. You might need to run the
Internet Connection Wizard (Internet Properties from Control Panel),
but that might not be necessary. If you want to use a wireless card,
you'll need to follow whatever installation instructions come with the
card.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Thanks Malke,
will try right now and post later with outcome!!
thanks for the really Quick comeback!!
:>)
jaht
> JanH wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>> How does one (wireless network) a win 98 2nd edition machine with
>> bunch of xp machines?Allready have xp boxes hooked up wireless to a
>> net work with broadband internet and a Belkin Mimo wireless router.
>> Do you have to install the internet connection sharring software?
>>
>> Thks in advance
>> JahT
>
> No, you don't need to install ICS - that would break the networking! If
> you are connecting the Win98 box wired, just set it to get its IP and
> DNS automatically, plug it in and reboot. You might need to run the
> Internet Connection Wizard (Internet Properties from Control Panel),
> but that might not be necessary. If you want to use a wireless card,
> you'll need to follow whatever installation instructions come with the
> card.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Related resources
September 11, 2005 3:21:39 PM

> JanH wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>> How does one (wireless network) a win 98 2nd edition machine with
>> bunch of xp machines?Allready have xp boxes hooked up wireless to a
>> net work with broadband internet and a Belkin Mimo wireless router.
>> Do you have to install the internet connection sharring software?
>>
>> Thks in advance
>> JahT
>
> No, you don't need to install ICS - that would break the networking! If

You are correct that it isnt needed UNLESS the 98 machine is the one all
Internet is going through but you arent right about it breaking the network.
I have an old 98SE machine I used to go through for all Internet and built
this machine and have XP Pro on it, bought a wireless ADSL router/modem and
bought USB wireless nics and put them on all machines and the router down
the other end of the house. Nothing is broken. All worked OK until I smashed
the NIC on the 98SE machine at which point I connected it WIRED to a wired
only hub I had sitting around and that to this computer and now have it
going through the wired to the wireless on THIS computer which has ICS now
enabled. I never turned ICS off on the 98SE machine and it is STILL going
just fine.
September 11, 2005 3:21:40 PM

Greg wrote:

> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> JanH wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>> How does one (wireless network) a win 98 2nd edition machine
>>> with a
>>> bunch of xp machines?Allready have xp boxes hooked up wireless to a
>>> net work with broadband internet and a Belkin Mimo wireless router.
>>> Do you have to install the internet connection sharring software?
>>>
>>> Thks in advance
>>> JahT
>>
>> No, you don't need to install ICS - that would break the networking!
>> If
>
> You are correct that it isnt needed UNLESS the 98 machine is the one
> all Internet is going through
(snip)

Right, but s/he already said s/he has a router, so no need for ICS.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
September 12, 2005 2:50:52 AM

> Greg wrote:
>

>> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message

>>> No, you don't need to install ICS - that would break the networking!
>>> If
>>
>> You are correct that it isnt needed UNLESS the 98 machine is the one
>> all Internet is going through
> (snip)
>
> Right, but s/he already said s/he has a router, so no need for ICS.

.....which wasn't the point of my reply. That was one entire sentence saying
it isn't needed unless the 98 machine is the one used for internet. Your
reply said having ICS on the machine would break networking. It wont.
!