Sign in with
Your question

Non-overclocked computer overheated problem!

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Fan
  • Graphics Cards
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 29, 2005 4:26:00 AM

Hi. I have a Pentium 4 2.0 GHZ processor and 5 fans. power supply fan, CPU fan, Graphic card fan, Wall fan (for cooling graphic card? And a big desktop fan (my case is always open).My CPU temp sometimes go down at 23 celcius.
My normal CPU temp is: 32 degree celcius. no problem now but when i play a game or watching video, the temp is climbing and climbing. For games, when it at 65 degree, my comp stop (protecting?) for videos at 45 degree, my comp stop. (wtf?) I turned off my computer and i seen behind my CPU fan a LOT of dust (cant see heatsink only brown!!) i cleaned it helped a little but temp still climbing. My normal CPU fan is spinning at: 2600 RPM (3000 RPM when playing a game). What should i do? Putting more fans? Speeding up my fan with SpeedFan? Please help me

Maypep_Necro

More about : overclocked computer overheated problem

January 1, 2006 12:58:21 PM

Well, first, clean it out really good, like REALLY good.
Then, since i'm about to suggest taking off your heatsink and putting arctic silver under it and making sure that's really good, you might as well buy a new, better heatsink.
I'd suggest something with heatpipes in it, they work REALLY well at getting rid of heat, and it will be more consistent.
I had the same problem with my socket A 2200+, and I put a small fan on my northbridge since it was actually THAT that was doing it, and I also bundled up my wires. The wires helped make it about 2 degrees cooler in there (idle temps) and the fan on the NB made it just right. Then i put in a new heatsink, and wow, i went from 45 C regular down to 35 C regular. Talk about a difference!!!
January 2, 2006 7:55:19 PM

I cleaned my heatsink and now in idle its 24 degree celcius. i know its VERY low but when i start a game it grow to 45 degree then my computer stop. What should i do?
Related resources
January 3, 2006 9:11:36 PM

Quote:
I cleaned my heatsink and now in idle its 24 degree celcius. i know its VERY low but when i start a game it grow to 45 degree then my computer stop. What should i do?

What are you running to make it increase so quickly?
Check your voltages in your bios, make sure you're not feeding it too much and frying it. It shouldn't increase like that, maybe to 35, but not from 24 to 45.
January 8, 2006 10:51:57 PM

games like battlefield vietnam and my power is okay
January 9, 2006 1:10:43 AM

Too many fans are useless if they are put in mixed air (hot/cold) and continuously circulated in a small area. You may need to re-seat the heatsink.. clean and re-apply thermal paste(arctic silver preferbly). The rapid heating could be caused by a combination of CPU Load heat along with video card, and chipset heat mixed in.. a good way to make use of all the fans is to provide ducting in order to maximize your cooling efficency.

This here is a guide to creating such ducting:
http://overclockers.com/tips1187/
January 9, 2006 8:13:18 PM

i just found something about the Voltages. normaly my power for +5v are: 5,107v. Sometimes, it go at 6,871v for about 3 secs then it goes down at 5,107v it is normal? and what the +5v for? +12v are for fans but whats about the +5v?
January 9, 2006 10:10:35 PM

Anything over 6 is a little nutso. Check and see if you have something set too high in your bios. You might have changed it thinking it was something else. Make sure everything is set to "stock" settings at first and let us know what you find. If you're at "stock" then it may just be time for a different motherboard. If it is going from 5.000 to 5.100, that's not a big deal. 6.000 is crazy.
January 9, 2006 10:56:31 PM

ugh i use ASUS P4S8X-X . all stock. but it only happend my 2 times its maybe a sensor problem?
January 10, 2006 12:23:24 AM

if it's a "sensor" problem, it's probably a sensor on the MB.
What do you mean it only happened 2 times? Do you mean that it is regular temperatures 99% of the time, and you had a couple flukes? How are you monitoring temperatures?
January 10, 2006 8:20:35 PM

my voltages have only go to 6.000 2 times and i use a software for monitor.
And i don't know why, all my cards like graphic , sounds and other cards are backwards. is this normal?
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2006 6:41:28 AM

It sounds like your power supply is failing. Then again, if it's a cheap one it probably started out a failure and just got worse.
January 13, 2006 8:03:11 PM

Quote:
It sounds like your power supply is failing. Then again, if it's a cheap one it probably started out a failure and just got worse.

OKIA switching power supply 420W MAX with fan semi working (sometimes it,
it dont spin but i restard PC and it working.)
IT only got 2 years.
August 12, 2007 4:44:09 AM

EDIT: I changed computer, so everything is alright.
!