Sign in with
Your question

ASUS K8S-LA Fan controller chip burnout.

Last response: in Motherboards
December 29, 2005 4:54:30 AM

After a dramatic display of smoke and glow, the chip that I believe controls the case-mounted fan on my motherboard burnt out, leaving my room with the fresh scent of burnt silicon. At first I thought the whole motherboard was shot, but when it started up, only without the fan spinning, I guessed it must have been that chip. I believe it was caused by a short in the wiring to the fan, as evidenced by the stripping of part of the positive wire, but that's not what I am looking for.

It is an HP Media Center, with an Athlon 64 3400+, and still functions coolly with an external fan blowing on it, but I want to find a more complete solution. It is out of warranty, and I am contemplating one of several options: One, send the motherboard to them and wait for them to return me a new one, two, go to someone A+ certified and hope they can solder a new chip in its place, or three, if the above don't seem to work, then just up and buy a new motherboard. I'd like to get away with another option, through the use of a fan controller, but it seems that all products I've seen require a connection to a fan slot on the motherboard. Could this work, given I find one that doesn't require such a connection, or use the processor fan's connection, or would that route work at all?
December 29, 2005 3:23:15 PM

I once connected my CPU fan to a fan controller mad by sunbeam. it does not requier power from a fan connector, but a 4 pins header from the PSU. I could adjust the speed to have a quiet system. this shold do dood for you. Or, you could connect the fan to the red wire of a PSU header.. it is a 5v header, so your fan won't turn as fas as if it was connected to 12 volts and more quiet.
January 2, 2006 3:46:56 PM

Quote:
i've seen require a connection to a fan slot on the motherboard

i believe your on about the fan speed wire its basically there so the MB alarm doesnt sound because theres no CPU fan plugged in...ive not seen a controller without a 4 pin PSU socket so i think thats what youve been looking at. the MB would NOT be able to give enough power to several fans through a 3pin conenctor.
January 2, 2006 3:57:28 PM

Quote:
i've seen require a connection to a fan slot on the motherboard

i believe your on about the fan speed wire its basically there so the MB alarm doesnt sound because theres no CPU fan plugged in...ive not seen a controller without a 4 pin PSU socket so i think thats what youve been looking at. the MB would NOT be able to give enough power to several fans through a 3pin conenctor.

MB alarm can be disabled. You need to disable it for liquid cooling system ..
!