How to rename the C:WINNT folder on a live running server?

I have a live running server with WinNt installed in
C:\winnt. How do I rename this folder without
reinstalling the whole system?
3 answers Last reply
More about rename winnt folder live running server
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Not that easy and will certainly break everything. What are you trying to
    do?

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "Thomas Tja" <kctja@jerneh.com.my> wrote in message
    > I have a live running server with WinNt installed in
    > C:\winnt. How do I rename this folder without
    > reinstalling the whole system?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    The SystemRoot folder value may contain hard-coded values
    in the Registry and other configuration and legacy config
    files.
    There is no guarantee that all Windows applications,
    especially designed for Windows NT will work with a folder
    other than C:\WINNT.
    It is highly recommended you do not change the name of the
    system folder.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Hi everyone,

    I have successfully in past managed to move an NT4.0 installation to another
    partition on a system - which changes the drive letter (so C:\winnt becomes for
    example f:\winnt) Immediately after the move, several apps were broken - it
    required a fair bit of search and repair work on paths hardcoded in the registry
    to get everything back to normal.

    In all honesty, unless you have a really good reason for doing it, I wouldn't
    recommend doing what you propose. If you do try, be prepared for a fair bit of
    work to iron out the consequences.

    Calvin.

Microsoft Servers Windows