How to rename the C:WINNT folder on a live running server?

I have a live running server with WinNt installed in
C:\winnt. How do I rename this folder without
reinstalling the whole system?

Not that easy and will certainly break everything. What are you trying to
do?

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Thomas Tja" <kctja@jerneh.com.my> wrote in message
> I have a live running server with WinNt installed in
> C:\winnt. How do I rename this folder without
> reinstalling the whole system?

The SystemRoot folder value may contain hard-coded values
in the Registry and other configuration and legacy config
files.
There is no guarantee that all Windows applications,
especially designed for Windows NT will work with a folder
other than C:\WINNT.
It is highly recommended you do not change the name of the
system folder.

Calvin

Hi everyone,

I have successfully in past managed to move an NT4.0 installation to another
partition on a system - which changes the drive letter (so C:\winnt becomes for
example f:\winnt) Immediately after the move, several apps were broken - it
required a fair bit of search and repair work on paths hardcoded in the registry
to get everything back to normal.

In all honesty, unless you have a really good reason for doing it, I wouldn't
recommend doing what you propose. If you do try, be prepared for a fair bit of
work to iron out the consequences.

Calvin.