Wireless cards can't be installed--"Cannot find file speci..

Hello all,
I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with Win XP SP2 on it. I have been trying to
install a wireless networking card but have been getting a frustrating error
over and over. I've used 3 different cards (D-Link DWL-520, DWL-G510, and
TRENDNet TEW-403PIplus) in every single PCI slot in my computer, updated the
drivers from the websites all to no avail. Every single time, when windows
reboots and finds the card and tries to install it, I get an error stating
that "There was a problem installing this hardware. the system cannot find
the file specified." Try to update the drivers again, disable/enable, all to
no avail. At first I thought I had a bad NIC, then maybe even a second, but
I can't believe I've got 3 cards all with the same problem, in all the PCI
slots in my computer, so I think it must be Windows.
If anyone has anyway to fix this problem, I will forever speak highly of
you! :)
Thanks in Advance.
-Luke

Also, I've updated the BIOS on my motherboard from A05 to A09. Still no luck.

"GLFifer" wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with Win XP SP2 on it. I have been trying to
> install a wireless networking card but have been getting a frustrating error
> over and over. I've used 3 different cards (D-Link DWL-520, DWL-G510, and
> TRENDNet TEW-403PIplus) in every single PCI slot in my computer, updated the
> drivers from the websites all to no avail. Every single time, when windows
> reboots and finds the card and tries to install it, I get an error stating
> that "There was a problem installing this hardware. the system cannot find
> the file specified." Try to update the drivers again, disable/enable, all to
> no avail. At first I thought I had a bad NIC, then maybe even a second, but
> I can't believe I've got 3 cards all with the same problem, in all the PCI
> slots in my computer, so I think it must be Windows.
> If anyone has anyway to fix this problem, I will forever speak highly of
> you! :)
> Thanks in Advance.
> -Luke

This can be caused by some 3rd party software that wants to
hook wireless conections.
Check file %windir%\setupapi.log and the event log.
This should give some clues... otherwise you may need to reinstal Windows.
--PA

"GLFifer" <GLFifer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CCB7D71-8EFE-4949-BCB1-7555440446B6@microsoft.com...
> Hello all,
> I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with Win XP SP2 on it. I have been trying to
> install a wireless networking card but have been getting a frustrating error
> over and over. I've used 3 different cards (D-Link DWL-520, DWL-G510, and
> TRENDNet TEW-403PIplus) in every single PCI slot in my computer, updated the
> drivers from the websites all to no avail. Every single time, when windows
> reboots and finds the card and tries to install it, I get an error stating
> that "There was a problem installing this hardware. the system cannot find
> the file specified." Try to update the drivers again, disable/enable, all to
> no avail. At first I thought I had a bad NIC, then maybe even a second, but
> I can't believe I've got 3 cards all with the same problem, in all the PCI
> slots in my computer, so I think it must be Windows.
> If anyone has anyway to fix this problem, I will forever speak highly of
> you! :)
> Thanks in Advance.
> -Luke

I had a similar problem with my Dell Dimension XPS t750r (Win '98), so I
updated to Win XP, but this didn't entirely fix my problem; I tried
reinstalling the Linksys driver but I was told that I needed to uninstall
the Linksys software before I could reinstall it, so I tried this, but it
wouldn't "uninstall"! Finally, after moving the adapter to a different PCI
slot (though Device Manager told me there was no conflicts and the device
was working properly), Windows found it and completed the hardware
installation. The PCI slot where I first plugged the Linksys into, is the
same slot where I had a 3Com ethernet card plugged in, though I removed it
in Device Manager before physically removing it from the PCI slot! Makes me
wonder if there's something wrong with that PCI slot?

Don't expect much help from Linksys, they'll just play the blame-game and
you'll have to constantly ask them to repeat what they're saying because of
their heavy foriegn accent; an interpreter, if you have one available, would
be a big help!

Good luck!

Ray

ATEC

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

GLFifer wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with Win XP SP2 on it. I have been trying to
> install a wireless networking card but have been getting a frustrating error
> over and over. I've used 3 different cards (D-Link DWL-520, DWL-G510, and
> TRENDNet TEW-403PIplus) in every single PCI slot in my computer, updated the
> drivers from the websites all to no avail. Every single time, when windows
> reboots and finds the card and tries to install it, I get an error stating
> that "There was a problem installing this hardware. the system cannot find
> the file specified." Try to update the drivers again, disable/enable, all to
> no avail. At first I thought I had a bad NIC, then maybe even a second, but
> I can't believe I've got 3 cards all with the same problem, in all the PCI
> slots in my computer, so I think it must be Windows.
> If anyone has anyway to fix this problem, I will forever speak highly of
> you! :)
> Thanks in Advance.
> -Luke
Have you tried installing the software in safe mode and then rebooting ?
( copy the files onto the drive 1st)

"atec" <atec77@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message news:4323086d$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...

> Have you tried installing the software in safe mode and then rebooting ?
> ( copy the files onto the drive 1st)

Sorry but this is a bad idea. Safe mode is not intended for installing software
(the Installer service even won't start in safe mode ).

--PA

Thanks to all for the advice.
I have always installed software first, turned off the computer, installed
card and rebooted. Each of the 3 cards has been through this process in each
PCI slot on my computer, always with the same results. Interestingly, all
other cards work fine no matter which PCI slot they're in, so I don't think I
just have a dead slot. I've manually changed the IRQ's in Setup mode, only
to succede in messing up my display adapters.
I have flashed my motherboard's BIOS to the latest available from Dell
(version A09).
I have cleared my NVRAM to try and remove any faulty memories of PnP hardware.
All of this, still to no avail. I'm starting to believe that this computer
or Windows XP on this computer, simply don't want to be wireless! Afraid to
cut the cord so to speak.
Thanks again for all the ideas and your help.

"itemyar" wrote:

> I had a similar problem with my Dell Dimension XPS t750r (Win '98), so I
> updated to Win XP, but this didn't entirely fix my problem; I tried
> reinstalling the Linksys driver but I was told that I needed to uninstall
> the Linksys software before I could reinstall it, so I tried this, but it
> wouldn't "uninstall"! Finally, after moving the adapter to a different PCI
> slot (though Device Manager told me there was no conflicts and the device
> was working properly), Windows found it and completed the hardware
> installation. The PCI slot where I first plugged the Linksys into, is the
> same slot where I had a 3Com ethernet card plugged in, though I removed it
> in Device Manager before physically removing it from the PCI slot! Makes me
> wonder if there's something wrong with that PCI slot?
>
> Don't expect much help from Linksys, they'll just play the blame-game and
> you'll have to constantly ask them to repeat what they're saying because of
> their heavy foriegn accent; an interpreter, if you have one available, would
> be a big help!
>
> Good luck!
>
> Ray

ATEC

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Pavel A. wrote:
> "atec" <atec77@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message news:4323086d$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>

>>Have you tried installing the software in safe mode and then rebooting ?
>>( copy the files onto the drive 1st)
>

> Sorry but this is a bad idea. Safe mode is not intended for installing software
> (the Installer service even won't start in safe mode ).
>
> --PA

it does work ,

I am having the same problem. I have downloaded my drivers, then I follow
instruction to install card and the computer freezes up while the files are
being transfered. Did you find an answer. Mike

"GLFifer" wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with Win XP SP2 on it. I have been trying to
> install a wireless networking card but have been getting a frustrating error
> over and over. I've used 3 different cards (D-Link DWL-520, DWL-G510, and
> TRENDNet TEW-403PIplus) in every single PCI slot in my computer, updated the
> drivers from the websites all to no avail. Every single time, when windows
> reboots and finds the card and tries to install it, I get an error stating
> that "There was a problem installing this hardware. the system cannot find
> the file specified." Try to update the drivers again, disable/enable, all to
> no avail. At first I thought I had a bad NIC, then maybe even a second, but
> I can't believe I've got 3 cards all with the same problem, in all the PCI
> slots in my computer, so I think it must be Windows.
> If anyone has anyway to fix this problem, I will forever speak highly of
> you! :)
> Thanks in Advance.
> -Luke

Nope. I've just about given up. Hope you have better luck!

"Mike 62 confused" wrote:

> I am having the same problem. I have downloaded my drivers, then I follow
> instruction to install card and the computer freezes up while the files are
> being transfered. Did you find an answer. Mike
>
> "GLFifer" wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> > I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with Win XP SP2 on it. I have been trying to
> > install a wireless networking card but have been getting a frustrating error
> > over and over. I've used 3 different cards (D-Link DWL-520, DWL-G510, and
> > TRENDNet TEW-403PIplus) in every single PCI slot in my computer, updated the
> > drivers from the websites all to no avail. Every single time, when windows
> > reboots and finds the card and tries to install it, I get an error stating
> > that "There was a problem installing this hardware. the system cannot find
> > the file specified." Try to update the drivers again, disable/enable, all to
> > no avail. At first I thought I had a bad NIC, then maybe even a second, but
> > I can't believe I've got 3 cards all with the same problem, in all the PCI
> > slots in my computer, so I think it must be Windows.
> > If anyone has anyway to fix this problem, I will forever speak highly of
> > you! :)
> > Thanks in Advance.
> > -Luke

Tee

Hi All,

I realize this topic is 'old', however, I still have the same problem. I have researched this...forever. Is thre a solution ? I've tried everything mentioned and some. BTW, this problem also happens with a wired network card.

Tee