I have a HP Desk Jet 812c Printer.

I have a HP Desk Jet 812c Printer. Plug into the parallel port of my
Win98se computer.works OK.

The Question is can I plug the sane printer into a win XP machine useing
the USB port? (at the same time)

This would make the printer plug into to two computers?????

How does this sound.

Thanks
D.

"Dorothy" <dpost@nj.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP Desk Jet 812c Printer. Plug into the parallel port of my Win98se
>computer.works OK.
>
> The Question is can I plug the sane printer into a win XP machine useing the
> USB port? (at the same time)
>
> This would make the printer plug into to two computers?????

You can plug in both the USB and parallel ports, but the printer will only
"listen" to the first port it receives data from after the printer is powered
on. To switch to the other PC after sending a job from one PC you would have
to power the printer off and then back on. This is probably not as convenient
as you would like....

Regards,

Dorothy wrote:
> I have a HP Desk Jet 812c Printer. Plug into the parallel port of my
> Win98se computer.works OK.
>
> The Question is can I plug the sane printer into a win XP machine useing
> the USB port? (at the same time)
>
> This would make the printer plug into to two computers?????
>
> How does this sound.
>
> Thanks
> D.
Dorthy, see you took my advise and posted your question here. Bob H
was the person I was referring to and it seems what he has said was
what I had remembered.

Hope the info is of help.

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:05:36 -0700, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote:

>"Dorothy" <dpost@nj.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I have a HP Desk Jet 812c Printer. Plug into the parallel port of my Win98se
>>computer.works OK.
>>
>> The Question is can I plug the sane printer into a win XP machine useing the
>> USB port? (at the same time)
>>
>> This would make the printer plug into to two computers?????
>
>You can plug in both the USB and parallel ports, but the printer will only
>"listen" to the first port it receives data from after the printer is powered
>on. To switch to the other PC after sending a job from one PC you would have
>to power the printer off and then back on. This is probably not as convenient
>as you would like....
>
>Regards,
>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Forgive my raising an unconnected subject but in view of your connection would you give the
addresses of any newsgroups for Presario pc's and HP 840c printer. I have tried without success to
find these on the net.
With thanks

"Basil H Grose" <basil.grose@tbtinternet.cam> wrote in message

> Forgive my raising an unconnected subject but in view of your connection
> would you give the
> addresses of any newsgroups for Presario pc's and HP 840c printer. I have
> tried without success to
> find these on the net.

If your issue is with connecting a DeskJet 840 to a Presario PC just ask the
questions here (in a new thread). Give some details of the Presario model,
which OS, what problems you are having, etc. You could also ask question in
the HP business users groups at:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=415
for the DeskJet.

Regards,

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 22:00:05 -0800, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote:

>"Basil H Grose" <basil.grose@tbtinternet.cam> wrote in message
>
>> Forgive my raising an unconnected subject but in view of your connection
>> would you give the
>> addresses of any newsgroups for Presario pc's and HP 840c printer. I have
>> tried without success to
>> find these on the net.
>
>If your issue is with connecting a DeskJet 840 to a Presario PC just ask the
>questions here (in a new thread). Give some details of the Presario model,
>which OS, what problems you are having, etc. You could also ask question in
>the HP business users groups at:
>http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=415
>for the DeskJet.
>
>Regards,
>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Many thanks, I do not have any problems with the printer I want to find out more about the Presario
7477 I've inherited from my daughter which is a bag of mystery to me. I've been accustomed to
fending for myself with plain simple clones but all the gadgets buried in the 7477 seem a minefield
of unknown facilities and traps with no published books I can find to inform me. I was hoping to
find a newsgroup that could make up the deficiency and that perhaps you would be able to put me in
touch. For the record W98SE is the OS and Lotus Word Pro and Lotus 123 are installed along with Word
2000 and Works for Windows. The usual crop of virus blockers etc as well. Nothing special.
Thanks again,

> Many thanks, I do not have any problems with the printer I want to find out
> more about the Presario
> 7477 I've inherited from my daughter which is a bag of mystery to me. I've
> been accustomed to
> fending for myself with plain simple clones but all the gadgets buried in the
> 7477 seem a minefield
> of unknown facilities and traps with no published books I can find to inform
> me. I was hoping to
> find a newsgroup that could make up the deficiency and that perhaps you would
> be able to put me in
> touch.

You might take a look at the comp.sys.hp.hardware newsgroup or the HP forums
at: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=271.

Regards,