Odd windows lag problem with VIA K8T800 Pro chipset mobo

DuffDawg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Hi, I'm encountering quite an odd problem with a new machine I just put together that is somewhat hard to explain. First, here our my specs:

Soltek SL-K8TPro-939 motherboard (VIA K8T800 Pro chipset)
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (venice core)
Leadtek Geforce 6600GT video card
Gig ram

Basically, I just recently upgraded the mobo and CPU to these current specs, before I had an nforce 2 mobo with AMD athlon XP 2500+ CPU.
Ever since the upgrade, the general performance of the video in typical windows desktop applications (like web browsing) is laggy. For example, when I'm web browsing, each page that loads up you can see the whole page being drawn on the screen slower than normal. And also, any time I close a window you can see the window itself slowly close, it's almost like things are in slow motion. It's similar to the effect that happens when no video drivers are installed on a system, but not quite that drastic.

But here's the kicker, all 3D games run perfectly fine- Doom 3, Half-life 2, Quake 4, they have no lag. I have all the latest video drivers and mobo drivers, just flashed my mobo bios, I can't think of anything else that could be causing this problem. It's not a serious problem, the overall stability of the machine is fine, it's just a major annoyance...and I never got this with my old specs, which leads me to believe it has something to do with the mobo (I actually built a machine for a friend a year ago with the same video card and a VIA chipset mobo and it had the same problem).

If anyone else has experienced anything similar to this, or has anything to offer, please help! Thanks!

apocalyp5e

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I just wanted to ask:
did you try another browser like firefox, opera?
did you scan your pc for any spyware? sorry if you already did but you didn't mention in your post

btw this might not be anything but try changing the settings on your xp to best performance.... just a test

DuffDawg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Yea, i've tried firefox....doesn't help. The probably actually occurs with any windows application and any general desktop navigating. I've run adaware too, no help...and I tried changing the XP settings as well. Thanks for the tips though!

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Did you reformat and reinstall windows with the upgrade or use the old windows installation?

If you used the old installation did you remove all the old mobo and video drivers before installing the new?

Mike.

DuffDawg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Yes, a complete reformat and reinstall of windows was done with the new upgrade. I even updated my bios recently also.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i had this same problem too... this was with an amd 3700+ x700pro and gig of memory... i have agp though, the problem was that agp read wasnt turned on... for pci express it might be pci express read, but make sure thats turned on.. im sure u can check in the bios somehwere, on the ati it shows it right in catalyst, ive never owned an nvidia so i duno where it is... see if that helps... also make sure fastwrite is on too

DuffDawg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I went through my bios and found an "AGP master 1 WS Read" option and turned that on. I'm assuming that is what you meant, although it doesn't seem to have helped the problem. I also turned on AGP fast write. Do you know what these options actually do?

Also, I do have the latest VIA hyperion drivers.

Another weird thing...I threw my friend's radeon 9600 XT card in and the problem is not there. So weird! It's some odd combination with my 6600 GT and my mobo or something.

Thanks for you guy's suggestions though. Keep em comin if you think of anything else!

pat

Expert
Another weird thing...I threw my friend's radeon 9600 XT card in and the problem is not there. So weird! It's some odd combination with my 6600 GT and my mobo or something.

So, what if it was the video card??? Stop looking at the mobo.

DuffDawg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Yea, could be the video card, but the reason why I say it's a combination of the two is because this same video card worked fine with my old mobo/cpu.

pat

Expert
I don't remember who here once had a problem with a nvidia card on a nvidia motherboard. Would work fine everywhere else, but not in his computer. He finnaly went with a VIA motherboard and the card is now working fine ...

But once last question, is your video card OCed?

DuffDawg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
No, my video card is not oc'ed. That's funny, I'm having the opposite problem- my card works fine on my old nvidia mobo but with my new VIA mobo I have the problem.

I would check out any service packs for your windows version, and browser updates from your internet service provider. My browser is very slow without the updates from sbc yahoo. I have the same chipset on my ecs board.

pat

Expert
Power supply unit. But, I forgot that the games runs good so it should be sufficient.

I would try to reinstall latest nvidia drivers. Maybe something got messed up

Usually, you first install the chipset drivers then the video card ones..

DuffDawg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
It doesn't have any integrated video. I think it does have a BIOS setting for video priority...I'm pretty sure it's set to AGP (it's an AGP card). I can check though.