Pocket Player doesn't work

September 3, 2004 12:02:39 PM

I cannot get Conduits' Pocket Player to work. After a soft reset to
ensure a clean system, it runs OK the first time. But if I close it
and start it again I get an error message:
'pocketplayer' is not a valid Pocket PC application.

I've reinstalled but that made no difference.

I'm now down to 24 days left of my trial, and so far my experience is
becoming negative!

-------

Another problem is that the program doesn't make it clear that
reinstallation requires first removing PP from the Today screen.
Instead it just gives a techno-speak message about pptoday.dll still
being in use, perhaps in ROM, etc, etc. What's wrong with "Before
reinstallation, you must first remove Pocket Player from the list of
Today screen items; use Settings>Today>Items.

Could someone also tell me where the program files are located please?
Searching with Resco Explorer for targets such as 'pocketplayer',
'*player', 'conduits', I found nothing relevant except an 'unload'
link. This is after the failure to start, BTW - maybe the program is
somehow deleting itself!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

More about : pocket player work

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 2:54:28 PM

My earlier note (the second of 2 I've posted about Pocket Player
problems so far this morning) said I thought I'd now installed OK. But
that was obviously over-optimistic. After an hour or so of playing
WMAs (during which I sent my 2nd post about the Pocket plus/Reminder
conflict), I closed down. Now I've tried to start the program again,
and I'm getting
"Cannot find 'pocketplayer' (or one of its components)"....etc.

The only relevant thing I've done is to use Settings>Today>Items to
uncheck Pocket Player, as I don't want it permanently on my Today
screen. So the error arises trying to start it from Start>Programs (or
from my launcher icon in Pocket Plus).

And I've now just used Resco Explorer to try to find the program - and
I can't!

Hopefully I'll hear back from Conduits late today (UK time) but
meanwhile any idea what might be going on please? Anyone else with
similar symptoms? Seems almost as if the program is wiping itself out,
somehow triggered by unchecking the Today item in the PPC Settings...

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> My earlier note (the second of 2 I've posted about Pocket Player
> problems so far this morning) said I thought I'd now installed OK. But
> that was obviously over-optimistic. After an hour or so of playing
> WMAs (during which I sent my 2nd post about the Pocket plus/Reminder
> conflict), I closed down. Now I've tried to start the program again,
> and I'm getting
> "Cannot find 'pocketplayer' (or one of its components)"....etc.
>
> The only relevant thing I've done is to use Settings>Today>Items to
> uncheck Pocket Player, as I don't want it permanently on my Today
> screen. So the error arises trying to start it from Start>Programs (or
> from my launcher icon in Pocket Plus).
>
> And I've now just used Resco Explorer to try to find the program - and
> I can't!
>
> Hopefully I'll hear back from Conduits late today (UK time) but
> meanwhile any idea what might be going on please? Anyone else with
> similar symptoms? Seems almost as if the program is wiping itself out,
> somehow triggered by unchecking the Today item in the PPC Settings...
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
> Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.
> :confused:

Delete any shortcuts that don't work using Resco Explorer.

Find the main program using Resco, check that it works from its directory.
If all is ok copy it and paste as a shortcut where you want it- such as in
the programs directory of the Start Menu directory. If you paste directly
into the start menu sub-directory it will show on your today start menu
again.
If the program won't work when directly accessed in its directory you'll
need to reinstall. btw did you install in main memory or onto a storage
card? If a card try using main memory for any reinstall.
September 5, 2004 11:33:50 AM

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

> btw did you install in main memory or onto a storage
>card? If a card try using main memory for any reinstall.

To SD. I'm beginning to think the card is flawed. Occasionally (as in
this problem) the PPC acts as if it can't read the card. Don't think
it's a shortcuit isssue.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > btw did you install in main memory or onto a storage
> >card? If a card try using main memory for any reinstall.
>
> To SD. I'm beginning to think the card is flawed. Occasionally (as in
> this problem) the PPC acts as if it can't read the card. Don't think
> it's a shortcuit isssue.
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
> Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

Other posts in ppc groups have said they have had problems with the
connections to SD cards and recommended carefully attaching tape to the back
of the card - the added thickness adds a little to the pressure and improves
contact. I haven't tried it so don't know, but its at your risk if you try,
just be careful.
!