Don't want other users to have access to my programs...

I have three other people here in my home who use this computer. I have
several programs and applications that the others don't use. I am the only
person with system administrator rights because I bought the computer. How
can I take these off of the other users accounts?
2 answers Last reply
More about users access programs

    There is not simple solution to this, especially if you have XP Home Edition
    as opposed to XP Pro.

    First, understand that most applications weren't designed with a multi-user
    environment in mind. Hence, some applications may be available in all user
    accounts while others may only be available in the user account in which it
    is installed. Many new applications are now offering the option on
    installation to make the application available only to the current user or
    all users but it's an option you must select during installation.

    Second, if you have XP Pro, you might be able to use the Group Policy Editor
    or selectively block or grant access to specific applications. For
    information about the Group Policy Editor, please see the following
    Knowledge Base article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307882

    There is not Group Policy Editor in XP Home Edition and there's no way to
    add it to that version of XP. About all you could do under those
    circumstances is simply delete shortcuts to the specific applications in the
    specific user account. NOTE: unfortunately, in some cases, this may delete
    the shortcut in your account. Making sure to only delete the shortcuts
    under the specific user account may help but it's not perfect. You can do
    that in Explorer under Documents and Settings and the specific user.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Happy Hiker" <happyhiker_nega@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have three other people here in my home who use this computer. I have
    >several programs and applications that the others don't use. I am the only
    >person with system administrator rights because I bought the computer. How
    >can I take these off of the other users accounts?

    Hi,

    Please see:
    http://users.westelcom.com/rogersr/xpsware.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Happy Hiker" <happyhiker_nega@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have three other people here in my home who use this computer. I have
    >several programs and applications that the others don't use. I am the only
    >person with system administrator rights because I bought the computer. How
    >can I take these off of the other users accounts?

Computers Microsoft Windows XP