GA-8KNXP Not Booting, no startup beep, fans all working!

xXxplosive

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Hi All!

recently i was cleaning the fans and heatsinks of all dust and general grime, i removed the processor heatsink (cooler master hyper 6) if anyone has seen this heatsink its quite big! its a bit of a struggle getting it on and off, but i managed it in the end, after cleaning and replacing everything, i tried to boot, but all i got on the monitor was the "no signal" message... there was no startup beep as usual, the fans are all spinning. i have checked the whole computer for loose connections, that didn't work. i tried a different graphics card, that didnt work! i have been told that i may have damaged the motherboard or processor when fixing the heatsink back on, i have checked both of them and there is no sign of any damage whatsoever, no pins on the processor are bent or anything... has anyone got any ideas? i would be sooooo greatfull of any help! i cant stand not being able to use it and dont want to give up! thanks for reading!

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
Have you made sure the CPU is in good, and that you didnt mess some pins up or something. while removing the heatsink you might have deloged the cpu out a bit. Does your cpu fan come on when you turn the computer on? you might have damaged it, but ive done so much messing around with my mobo and im suprised i havnt damaged it, lol. If you can, try a diff CPU, if you have a spare one around. Ive come to learn its important to have a back up of everything in your rig so when things start to go wrong you can replace each piece by piece.

VChuck

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2003
Clear your cmos by pulling out your batteryfor at least 5min(check battery and see if thats good) .got the same moboGA-8KNXP, it is pretty finnicky and a pain at times.remember to disconnect all power cables as you do this too! don't get in a hurry either.Or guess what?! its either that or your cpu pins are not seated correctly by you wiggling that humongous HSF around (done that too)no signal and fans are spinning
usually something really simple and stupid.follow simple step by step trouble shooting procedures,or you will pay the price for being careless!

VChuck

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2003
ya gotta be kidding me right!?silicone paste? whats that? 8O
use AS-5
(why did I even answer your post,to begin with?I'm a bigger idiot than you!)

Aryajan79

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Silicon paste=Silicon compound=thermal paste=thermal compound,all are the same!
AS5=Arctic Silver 5=a very good compound.
For reinstalling a CPU,one must remove the old paste totally and wipe the CPU with alcohol(Do you know it's an Arabic word?) and then apply the new compound.One must never mix the old and new pastes.
And about "Who's the bigger idiot?!!"
I'm 14 and have 6 years experience in assembling various types of comps.I began when I was 8(like many other boys here,who make their favorite comp and never buy them from big companies).

Arya from Tehran

christ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
Fyi, some case I found some pin of cpu socket (socket 478) are open. After change the socket, MB working again.
I'm afraid maybe you must send your mobo to gigabyte RMA center :(

cheers
christ.