Win XP Pro CD Files Query

Have installed XP Pro SP1 on my new system with no problems. I want to
avoid having to use the CD if I need to restore a corrupt XP file. What
folders and files should I copy from the XP CD to a new folder on my C:
drive to effect that.

Is there anything I have to do, other than a simple "copy"? I don't want
to have a lot of unnecessary stuff in the folder.
2 answers Last reply
More about files query

    Hi,

    Copy the I386 folder to the hard drive. Change the sourcepath string under
    this key of the registry to match the new location.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Copy the I386 folder to the hard drive. Change the sourcepath string under
    > this key of the registry to match the new location.
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

    Save yourself some time. Create a slipstream installation.
    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

    The above also works for Service Pack 1a.

    Doing the above, (then copying the i386 directory) will prevent you from having
    to install the service pack again (which you would need to do every time XP
    accesses the CD, or, in your case, the i386 directory).

    courtney sends....

Windows XP Microsoft CD-Rom