• I would sell my car to get this
  • 0 %
  • Smoking hot
  • 4 %
  • something from best buy or dell
  • 22 %
  • will lag and glitch and drive me crazy
  • 18 %
  • this is a waste of money(not an option really because....)
  • 58 %
December 30, 2005 12:07:08 AM

hey everyone

I have $2500 to spend and it is used for gaming only, nothing else. i'm new to computers but i learned about what to get to speed things up :D .Basically I've saved the money for the CPU and video card, the most iportant thing in a computer.

mobo: ECS 945P-A (1.1) Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945P
$77-cheap SLi solution

CPU:Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 840
$1012-how much better can a CPU get? the amd fx cpu simply doesn't match up in the clock speed and cache(2.8 vs 6.4(2x3.2) and 1mb vs 2mbx2, not that hard of a choice) Plus I hear dual core is the thing to get

Video:GIGABYTE Dual GeForce 6800GT 512MB (Dual 256MB)X2
$1108-cheap for a two 512mb video card and four core is WOW!!! plus it beats the *&&% out of ATI's X1800 card. not the 7800gtx 512 cuz i can't afford it.

HDD:Western Digital Caviar WD2000BB 200GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive X2
$172-going raid 0, cheap for the huge size

PSU-POWMAX AG II PSAG550A ATX12V 550W Power Supply
$17-70% efficiency, price

Case-Linkworld 3210-04-C2628 Black/Silver Metal ATX Mid Tower
$22 looks good for the price

everything else i can reuse. no need for cooling as my old p4 runs cool enough and cpu only gets cooler with smaller process and everything in here has cooling already

totals at 2400 so i have 100 dollar for shipping

comments, recommendation welcome

TIA

ps. why are there links added in??? i didn't make this to be a advertisement thread

More about : good kick butt gaming

December 30, 2005 12:28:43 AM

Quote:
hey everyone

I have $2500 to spend and it is used for gaming only, nothing else. i'm new to computers but i learned about what to get to speed things up :D .Basically I've saved the money for the CPU and video card, the most iportant thing in a computer.

mobo: ECS 945P-A (1.1) Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945P
$77-cheap SLi solution

CPU:Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 840
$1012-how much better can a CPU get? the amd fx cpu simply doesn't match up in the clock speed and cache(2.8 vs 6.4(2x3.2) and 1mb vs 2mbx2, not that hard of a choice) Plus I hear dual core is the thing to get

Video:GIGABYTE Dual GeForce 6800GT 512MB (Dual 256MB)X2
$1108-cheap for a two 512mb video card and four core is WOW!!! plus it beats the *&&% out of ATI's X1800 card. not the 7800gtx 512 cuz i can't afford it.

HDD:Western Digital Caviar WD2000BB 200GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive X2
$172-going raid 0, cheap for the huge size

PSU-POWMAX AG II PSAG550A ATX12V 550W Power Supply
$17-70% efficiency, price

Case-Linkworld 3210-04-C2628 Black/Silver Metal ATX Mid Tower
$22 looks good for the price

everything else i can reuse. no need for cooling as my old p4 runs cool enough and cpu only gets cooler with smaller process and everything in here has cooling already

totals at 2400 so i have 100 dollar for shipping

comments, recommendation welcome

TIA

ps. why are there links added in??? i didn't make this to be a advertisement thread

CPU: Are you kiddin'? Please, clock speed doesn't matter any more. AMDs dualcores will kick ass with your CPU. Plus the use less power and emits less heat. This Intel CPU is a waste of money.

If you want to game it's all about your graphics card. CPU doesn't matter.
Get a geforce 7800GTX or a X1800XT and a AMD64 3500+ or something similar. It will kicka ass with your system and it will be alot cheaper.
December 30, 2005 1:16:15 AM

AMD is the best choice, but if you got a nice budget then a few more questions need to be answered. First, whats your skill level? Do you plan to carry it to lans alot or mostly at home?

Ok, if your pretty good at this and dont move around alot then a watercooled rig is a good idea.

Get a dual core opteron for socket 939. The 165 or 170. DFI Expert mobo, about $199 but has EVERYTHIGN you could want in a mobo and overclocks better than anything. The opteron cause it is a 1.8 or 2.0ghz chip with 1MB L2 cache for less than a 4400 or 4800 would be and it overclocks much better than an AMD X2 does. Opterons are binned to be cooler chips. With H2O you can likely get upwards of 3ghz with each core. The previous poster is right, the 840 EE is nice but no where near as strong as the AMDs.

Get 2GB of ram in a 1GB x 2 format. Room to grow if you need to and 4 sticks dont OC nearly as well as 2. The Patriot 2.3.2.5 kit is nice for $225ish off of newegg. Its samsung TCCD based and will fly and OC like mad.

The video recomendation is good too. The 7800GTX is the best there is and will blow that mess away you selected, BIG time. SLI isnt perfect, theres poor game support. It'll get better someday though...

Also be aware the new cards from both companies should be in in a couple months. The ATI is known to be a 48 pipe card allready. Rumor has it the nVidia is gonna be a dual core, basically dual 7800s but on one chip. You could get a 6800 GS for now and get the upgraded cards in a few months...you'd still be sooo fast.

Be aware that both Intel and AMD are swapping chip formats (intel did this week actually with the 955EE chip to replace what you posted) and AMD is switching sockets all together in may. If you wanna be senseless bout your purchase go for the faster chips, but it wont do ya much good. A good QUIET watercooling rig is gonna blow it away.

Hide
Related resources
December 30, 2005 1:48:26 AM

Are you serious Dude?

If you are going to build a gaming machine, AMD is the only way to go. Not only do you get your better bang for your buck, AMD64 run a lot cooler. Just my opinion. Intel is great for surfing the web but if you are going to game, you had better go with AMD.
December 30, 2005 2:18:07 AM

thanks for the advice everybody, i'm gonna go with the AMD X2's instead. Don understand overcloking and don want to.

as for the memory, my friend told me i can save a lot of money by converting Windows's virtual memory(about 2gb) to "physical" memory by using a program called RamRaider. but i cant find this thing anywhere, anybody know where i can get it?

thanks
December 30, 2005 2:20:16 AM

Quote:
thanks for the advice everybody, i'm gonna go with the AMD X2's instead. Don understand overcloking and don want to.

as for the memory, my friend told me i can save a lot of money by converting Windows's virtual memory(about 2gb) to "physical" memory by using a program called RamRaider. but i cant find this thing anywhere, anybody know where i can get it?

thanks

AMD x2 is a good choice but remember to get a High-end graphics card. It will give much more performance than any CPU.
December 30, 2005 5:51:05 AM

Quote:

thanks

Dont believe him, just put enough ram in it in the first p lace. 2GB if you can afford it.

The OCing is just a few settings in the BIOS...

Hide
December 30, 2005 7:04:26 AM

What everyone said, AMD. Save yourself some money get an X2 if really need dual core or save some more get 3700+ single. And then use money over 200 for sure you'd spend on that Intel and get a 7800GT or GTX! That will be most important.

And your friend... get 2X1gb RAM. I am an OC n00b many guides that lay it out simply and people here very helpful =) Can always do it if feeling up to. If really dont ever want anything to do with it, fine =) Then get VS RAM save some more. 2.5 lat.

And a new case, not sure about your choice... dont overlook case you want one that'll last and have good ventillation and cooling, and set up inside and fans. For 22 and that case, not sure get that.

(oh and of course need a new mobo changing from intel. Now need to decide SLI or not, then can rec some things =)
December 30, 2005 9:09:14 PM

Umm, the FX would walk over the 840, crushing it to its former state of sand. Then it would smash the sand grains into smaller grains. But now comes the most important part, it would kill it in gaming. Though, Id go with a dual-corechip since theyre cheaper and the future is dualcore. :twisted:
December 30, 2005 9:09:34 PM

Umm, the FX would walk over the 840, crushing it to its former state of sand. Then it would smash the sand grains into smaller grains. But now comes the most important paret, it would kill it in gaming. :twisted:
December 31, 2005 12:05:25 AM

You should get a better hard drive, They have the WEstern Digital SATA2 250GB 16MB Cache Hard Drives at Newegg for $110 USD, cheaper, faster, more cache. Make sure to get a good motherboard, preferably with SATA2, but those hard drives are backwards compatible. I have one, best hard drive I ever bought.
December 31, 2005 7:54:13 AM

You said ECS motherboard, and Gaming system in the same post topic. Along with implying that a intel dual core > AMD dual core. You just earned a one way ticket to hell for these 2 reasons alone. Consider your final purchess wisely.
December 31, 2005 1:50:45 PM

ecs motherboards always gave me problems go for an premium asus board or an msi
December 31, 2005 3:45:58 PM

If you are going to spend *$1000* on a CPU and y ou want a computer for solely games your only option is an FX-57, you lucky lucky human being.
And then follow everybody else's advice about 3d cards. But wait for the x1900xtx :D rool:
December 31, 2005 6:56:02 PM

Bad choice for hard drives. Use the WD2000JB instead of BB (unless you want SATA). Trust me a slow hdd is more frustrating than almost anything else...
December 31, 2005 7:17:16 PM

with a Hard drive just go for anything that is 10000 rpm
December 31, 2005 7:50:08 PM

Yeah, please avoid the ECS board... is it really worth saving $10 or $15 to have an inferior board? And yes, AMD is the way to go... and there's a new, larger SATA-2 WD Raptor just around the corner.
December 31, 2005 8:17:33 PM

Everyone seems to be booing intel at the moment, i would buy an intel, only problem is, they suck.
December 31, 2005 8:46:55 PM

if ur gonna get it STRICTLY for gaming get an AMD 4000+ beats dual core cpus in gaming... if u want to future proof get an AMD dual core not a p4 dual core, p4 dual core suck for gaming. video card just no, 6800gt 512? waste of money, for 1100 bux too what a joke, get dual 7800gt's if ur gonna waste ur money on an SLI setup, if not get a single 7800gtx 512 or x1800xt and save urself from sli problems... dont skimp out on mobo, if u have a crap one if can slow ur comp
December 31, 2005 9:15:21 PM

Your Motherboard is very important i used to have a cpu just as fast as my brothers but he had a better motherboard and his pc was 4 times faster.
January 1, 2006 2:00:35 AM

Quote:
Your Motherboard is very important i used to have a cpu just as fast as my brothers but he had a better motherboard and his pc was 4 times faster.

!!!LOL!!! :lol: 
January 1, 2006 2:52:23 AM

Um... there is really no point in making pagefile greater than 1gb.. even if its converted into physical memory (which isn't quite possible) ... it will still lack performance, you can buy several single 1Gb Corsair chips very cheap and stick those instead.
January 1, 2006 3:18:13 AM

yea so basically this kid shouldnt be touching/using or anything else do with a computer. you should be playing monopoly instead of playing on your computer.
January 1, 2006 7:19:01 PM

It does not really matter what you buy nowadays unless you are going for a benchmarking record, just get some stuff with good numbers and a good warranty and it should run most things just fine.
January 2, 2006 4:51:10 PM

Wow.

mobo:
I must admit I've never heard of ECS, but if you're throwing a $1k CPU into a rig a good mobo will be well worth the investment.

CPU:
As the previous posters have stated, there are better CPUs out there for less money.

Video:
Single 7800GTX 512 would be a better investment. It is the king of the hill right now with numbers around 6 series SLI.

PSU:
???? 70% efficiency? You should really check out the forumz threads on PSUs. A good PSU is vital to system stability and longevity.

My advice: Do some more research, look at fairly priced good quality parts, & think about price / performance ratios so you can get the best bang for your $2500.

Fritz
January 4, 2006 1:06:26 AM

I agree with most of the people in here. AMD is the way to go, and I would definitely reconsider the mobo, psu and atx choices you made.

For starters, you're buying a $17 dollar PSU. The power supply is the foundation of your system, yet most people overlook this critical component. If you have an inadequate or unstable supply, you will be prone to shutdowns and instability. Buy a PSU from a reputable manufacturer like Fortron, PC Power & Cooling, or Antec. Also, make sure it's SLI rated, since you're building an SLI system that will require a large, stable energy supply. You don't have to buy a $400 PSU, but expect to spend around $120-150 for something worth putting into a high end system like you're designing.

Secondly, I would recommend going with an aluminum case, since not only is it lighter (easier to move around, work on, and carry), but it dissipates heat more efficiently than steel does. I dunno if you want to spend a little extra coin, but I really like Lian Li cases. I have one of their PC-60Plus cases, and I can't say enough good things about it. It has a sliding mobo tray, so you can easily install and work on it, everything has thumbscrews so it is super easy to work on, and the material is top quality. But if you want to go cheap...I understand. But from my experience, a cheap cases are a bitch to work on, install, and remove hardware from. However, if there was something to cut costs on, this is probably your safest option to go bargain basement cost with.

I noticed you didn't mention anything about memory...I wouldn't recomend overlooking this component either. I know certain mobos like the high-end SLI DFI LanParty & Abit Fatal1ty mobos won't post or will have problems with cheap memory, or memory from 2 different manufacturers in the same system.

Good luck, man! I am jealous of the tough choices you are trying to make! I wish I had that kind of budget to work with :p 
!