Un-able to access internet from server

I have an NT4.0 (SP5.0) network server I have inherited.
I am a bit illiterate at NT and want to get the internet
running on this machine. I have tried the browser and
pinging with no success. The browser does work local, but
It won't go outside. The eventviwer does not show any
failure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

Am Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:34:07 -0700 schrieb Mike G.
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>:

> I have an NT4.0 (SP5.0) network server I have inherited.
> I am a bit illiterate at NT and want to get the internet
> running on this machine. I have tried the browser and
> pinging with no success. The browser does work local, but
> It won't go outside. The eventviwer does not show any
> failure.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Hi Mike,

how do you want to access the internet? By modem, ISDN or network? If you
use
modem or ISDN you have to install RAS and configure NT as an RAS client for
outgoing calls

regard Thomas

--
Erstellt mit Operas revolutionärem E-Mail-Modul: http://www.opera.com/m2/

My setup is a cable/dsl router (Netgear) plugged into a
3Com switch plugged into my server. The router has a
static IP set in WinNT by the company that installed our
service. The server is for internal networking only. All
the computers hooked up to the network are able to access
the internet except the server itself.

Setting up a RAS is unfamiliar to me.

Thanks,
Mike

Assuming the router is a DHCP server then set the server's TCP/IP properties
to DHCP assigned for IP address and DNS. Else if statically assigned IP
address you'll need to manually assign the ISP's DNS addresses. Also set the
default gateway to that of the router address.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

My setup is a cable/dsl router (Netgear) plugged into a
3Com switch plugged into my server. The router has a
static IP set in WinNT by the company that installed our
service. The server is for internal networking only. All
the computers hooked up to the network are able to access
the internet except the server itself.

Setting up a RAS is unfamiliar to me.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

OK you will not need RAS for accessing the internet. I guess your server
will also have
a static IP, so it would be no good idea to set the server to use DHCP
except you would
add a lease for it's adress on the DHCP server (if there is one, e.g. the
router can handle this).
I think you will only have to add the router's IP as a gateway on your NT
server. By using
it's own subnetmask the server is able to decide, if the packets it is
going to send is for
the local network or for a non local network (e.g. the internet) so the
server must know
the IP of the gateway which is able to send the packets in other networks.

Please check this setting and come back if there is another problem, it
might be possible that
ther server can connect to the internet, but can not resolve host names
.... in this case
we have to check your DNS settings, can you ping an IP adress in the
internet?

regards Thomas

Am Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:44:21 -0700 schrieb

--
Erstellt mit Operas revolutionärem E-Mail-Modul: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Your gateway IP address is not configured.
Open Start > Control Panel > Network > [Protocals] > TCP/IP
> {Properties...}, change the Default Gateway setting >
{OK} > {OK} and restart Windows NT.
Set this value to the IP address of your router, such as
192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.
Once you're on the internet you should consider installing
Service Pack 6a.

Also if your server is originally set for internal use only, it is possible
someone set up packet filter on your router or on your server itself to
block communication between this server and internet.

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> píse v diskusním príspevku