Migration

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 16, 2004 11:17:05 AM

Here is what I want to do...I have an NT 4.0 server running on a machine with a SCSI hard drive. I need to migrate this setup to a new machine that has an IDE hard drive. I have tried using ghost, but I get a hardware failure at boot up, assumably because it cannot find the original SCSI drive from the first machine. Here is my question, If I upgrade the current machine to Windows 2000 Server, and then make a Ghost image of it, will plug and play detect the different hard drive in the second machine? How about if I try the same with using Sysprep before the 2000 Server image?

Thanks
--
Fred

More about : migration

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 2:34:12 PM

Add to NT4 standard IDE CDROM/Dual-channel PCI IDE Controller drivers or any
specific IDE controller drivers. Ensure atapi service is starting at Boot.
Add to the boot.ini file the pointer

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

and clone again.

If you upgrade NT to W2k first, patch it according to

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];314082
You receive a Stop 0x0000007B error after you move the Windows XP system
disk to another computer
!