Disk manager - can't image

August 16, 2004 8:52:21 PM

I bought a 200 gig hard drive and read the directions and put disk manager
on my XP C:\ and configured the big hard drive and it works real good. I
went into disk manager and went from 137 gigs to 200 gigs and I was so proud
of myself until I tried to image my C:\ with Drive Image 5.0 and because of
the Disk Manager which I can not get off and did not need in the first
place, I now can not Image my C:\. So this is the second time today I feel
stupid today. Does anyone have any suggestions for me that might help me get
an image of my C:\. I am on the phone trying to get help for Drive Image 7.0
and it has been a couple of hours now and still can not get anyone who can
tell me. If they did not have a monopoly there is no way I would buy their
product with such lousy support. I just got support and they said I need to
clean my master boot record. If anyone has any ideas for me, please tell me.

Thank You
Richard

More about : disk manager image

Anonymous
August 17, 2004 1:11:03 AM

"Richard Miller" <miller57@cox.net>
wrote in news:TMbUc.47527$Lj.15503@fed1read03:
> I bought a 200 gig hard drive and read the directions and put disk
> manager on my XP C:\ and configured the big hard drive and it works
> real good. I went into disk manager and went from 137 gigs to 200
> gigs and I was so proud of myself until I tried to image my C:\ with
> Drive Image 5.0 and because of the Disk Manager which I can not get
> off and did not need in the first place, I now can not Image my C:\.
> So this is the second time today I feel stupid today. Does anyone
> have any suggestions for me that might help me get an image of my
> C:\. I am on the phone trying to get help for Drive Image 7.0 and it
> has been a couple of hours now and still can not get anyone who can
> tell me. If they did not have a monopoly there is no way I would buy
> their product with such lousy support. I just got support and they
> said I need to clean my master boot record. If anyone has any ideas
> for me, please tell me.
>
> Thank You
> Richard

If Disk Manager is an overlay program to provide support for large
drives due to your BIOS not supporting INT13 extensions then you may
have not needed it. If your BIOS provides INT13 extensions (most do in
the last 4 years) then the overlay program was not needed. It replaces
the bootstrap program in your MBR (master boot record, which is sector 0
on the first physical hard drive scanned by the BIOS and is not part of
any partition). The replaces the standard bootstrap program ("standard"
is a bit of a misnomer since the bootstrap program has been different
and gotten slightly larger from DOS to Windows 95 to Windows NT/2K, but
it basically performs the same "standard" function of loading the boot
sector from the primary partition marked as active in the MBR's
partition table).

If you don't need the overlay manager, you need to replace the bootstrap
program in the MBR. For Windows XP, boot into Recovery Console mode and
use FIXMBR (see http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307654 although you
don't really have to install it but can instead boot from the Windows
install CD and select the first "Repair" option). I believe an older
alternate was to boot using a DOS-bootable floppy (you can get images
for them from www.bootdisk.com) and use "FDISK /MBR". This overwrites
the first 460 bytes of the MBR (which is the bootstrap area) with the
"standard" bootstrap program.

By the way, DriveImage 5.0 is too old to handle NTFS5 (which became
available since Service Pack 6 for Windows NT 4.0). Then you mention
DriveImage 7.0. So which one do you actually have? I don't know if
DI5.0 will handle drives over 137GB big, and you'll probably need DI6.0
(also called DI 2002) at a minimum.

Since disk images are really partition images, and since the partition
table in the MBR is unaffected whether you use the standard bootstrap
program or an overlay manager, I don't know why DI would not let you
save an image. But then you didn't mention what error you got when
attempting to save an image file set. You obviously cannot save the
image files on the same drive that you are trying to image, so the
problem might be with whatever media to which you were saving the
file(s) for the drive image. I am also surprised that Symantec (who, as
the software predator they are, bought Powerquest) wouldn't tell you how
to "clean the master boot record." You sure you didn't make it sound
like you knew what that was and prematurely ended the tech call? I also
have to wonder if you didn't follow the instructions for the overlay
program. Those that I remember using would first perform a check to see
if they were really needed, and would NOT install if your BIOS already
supported large drives, but then I haven't needed an overlay manager for
about 4 years. If the overlay manager install program actually did
install itself into the MBR then I would suspect you really do need it
(i.e., your computer's motherboard is too old and the BIOS won't support
large drives), but you never mentioned what happened or what errored
when you tried using DriveImage.

August 17, 2004 1:11:04 AM

Disk Manage is an overlay program on my MBR and no I didn't need it. I have
XP Pro with SP1 which gets my computer to see all 200 megs and yes I
followed the instructions word by word. I just didn't know that I didn't
need it and I didn't know that I would not be able to image any more. I took
a look at FIXMBR in the Recovery Console and it said that I might not have
access to my partitions which scared me so I didn't use it, afraid to. I'm
not sure what I'm going to do. But this has been a good lesson I won't
forget. I will probably disconnect my secondary drive and go to the Recovery
Console and use FIXMBR and if I have to I will just re-install my XP OS, but
the Data on the secondary drive will be safe, because it will be unplugged.

Thanks for the Info
Anymore info will be appreciated

Richard

> [...]
> to "clean the master boot record." You sure you didn't make it sound
> like you knew what that was and prematurely ended the tech call? I also
> have to wonder if you didn't follow the instructions for the overlay
> program. Those that I remember using would first perform a check to see
> if they were really needed, and would NOT install if your BIOS already
> supported large drives, but then I haven't needed an overlay manager for
> about 4 years. If the overlay manager install program actually did
> install itself into the MBR then I would suspect you really do need it
> (i.e., your computer's motherboard is too old and the BIOS won't support
> large drives), but you never mentioned what happened or what errored
> when you tried using DriveImage.

> ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
> Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

August 17, 2004 2:22:08 AM

Yes unplug your data drive so you don't get it messed up. If the Disk Manage
program is an overlay program you must have installed it somehow. Read the
documentation for removing it.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp