First time over clocking. what to do?

IRanNaked

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Hey it's my first time overclocking a CPU and i was wonder a couple of things. 1. is it really nessary to do? 2. What will I gain from it? 3. Does it improve FPS in games? 4. Does it make the CPU go bad alot faster?

Here's my specs to my pc so if it's %85 nessary i can do it.

AMD 64 3700+ San Deigo STOCK idle temp 27-32

eVGA 133-K8-NF41 nForce 4

500 Antec Smart Power 2.0 PSU

Corsair VS1GBKIT400 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select Memory

eVGA e-Geforce 7800 GT Idle temp 42 full load has gotten up to 63

Liteon SOHW-1693S don't know if this maters

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer Idle temp 31 Full load 40-45

Antec PERFORMANCE TX TX1050B

Two 80mm case fans one on GFX card and one in front on HD

Rear 120mm exhaust fan

anything else just ask me. i'll know it

endyen

Splendid
1 You have a great, fast chip. You may want to OC latter, but you dont really need to.
2 OCing makes your cpu run like a faster model. 3700s can run faster than a stock 4000+ without too much problem.
3 Yes, it will improve framerates. In some games more than others.
4 An OC to 20% should not adversely affect your chip. It is a good idea to keep voltages as close to stock as possible, and not allow the temps to go over about 50c.
5 I know, you only asked 4, but the one thing I would suggest is that you check out the OCing forum.

endyen

Splendid
It's probably good you posted here. In the OC forum they would have told you to go for it straight away.
There's no rush. When you are a little more used to the setup, you can give it a try. For now, just relax, and read up on it.
It's not that you would screw up the chip, but more likely you would scare yourself away.
Ocing is a way to get the most for your money. If you are happy with your performance now, you dont need that extra, so save it for later.