Having trouble finding decent AGP board for less than $200

thewalrusking

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2003
I havent really kept up on the agp board standings lately, i already have a good board, but when asked to buy one for a friend i was shocked. On newegg, where i usually shop, the best board for agp seems to be a 6600gt, from numerous mfgs. But I feel this is a slightly weak card, but I dont know. The kid is going to mainly be playing WOW and since I have little knowledge of the game I dont know how strong of a card he'd need. ( i know its plenty strong to play it but I want something that will last a few years!) i currently opwn a 6800gt but I know the 6600gt is a step down and a good deal slower, he limited the price to 200 bucks but even if I push it to 225 i cant seem to find AGP 6800's or a comparable ati board. (though another problem is I have know idea what matches it on the ati side, x800 seem to go from 100-300 so Im lost there too.) so my only question is, is a 6600gt board decent enough to last a few years (esp with WOW.)????? Thanks

p.s. it seems odd that AGP boards other than budget boards seem to have stopped selling, even using pricewatch they are alot scacer than pci-e