restore SID

Hi All i need some help !

I have a PDC server ( Windows NT 4 Terminal Server ), this sserver also runs
as a Microsoft Exchange 5.5 ( SP 4 ) server also.

There is no working BDC on the network.

Due to a total server failure I have to reinstall this server. I have
backups and i understand that i must rebuild the C drive as FAT32 first and
then restore the SID and associated \system32\config files from DOS level.

The question is, I look on my backup tapes and i see the following 12 files
:

appevent.evt *
default
default.sav *
sam
secevent.evt *
security
software
software.sav *
sysevent.evt *
system
system.sav *
userdiff *

If i tick to restore all those files ( to a diff drive ) it will only
restore the ones ive put a * by, even though they are on the backup. Having
spoken to a few people appartatly there is a way to get them to restore, i
have had a quick search on Microsoft but cant see the document, maybe
someone has it saved ? or knows the way i can get these files off tape and
on to a hard disk so i can copy them back at DOS level ?

Thanks
Duncan

"Duncan Newell" <duncan@NOSPAMsystemtek.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All i need some help !
>
> I have a PDC server ( Windows NT 4 Terminal Server ), this sserver also
runs
> as a Microsoft Exchange 5.5 ( SP 4 ) server also.
>
> There is no working BDC on the network.
>
> Due to a total server failure I have to reinstall this server. I have
> backups and i understand that i must rebuild the C drive as FAT32 first
and
> then restore the SID and associated \system32\config files from DOS level.
>
> The question is, I look on my backup tapes and i see the following 12
files
> :
>
> appevent.evt *
> default
> default.sav *
> sam
> secevent.evt *
> security
> software
> software.sav *
> sysevent.evt *
> system
> system.sav *
> userdiff *
>
> If i tick to restore all those files ( to a diff drive ) it will only
> restore the ones ive put a * by, even though they are on the backup.
Having
> spoken to a few people appartatly there is a way to get them to restore, i
> have had a quick search on Microsoft but cant see the document, maybe
> someone has it saved ? or knows the way i can get these files off tape and
> on to a hard disk so i can copy them back at DOS level ?
>
> Thanks
> Duncan

I managed to resolve this problem here is how.

Basically as stated I have 1 PDC on the network which unfortunately needed
to be reinstalled, I had a full backup from the server, using normal
ntbackup. You can not restore various files in the system32\config folder
as they link into the registry, even though they show as files you cant
restore them.

1 ) I reinstalled the server it was Windows NT 4 Terminal server ( but this
will work with normal NT server ) setting it up as a PDC. As before NT 4
Terminal server, Service Pack 6 and network card driver. Put the network
card details in so it was back on the network.

2 ) As a precaution i made a backup to tape and made a ERD ( with rdisk -s )

3 ) I catalogued the tape and selected to restore the \system32\config
directory and the registry ( the backup also restored the profiles folder at
this point, even though i didn't select it, i guess that's cause its
registry based etc ) the backup said restored ok. DO NOT REBOOT THE SERVER
YET !

4 ) I then deleted the ntuser.dat file from the restored administrator
profile ( as it contains settings that might cause it to not log in once
rebooted - if you delete this file it recreates it anyway when you log back
on )

5 ) I rebooted the server and logged back in and woooooo went into user
manager and all the accounts were back with all relevant information.

6 ) Put the server back on the network and tried a few user accounts on
client PC's and they all logged in ok fine no problems at all ( the client
PC's running Windows 2000 ).

Yet to restore the exchange 5.5 database but the above worked for me getting
the SAM back on line....

Duncan