I got a couple of gifts and don't know what to do with them!

joe_967

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Ok, my first post, here goes...

As a christmas present, I received a Sagitta Raidmax case, and from someone else an Asus A8n-Sli mobo, not deluxe or anything.

Now, here are a few questions I have. I read in the manual that its sometimes hard to throw 4 memory chips into a mobo and have it work properly, I'm wondering what is a good brand of ram for games, that I can use 4 x 512mb chips.

I'm going to be purchasing a 7800 GTX, single for now, not sure which brand to get, MSI, XFX, Asus, or BFG?

And I am also deciding on whether to get an Athlon 3700+, or an opteron with the equivalent mhz speed, I think that's the 148!

Thanks to all in advance for the advice!

4x512MB on an A64 system means that you will have to run your memory at 2T Command Rate. That is a noticable performance hit. Read this TechReport Latency Review. If you want 2GB then go with a 2x1GB setup for best performance.

GPU: I'd go for the least expensive of those OR look at an X1800XT. Unless you're doing some serious OCing, you'll be good with the 3700+. Zipzoomfly has it for $211 right now.

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

Get an EVGA 7800 GT CO. It is clocked at the highest speed of 470 core and 1100 mem, which is faster than most GT and some GTX cards, plus EVGA has lifetime warranty, card trade-up credit, and even a chance to win back a refund on your card.

I have the regular A8N-SLI, pretty good. Though you won't get the extra LAN by marvell and SATA raid by a 3rd party. Now I also read if you use 4x ram on an A8N it will run at 333 instead of 400 mhz. Besides, fewer ram is easier on your mobo to access and is faster/ cheaper too.