Can't get past TCP/IP on NT 4 Installation

I'm installing NT 4 on a Dell 667mhz 128mg 6.4g. When it gets to the
part about installing the TCP/IP Protocol it gets to about 15% and
stops with little hard disk access. I'm installing from the CD-Rom.

Anyone know whats causing this, I'm thinking maybe this computer isn't
NT Compatible.

Thanks,
Chris
3 answers Last reply
More about past installation
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Chris wrote:

    > I'm installing NT 4 on a Dell 667mhz 128mg 6.4g. When it gets to the
    > part about installing the TCP/IP Protocol it gets to about 15% and
    > stops with little hard disk access. I'm installing from the CD-Rom.
    >
    > Anyone know whats causing this, I'm thinking maybe this computer isn't
    > NT Compatible.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris

    As Calvin asked, installing what? Or setting up what? During
    the initial setup, it is OK to install the protocols that might
    be used while networking but venturing into actually configuring
    the protocols, e.g., adding IP addresses, gateways, etc., may
    present issues that could hang up the installation, especially
    when permissions, authorizations, etc., from domains are involved.
    Better to get NT up and running, updated before venturing here.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Hi Chris,

    I presume when you say 'installing TCP/IP protocol', you have opted to install
    networking during the initial NT4 install ?

    My suggestion would be to start the install again clean, when it comes to the
    bit about installing a network, say 'do not install networking'. The network
    card can be added easily after the base install is complete. Adding networking
    during base install is known to cause problems on some hardware.

    A word of warning - do your network card install before you do the Service Pack
    install - there are known issues with network installation post SP causing
    problems because of incompatible files being added from the original install CD
    that don't work and play well with changes made by the SP. Symptoms include some
    really silly error messages and/or STOP (Blue Screen) errors.

    Calvin.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Calvin,

    Thanks for your response. I ended up installing MS Loopback and it
    installed TCP/IP without any problems. Then added my adapter driver
    after installation and removed the MS Loopback and no error messages
    so I'm assuming it'll work.

    Chris

TCP/IP Windows