Win2000 Vs Win98

mkn100

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2001
Hi everyone,

I am currently use Win98SE on my system and I am OK with it. My question is: my friend uses Win2000 on his machine and he says that it's more stable and better than Win98SE.

Questions:
What's the difference between the two OS? What's the advantage/disadvantage for home user?
Which one is really better?

What I do with my computer? I play games, programming, internet, write documents.

Thanks!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'd say Win98SE is better for your uses.
Win2K is in fact more stable. It's built on the NT engine while 98SE is built on the Win9x engine. For maximum compability with games and components, as well as ease of use, Win98SE is probably better.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Probably from your perspective, just getting the os to work with anything you just bought will be a hassle. There's at least 2x the amount of 'Yes, I really want to do this' windows that pop up. Settings are in different places for hardware and networking. Indexing will slow down your hard disk unless you turn it the heck off.

It's quite a bit different from Nes98, so you'll need to budget in some time to learn where all the settings are. It doesn't 'look' all that different, but then, NT 4.0 didn't look all that different from Nes95 either.

mrtj

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
where is the option for indexing? i have a copy of 2k on the way and i'd like to know this stuff, plus anything you can think of to help speed it up.

ta,

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
There's all kinds of memory gain/performance gain tweaks to win2k. Services is a good place to start, along with Local Security Policy.

Anyway, I turn off indexing in the services page. Ipsec, Server, Scheduler, and a whole slew of others. Under Security Policy, I also make it a point to turn off 'Access this computer from the Network'. It's probably not a big deal unless you've shared some folders, but since you can't check out the source code to find out if 'Netscape sucks three holes, sideways' is a backdoor password, I turn off network access.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
This one is a bit of a inside joke. Someone had, for a while, the signature: Why do I use Linux? Cause it's the best OS. Why do I use Windows 98? Cause it's the best Nintendo.

So now, at least for me, Win98 = Nes98
(or NesME if you've upgraded. Same kernel, different wallpaper.)