Water Cooling Fiasco

direrage

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
I have been using the BigWater cooling kit for about a year now.
Everything has been pretty smooth and no problems.
However while playing BF2 my computer reboots. Odd enough, but I get no signal to the lcd after reboot. I pop open the case to find the water block has sprung a leak directly on the video card.

The cooling liquid seems to have penetrated the pci-e slot.

So the $250 question is - is the motherboard pci-e slot fried or the video card?

The motherboard boots and I can hear it get to windows.
I have cleaned the video card and slot with alcohol and q-tips and no improvement.

Thanks for the help

Ditto!!!!!!!!!

Had the same problem, go to the auto parts store and buy a can of CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner insert the focusing spray tube in the nozzle, remove the M/B and take it outside the house this is some powerful stuff, it will clean out the PCI-E slot like brand new, and not hurt the M/B, but don't accidently spray yourself with it, or breathe the fumes from it, it drys really fast.

Inspect the slot with a magnifying glass if you have to, to make sure you've gotten all the corrosion out, it won't come back CRC will completely remove it, make sure you spray any other places the coolant hit the M/B or video card, the coolant is very corosive to the copper and PCB substrate.

Also clean your video card contact fingers with it, it will remove all the corosion left behind from the leak, make sure you get the larger can, and again be careful with it, and don't smoke while using it, or it may be your last cigarette.

Make sure you get the CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner brand, accept no substitutes I used it myself and it worked perfectly, and after the cleaning my system worked perfectly, luckily I didn't hurt anything with the coolant leak, I hope the same for you!

CRC is some amazing stuff its also great for cleaning old thermal compound from CPU and GPU dies