Another engine failure story

After the much discussed incident involving a BA 747 continuing to fly onto
LHR from LAX when 1 engine failed on take off here's one involving a Qantas
717. "Stricken","plunged" and "blew up" all good technical terms! More on
aus.aviation ng.
Ian, Seaford, UK

Airline backs captain of stricken 717
By NICK CLARK
22mar05
BUDGET airline Jetstar yesterday defended a captain's decision to fly a
stricken plane to Melbourne rather than bring it back to Launceston on
Friday night. The flight from Launceston to Melbourne with 102
passengers on board plunged 1200m after an engine on the Boeing 717
blew up.

Jetstar issued a distress call as a result of the explosion in the
engine. The plane flew on one engine and landed without incident in
Melbourne.

http://www.themercury.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12620497%255E3462,00.html

The article goes on to imply that the Tasmanians regarded it as a
slight that the 717 wasn't turned back to Launceston
1 answer Last reply
More about another engine failure story

    I heard they were around the midway point, and that doing a 180 turn to fly
    back to the uncontrolled airport it landed at which has no maintenence
    services for the 717 or any jet for that matter, would possibly have taken
    longer than continuing onto the second biggest airport in Australia with
    it's full controll service, jet maintenence facilitys, and 24 hour emergency
    services. Far from having just taken off from it's departure and still at
    V2+20 flaps and gear out, it was actually already at it's cruise altitude.

    "Ian" <ian.baines@NOSPAMuk.com> wrote in message
    > After the much discussed incident involving a BA 747 continuing to fly
    > onto LHR from LAX when 1 engine failed on take off here's one involving a
    > Qantas 717. "Stricken","plunged" and "blew up" all good technical terms!
    > More on aus.aviation ng.
    > Ian, Seaford, UK
    >
    > Airline backs captain of stricken 717
    > By NICK CLARK
    > 22mar05
    > BUDGET airline Jetstar yesterday defended a captain's decision to fly a
    > stricken plane to Melbourne rather than bring it back to Launceston on
    > Friday night. The flight from Launceston to Melbourne with 102
    > passengers on board plunged 1200m after an engine on the Boeing 717
    > blew up.
    >
    > Jetstar issued a distress call as a result of the explosion in the
    > engine. The plane flew on one engine and landed without incident in
    > Melbourne.
    >
    > http://www.themercury.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12620497%255E3462,00.html
    >
    > The article goes on to imply that the Tasmanians regarded it as a
    > slight that the 717 wasn't turned back to Launceston

Engine Games Microsoft Video Games