Windows 8 $14.99 Upgrade Registration Now Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

npyrhone

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
No matter how many times I read the title, I can't seem to read it correctly. To me it just keeps telling: "Windows 8 $14.99 Downgrade Registration Now Open".

just an FYI, but the RTM build of win8 (both 32 and 64bit) take ~7-800MB of Ram just at idle. I installed the 32bit version on my netbook that had 1GB of ram and it ran disappointingly slow. Upgraded to 2GB of ram and it acted like a whole different machine (very pleased). Lastly I switched over to the 64bit version with 2GB of ram and it ran just a little faster still.

makes one wonder why there is even a 32bit version as most 32bit only systems do not have 2GB of ram, while newer 64bit capable systems with a mere 2GB of ram run faster to begin with.

apple_good_guys

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
This is a great deal! I cannot wait! The UI in Windows 7 is old and dated, especially when compared to Mac OS X. I'm loving the new UI in Windows 8! It's very streamlined and more smartphone like.

When I do have to switch to Windows here and there, it will be nice to have something more Apple-like to work with. And at 15 bucks? Sign me up!

Microsoft is really driving innovation lately. Good for them!

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
No matter how hard MS tries to promote Win8, will fail. After installing Win 8 RTM for a month now, i booted to the OS only 3 times. The third time is to try install the AMD Catalyst 12.8 driver. Its simply an awful OS that I ever used till date. Even a person who is new to Linux OS's is much much easier for him to navigate and learn the OS.

auth100488

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
people that do like that OS have absolutely NO IDEA of what problem it WILL cause to IT tech. You would pay me a thousand dollars and i would not even install it on my computer, the only thing more awful than a mac is Win 8.

apple_good_guys

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
[citation][nom]auth100488[/nom]people that do like that OS have absolutely NO IDEA of what problem it WILL cause to IT tech. You would pay me a thousand dollars and i would not even install it on my computer, the only thing more awful than a mac is Win 8.[/citation]

Yes, I imagine the people who invested in Windows certifications will now have to learn a new OS or get new certifications at the risk of looking dumb.

Besides, most organizations are still on XP and 7 is the transition plan, not 8. I think 8 is great for a consumer OS. It looks a lot like Mac OS, which is a good thing. I don't expect it will show up in the workplace except for small businesses.

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
[citation][nom]auth100488[/nom]people that do like that OS have absolutely NO IDEA of what problem it WILL cause to IT tech. You would pay me a thousand dollars and i would not even install it on my computer, the only thing more awful than a mac is Win 8.[/citation]

You have no idea what you are talking about

IT Tech

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Well I'll download it as I'm still using 32bit XP and it is the only reasonably priced upgrade route. I'll still have to keep the XP on another partition for hardware and software that I can't afford to change. Glad to have my old MacBook though as OS X is a nice place to be.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
MS should pay ME $14.99 to make me use Win8 over Win7...

actually....it should be $1499...

Win7 is wonderfully written OS since Win2K...great customization, runs fast, driver support from ALL hardware vendors...

Win8's tile UI is mostly useless on keyboard/mouse setup, which I suspect 99% of people still use keyboard/mouse setup, and not to mention the logo looks like it's taken from replacement vinyl window catalog...

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
After reading all the rediculous rage, from what seems like everyone, I decided to try W8 out.

The start screen is definitely weird but the whole app concept is interesting. I love how smooth it all is with the hardware acceleration.

I still think its silly not to have a start menu since the desktop/metro interfaces are so different from each other. It seems dumb to have to go into metro to launch a desktop program.

Solution:
Install classic shell like I run on W7, boots straight to the desktop if I want. Now I've got the best of both worlds.

/off topic

[citation][nom]womble[/nom]Well I'll download it as I'm still using 32bit XP and it is the only reasonably priced upgrade route. I'll still have to keep the XP on another partition for hardware and software that I can't afford to change. Glad to have my old MacBook though as OS X is a nice place to be.[/citation]
Just so you know... almost all hardware and software works fine under win7 and win8 (either through built-in support or compatibility mode). As a general rule of thumb (other than the Ram requirement), win8 will run faster than XP on most hardware (though I did find an old 2nd gen Pentium4 that it refused to run on, so if your system is too old then it will throw a fit).

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]just an FYI, but the RTM build of win8 (both 32 and 64bit) take ~7-800MB of Ram just at idle. I installed the 32bit version on my netbook that had 1GB of ram and it ran disappointingly slow. Upgraded to 2GB of ram and it acted like a whole different machine (very pleased). Lastly I switched over to the 64bit version with 2GB of ram and it ran just a little faster still.makes one wonder why there is even a 32bit version as most 32bit only systems do not have 2GB of ram, while newer 64bit capable systems with a mere 2GB of ram run faster to begin with.[/citation]

Sounds like much ram for just the OS, sure it wasn't with any integrated gfx who took portions of it or heavy disk caching included in those figures or the like?

super d spamalot

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]MS should pay ME $14.99 to make me use Win8 over Win7...actually....it should be $1499...Win7 is wonderfully written OS since Win2K...great customization, runs fast, driver support from ALL hardware vendors...Win8's tile UI is mostly useless on keyboard/mouse setup, which I suspect 99% of people still use keyboard/mouse setup, and not to mention the logo looks like it's taken from replacement vinyl window catalog...[/citation]

I love how your analysis of Windows 7 is all about how well it runs, and then your analysis of Windows is only about the UI. This of course means that you haven't even bothered to try it out before negatively commenting about it.

If you had bothered to try it out, you would have noticed that it's faster then Windows 7, just as customizable, and once it's actually released will have exactly the same driver support (You know, just like every single new version of windows since... Ever)

Here is the secret to using Windows 8 with the mouse and keyboard: Keyboard shortcuts and the scroll wheel on your mouse... Oh wait, that's the same as the secret to using Windows 7 with the mouse and keyboard as well.... That's weird, isn't it.

I dislike Windows 8 as much as the next guy, but I find myself wondering:

* You can install this on any computer running XP, Vista, or 7; can I partition my hard drive, install my copy of Windows 7 OEM to that partition, upgrade that install to 8, and then dual boot between the two?

* Could you do the same thing with a copy of Windows 7 Retail? If you transfer your retail license from one machine to another, can you transfer the Windows 8 install along with it?

* Can you install 8 using one 7 key at one point and then use another 7 key later? It looks like, even though you have to enter the product key of your new device to get the upgrade, the upgrade is not tied to that particular key...I'm wondering if installing it ties it irrevocably to a key, or whether it is an OEM install that gets tied to a motherboard, or whether you can transfer it around from one computer to another with different 7 keys, or what?

Why do I care? 'Cause even though I have a serious beef with Windows 8, and would never use it as a primary OS, I sure wouldn't mind making money off of people who do... :-\

super d spamalot

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]I dislike Windows 8 as much as the next guy, but I find myself wondering:* You can install this on any computer running XP, Vista, or 7; can I partition my hard drive, install my copy of Windows 7 OEM to that partition, upgrade that install to 8, and then dual boot between the two?* Could you do the same thing with a copy of Windows 7 Retail? If you transfer your retail license from one machine to another, can you transfer the Windows 8 install along with it?* Can you install 8 using one 7 key at one point and then use another 7 key later? It looks like, even though you have to enter the product key of your new device to get the upgrade, the upgrade is not tied to that particular key...I'm wondering if installing it ties it irrevocably to a key, or whether it is an OEM install that gets tied to a motherboard, or whether you can transfer it around from one computer to another with different 7 keys, or what?Why do I care? 'Cause even though I have a serious beef with Windows 8, and would never use it as a primary OS, I sure wouldn't mind making money off of people who do... :-\[/citation]

Based on what I've read about the upgrade process, it seems like it would require the copy you're upgrading from to be properly activated. So you'd only be able to do it two, maybe three times before your old copy stops validating.

In general, I'm pretty sure Microsoft is smarter then you when it comes to software licensing. ;)

G

with Win8 MS pushed me switch to Ubuntu. I dont want to see any more MS crap on my PC. NT4/2000/XP were good at least, but these after are soo failed.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Idk, if it runs faster than Win7, and has good driver support, as well as if it can have a classic shell plug in like Wolygon said I may get it, just since it's so low priced.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]just an FYI, but the RTM build of win8 (both 32 and 64bit) take ~7-800MB of Ram just at idle. I installed the 32bit version on my netbook that had 1GB of ram and it ran disappointingly slow. Upgraded to 2GB of ram and it acted like a whole different machine (very pleased). Lastly I switched over to the 64bit version with 2GB of ram and it ran just a little faster still.makes one wonder why there is even a 32bit version as most 32bit only systems do not have 2GB of ram, while newer 64bit capable systems with a mere 2GB of ram run faster to begin with.[/citation]

That is retarded.

[citation][nom]super d spamalot[/nom]Based on what I've read about the upgrade process, it seems like it would require the copy you're upgrading from to be properly activated. So you'd only be able to do it two, maybe three times before your old copy stops validating.In general, I'm pretty sure Microsoft is smarter then you when it comes to software licensing.[/citation]
Well, here's my situation. I just bought a laptop (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OEM), so I'm due a $15 upgrade. My desktop computer also has Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OEM, but I also purchased three copies of Windows 7 Ultimate Retail for future builds. The scenario I'm curious about is one where I can dual-boot my desktop into 7 or 8...but I'd also like to be able to transfer that Windows 8 install to another computer if I build a better desktop.

* Is this [strike]free[/strike] $15 copy of Windows 8 an OEM install; i.e. is it tied permanently to the computer you install it to?

* Is it tied permanently to the serial number of the copy of Windows 7 you install it over, or can you install it on another computer as long as you're not using it on both at the same time?

* Could you install 7, install 7 again on the same machine on a different hard drive with the same serial number, install Windows 8 over that second install, and dual-boot between the two?

* And finally, if you can do that with a Retail version of Windows, could you transfer both Windows 7 and 8 licenses to another computer (as you can do with a Retail version of Windows)?

Status
Not open for further replies.