Linux wiped out my Windows

I just installed Linux (Fedora Core 2) on a system that had Windows NT
already
installed on it. I told it to not touch existing partitions and to allow
booting either OS. Now when I boot and select Windows, it
starts loading and then panics. I get the following messages:
Please select the operating system to start
Windows NT Workstation 4.0
Windows NT Workstation 4.0 [VGA mode]
NTDETECT 4.0 checking hardware...
OS Loader 4.01
Press spacebar NOW to invoke hardware profile/last known good menu
Microsoft Windows NT (TM) ...etc...
1 System Processor [128M Memory]

and then the blue screen of death with a stop code
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. How can I restore Windows (without reinstalling
it from scratch which will probably wipe out Linux)? BTW, if I "Press
spacebar NOW..." the only option is "Original configuration" which ends up
at the same bluescreen.
Roy
10 answers Last reply
More about linux wiped windows
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Check that the arc path in boot.ini points to the correct partition.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Roy Starkey" wrote:
    |I just installed Linux (Fedora Core 2) on a system that had Windows NT
    | already
    | installed on it. I told it to not touch existing partitions and to allow
    | booting either OS. Now when I boot and select Windows, it
    | starts loading and then panics. I get the following messages:
    | Please select the operating system to start
    | Windows NT Workstation 4.0
    | Windows NT Workstation 4.0 [VGA mode]
    | NTDETECT 4.0 checking hardware...
    | OS Loader 4.01
    | Press spacebar NOW to invoke hardware profile/last known good menu
    | Microsoft Windows NT (TM) ...etc...
    | 1 System Processor [128M Memory]
    |
    | and then the blue screen of death with a stop code
    | INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. How can I restore Windows (without reinstalling
    | it from scratch which will probably wipe out Linux)? BTW, if I "Press
    | spacebar NOW..." the only option is "Original configuration" which ends up
    | at the same bluescreen.
    | Roy

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    I'm not sure what you mean by the "arc path" but it looks ok to me. NT is
    located in the first partition of the first disk and boot.ini contains:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=5
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
    4.00"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
    4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > Check that the arc path in boot.ini points to the correct partition.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Roy Starkey" wrote:
    > |I just installed Linux (Fedora Core 2) on a system that had Windows NT
    > | already
    > | installed on it. I told it to not touch existing partitions and to
    allow
    > | booting either OS. Now when I boot and select Windows, it
    > | starts loading and then panics. I get the following messages:
    > | Please select the operating system to start
    > | Windows NT Workstation 4.0
    > | Windows NT Workstation 4.0 [VGA mode]
    > | NTDETECT 4.0 checking hardware...
    > | OS Loader 4.01
    > | Press spacebar NOW to invoke hardware profile/last known good menu
    > | Microsoft Windows NT (TM) ...etc...
    > | 1 System Processor [128M Memory]
    > |
    > | and then the blue screen of death with a stop code
    > | INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. How can I restore Windows (without
    reinstalling
    > | it from scratch which will probably wipe out Linux)? BTW, if I "Press
    > | spacebar NOW..." the only option is "Original configuration" which ends
    up
    > | at the same bluescreen.
    > | Roy

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Yes that should be correct. You might try just in case. Also try a boot
    disk.

    For the floppy to successfully boot Windows NT the disk must contain the
    "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on an NT machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so
    the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy ntldr,
    ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it; and possibly ntbootdd.sys. Edit the
    boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=5
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT1"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT2"

    --

    "Roy Starkey" wrote:
    | I'm not sure what you mean by the "arc path" but it looks ok to me. NT is
    | located in the first partition of the first disk and boot.ini contains:
    |
    | [boot loader]
    | timeout=5
    | default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    | [operating systems]
    | multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
    | 4.00"
    | multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
    | 4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Thanks Dave. I don't have another machine running NT to format the diskette
    on. Can I format a diskette with an NT boot sector from a Windows 2000
    system? Also, I don't see a ntbootdd.sys.

    FWIW, Linux boots just fine (from the next partition over) and the NT
    partition looks ok from Linux since I can mount it and see all the files.
    Roy

    > Yes that should be correct. You might try just in case. Also try a boot
    > disk.
    >
    > For the floppy to successfully boot Windows NT the disk must contain the
    > "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on an NT machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so
    > the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy ntldr,
    > ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it; and possibly ntbootdd.sys. Edit the
    > boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot.
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=5
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT1"
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT2"
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Roy Starkey" wrote:
    > | I'm not sure what you mean by the "arc path" but it looks ok to me. NT
    is
    > | located in the first partition of the first disk and boot.ini contains:
    > |
    > | [boot loader]
    > | timeout=5
    > | default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > | [operating systems]
    > | multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation
    Version
    > | 4.00"
    > | multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation
    Version
    > | 4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Yes the windows 2000 boot sector will also work. You don't need ntbootdd.sys
    uless you use a third party controller driver and it has it's bios disabled.

    --

    "Roy Starkey" wrote:
    | Thanks Dave. I don't have another machine running NT to format the
    diskette
    | on. Can I format a diskette with an NT boot sector from a Windows 2000
    | system? Also, I don't see a ntbootdd.sys.
    |
    | FWIW, Linux boots just fine (from the next partition over) and the NT
    | partition looks ok from Linux since I can mount it and see all the files.
    | Roy
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Yes the windows 2000 boot sector will also work. You don't need ntbootdd.sys
    unless you use a third party controller driver and it has it's bios
    disabled.

    --

    "Roy Starkey" wrote:
    | Thanks Dave. I don't have another machine running NT to format the
    diskette
    | on. Can I format a diskette with an NT boot sector from a Windows 2000
    | system? Also, I don't see a ntbootdd.sys.
    |
    | FWIW, Linux boots just fine (from the next partition over) and the NT
    | partition looks ok from Linux since I can mount it and see all the files.
    | Roy
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Hmm. what module is source of IBD error message, NTLDR or NTKRNL?

    What is servicepack level of your NT OS installation?

    Are you calling NT OS loader from LILO or LILO from NT loader? It is
    recommended to place LILO out of MBR and to call it from NTLDR.

    "Roy Starkey" <rstarkey@austin.rr.com> pí¹e v diskusním pøíspìvku
    > I just installed Linux (Fedora Core 2) on a system that had Windows NT
    > already
    > installed on it. I told it to not touch existing partitions and to allow
    > booting either OS. Now when I boot and select Windows, it
    > starts loading and then panics. I get the following messages:
    > Please select the operating system to start
    > Windows NT Workstation 4.0
    > Windows NT Workstation 4.0 [VGA mode]
    > NTDETECT 4.0 checking hardware...
    > OS Loader 4.01
    > Press spacebar NOW to invoke hardware profile/last known good menu
    > Microsoft Windows NT (TM) ...etc...
    > 1 System Processor [128M Memory]
    >
    > and then the blue screen of death with a stop code
    > INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. How can I restore Windows (without reinstalling
    > it from scratch which will probably wipe out Linux)? BTW, if I "Press
    > spacebar NOW..." the only option is "Original configuration" which ends up
    > at the same bluescreen.
    > Roy

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    The dump screen is from ntoskrnl.exe.
    I don't recall which service pack was installed.
    I'm using grub instead of lilo. I believe grub calls the NT loader.
    Roy

    "Jiri Tuma" <jiri.tuma@nospam.seznam.cz> wrote in message
    > Hmm. what module is source of IBD error message, NTLDR or NTKRNL?
    >
    > What is servicepack level of your NT OS installation?
    >
    > Are you calling NT OS loader from LILO or LILO from NT loader? It is
    > recommended to place LILO out of MBR and to call it from NTLDR.
    >

    > "Roy Starkey" <rstarkey@austin.rr.com> pí¹e v diskusním pøíspìvku
    > > I just installed Linux (Fedora Core 2) on a system that had Windows NT
    > > already
    > > installed on it. I told it to not touch existing partitions and to
    allow
    > > booting either OS. Now when I boot and select Windows, it
    > > starts loading and then panics. I get the following messages:
    > > Please select the operating system to start
    > > Windows NT Workstation 4.0
    > > Windows NT Workstation 4.0 [VGA mode]
    > > NTDETECT 4.0 checking hardware...
    > > OS Loader 4.01
    > > Press spacebar NOW to invoke hardware profile/last known good menu
    > > Microsoft Windows NT (TM) ...etc...
    > > 1 System Processor [128M Memory]
    > >
    > > and then the blue screen of death with a stop code
    > > INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. How can I restore Windows (without
    reinstalling
    > > it from scratch which will probably wipe out Linux)? BTW, if I "Press
    > > spacebar NOW..." the only option is "Original configuration" which ends
    up
    > > at the same bluescreen.
    > > Roy

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    I created a boot diskette and it loads and then appears to start loading
    from the hard drive but halts in ntoskrnl (same as before).
    Roy

    > Yes the windows 2000 boot sector will also work. You don't need
    ntbootdd.sys
    > uless you use a third party controller driver and it has it's bios
    disabled.

    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Roy Starkey" wrote:
    > | Thanks Dave. I don't have another machine running NT to format the
    > diskette
    > | on. Can I format a diskette with an NT boot sector from a Windows 2000
    > | system? Also, I don't see a ntbootdd.sys.
    > |
    > | FWIW, Linux boots just fine (from the next partition over) and the NT
    > | partition looks ok from Linux since I can mount it and see all the
    files.
    > | Roy

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    It is not good situation, normal source of this message is NT loader. Chance
    you will get it from NT kernel is rare (like 2% or less). Meaning of this
    message is, that any of startup critical files is not accessible using
    current disk driver and current ARC() path. During boot-up, NT loader is
    looking for NT kernel (ntoskrnl.exe) using path given by ARC() part of OS
    record from boot.ini file. If this path is not valid (due changes in
    partition or disk subsystem schemes) or if this file is missing or other way
    inaccessible (for ex. out of range due moving these files over 1024 cylinder
    boundary while using multi() notation), NT loader will bring up IBD message.
    After loading of NT kernel file, NT loader will push control to this file
    and this file will start next phase - loading of system registry hive and
    is providing disk driver services). And it is just this point of loading
    proccess you can get IBD message from NT kernel. After this point you will
    get another kind of errors - something like "Critical file ... name .. is
    corrupted or missing".

    Note that validity of ARC() path depends on driver used - each driver can
    see controllers and disks in different order. You can use different disk
    drivers for NT loader and NT kernel (and you are always doing this if you
    are using multi() notation), but both drivers should use the same order of
    your disk devices. This problem can be one source of IBD message given from
    NT kernel, but I have no idea, how installation of Linux can change physical
    order of disk devices to be different from NT disk driver point of view, but
    not from NTLDR point of view. Are you sure you did not tweaked some BIOS
    settings of you machine while installing Linux? Suspicious settings are
    settings about PnP, Disk subsystem and Boot order. Also enabling of
    previously disabled integrated peripheral can have worst effect on existing
    NT OS instances (like USB controller often disabled if there is only NT OS
    on machine). Enabling of device will lead to rearrange of system resources
    and this can mess up existing instances of PnP unaware operating systems
    (like Windows NT).

    Another thing is that Windows NT are sometimes very sensitive to content of
    critical disk sectors. This is why it is not recommended to have LILO or
    other OS loader in MBR. I think you can do one additional test to get more
    info about your case. You need any disk editing or physical backup software.
    If you have none, download NT resource kit and use disksave.exe utility. Put
    it to floppy. You need also MS-DOS boot floppy, you can dowload good
    prepared image of MS-DOS 6.22 from www.bootdisk.com . Boot from this
    floppy, put floppy with disksave to drive and run disksave.exe. Backup both
    MBR and primary bootsector to files on floppy. Exchange floppies and put
    floppy with backup files to another machine and check files to be readable.
    than run "FDISK /MBR" command from MS-DOS boot floppy. This will replace
    content in MBR by standard IBM content. Run FDISK without parameter and
    check if partition with NT OS is set as Active (means bootable). If not, use
    FDISK`s Set Active partition option to repair this problem. Remove floppy
    and restart machine. Check if NT loader is the first and the only OS loader
    and if NT OS will start, check your primary disk driver and servicepack
    level.
    You can use backup files and disksave utility to restore content of MBR to
    previous state.

    I have no experience with grub, so I cannot give you more advices. Try to
    consult any Linux board.

    > The dump screen is from ntoskrnl.exe.
    > I don't recall which service pack was installed.
    > I'm using grub instead of lilo. I believe grub calls the NT loader.
    > Roy
    >
    > "Jiri Tuma" <jiri.tuma@nospam.seznam.cz> wrote in message
    > > Hmm. what module is source of IBD error message, NTLDR or NTKRNL?
    > >
    > > What is servicepack level of your NT OS installation?
    > >
    > > Are you calling NT OS loader from LILO or LILO from NT loader? It is
    > > recommended to place LILO out of MBR and to call it from NTLDR.
    > >

    > > "Roy Starkey" <rstarkey@austin.rr.com> pí¹e v diskusním pøíspìvku
    > > > I just installed Linux (Fedora Core 2) on a system that had Windows NT
    > > > already
    > > > installed on it. I told it to not touch existing partitions and to
    > allow
    > > > booting either OS. Now when I boot and select Windows, it
    > > > starts loading and then panics. I get the following messages:
    > > > Please select the operating system to start
    > > > Windows NT Workstation 4.0
    > > > Windows NT Workstation 4.0 [VGA mode]
    > > > NTDETECT 4.0 checking hardware...
    > > > OS Loader 4.01
    > > > Press spacebar NOW to invoke hardware profile/last known good
    menu
    > > > Microsoft Windows NT (TM) ...etc...
    > > > 1 System Processor [128M Memory]
    > > >
    > > > and then the blue screen of death with a stop code
    > > > INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. How can I restore Windows (without
    > reinstalling
    > > > it from scratch which will probably wipe out Linux)? BTW, if I "Press
    > > > spacebar NOW..." the only option is "Original configuration" which
    ends
    > up
    > > > at the same bluescreen.
    > > > Roy