Sign in with
Your question

Hesitation during gameplay - CPU, Memory, or Video Card?

Last response: in CPUs
December 30, 2005 12:46:44 PM

-P4 3.0 GHz HT
-Intel 915GEV Mobo
-BFG 7800 GT OC 256MB DDR3
-2x512 PC5400

While playing GUN or DOOM3, there is sometimes a hesitation during gameplay. It happens in DOOM when a hell-fiend is a bout to appear or in GUN when I enter a new part of town. I'm running both games at 1600x1200 and they are "beautiful." The frames rates are great, so I don't think it's the video card.

What should I do: increase Memory, turn down resolution, or get a new processor?

I've tried OCing the processor, but apparently doesn't allow this. I can adjust the Memory settings, but it won't let me change the FSB speed.

Thanks.
December 30, 2005 2:19:56 PM

That may possibly be your hard drive loading the models for the hell-fiend. I haven't played D3 single player yet (mostly multiplayer). As for GUN, that could also be the hard drive loading up a new part of the map.

All your other specs look pretty good to me.
December 30, 2005 2:34:59 PM

I agree, this is HD access, however it may be due to lack of ram. 1G is good, but with games that big it may cause the odd blipp here and there.
Related resources
December 30, 2005 2:41:59 PM

So what should I try first -> new HDD or more RAM? It'll probably end up costing about the same. I did try defragging yesterday, but it wouldn't do it because I only have 10% of 112GB left.
December 30, 2005 2:43:53 PM

Quote:
So what should I try first -> new HDD or more RAM? It'll probably end up costing about the same. I did try defragging yesterday, but it wouldn't do it because I only have 10% of 112GB left.

That would probably be the reason
December 30, 2005 2:47:11 PM

Before you spend money, try this. Free up some space and defrag completely. Worked for me when playing X3 on only 512 ram.

I also recomend getting diskkeeper, it's an 'upgrade' to the windows defrag program.
December 30, 2005 2:49:35 PM

You could always temporarily disable virtual memory, reboot into safe mode and do a defrag :) 
December 30, 2005 2:53:01 PM

Ok, I'll try tree to free up some space and then defrag. If that doesn't work, I'll consider other options.

Thanks for everyone's help.
!