iFixit Gives Galaxy Note 10.1 a Teardown, Rates Repairability

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]idroid[/nom]I doubt that a tablet with such quality manufacturing will need a repair.[/citation]

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

There is no such thing as an indestructible tablet. I'd rather pay for a $30 repair job than a full tablet replacement. Thank you.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I tend to shy away from laptops and tablets because I can't replace all the parts myself if something goes wrong. Imagine having to send it for repairs with all your data and having to wait for weeks (only to get something 'refurbished').

Also, the girl that does iFixit YouTube videos is stupidly hot.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The Titanic was deemed unsinkable... odd how it sunk on its maiden voyage.

Had the Titanic not sunk, it would have disappeared as just another ship that was broken up. She had two sister ships, one sunk (a mine, and she still should not have sunk - water to shallow, its easy to get to in only 400ft of water) - the other destroyed for scrap.

G

bit of a petty whine but it does get my back up, "phillips screws"? what are they? surely you mean cross head scews....just as "Phillips screwdrivers" are actually crosshead screwdrivers (Phillips also make flatheads too).....Phillips is a brand name not a type of screw or screwdriver

jonnyhuk2

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
[citation][nom]FairyLiquid7[/nom]bit of a petty whine but it does get my back up, "phillips screws"? what are they? surely you mean cross head scews....just as "Phillips screwdrivers" are actually crosshead screwdrivers (Phillips also make flatheads too).....Phillips is a brand name not a type of screw or screwdriver[/citation]

The "Phillips screw" is named after Henry F. Phillips who invented and patented the cross within the head type of the screw. No relation to the Phillips electronics company.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
FWIW: I googled the following:

phillips-head screwdriver: 1.4M results
cross-head screwdriver: 725k results

cross-head screw: 2.7M results
phillips-head screw: 868k results

Based on the internet usage, sounds like cross-head screw and phillips-head screw driver are the common terms. Seems like a confusing way to refer to two things that you'd use together :)

---
FWIW2
homedepot.com, lowes.com and acehardware.com have no cross-head screws or cross-head screwdrivers. They do have phillips-head screws and screwdrivers though...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]idroid[/nom]I doubt that a tablet with such quality manufacturing will need a repair.[/citation]

it can be of great quality built to last, but if i drop it or my dog knocks it off a table and shatters a screen i'd be happier to be abel to fix it than buy a whoel new one. it ws a pain but swappign the screen in my palm pre several years back was $40 vs paying $100 for a replacement through insurance or had i not had insurance $300 for the phone (it was several years ago i know i could now get the phoen for a few bucks)

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I'm not sure what the point is. Aside from getting their name out there. The very large majority of people who buy tablets have no interest in fixing them themselves. And even if you actually wanted to, you wouldn't be able to buy the parts. They aren't exactly off the shelf items.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
True on point one, but on point two, you can often find devices on eBay with a cracked screen but working otherwise, for a fraction of replacement or repair costs...

Status
Not open for further replies.