Sign in with
Your question

Help me out! what is best graphics card, etc for my system

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2005 1:34:08 PM

Hello I have the following system, but no very little about computers in general. I was wondering what the best graphics card I could get for around $400-500 would be looking to play mostly RPG's and FPS but want the best performance. Don;t know anything about over clocking as well;;

CPU: (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 X2 3800 CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
[+120]

(Sckt939)EVGA nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCI-E
Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio

2 GIG RAM

ATI X700 graphics card currently

Also can anyone explain the dual graphics card, why/how it is better?

Any input would be appreciated...

More about : graphics card system

December 30, 2005 2:09:05 PM

well for 400-500 you can get just about anything you want, i would go for a 7800GT best bang for the buck at the moment then spend some money on some high quality RAM, you dont say what RAM your getting so im guessing its value select.

i would go for some TwinX stuff from corsair and run it in duel channel at least 2GB.

and as for duel graphics do you mean SLI? or the duel core GFX that have recently been reviewed here at THG?

SLI will give performance increases only in games that support SLI(Surprise) one graphics card will render one part of the screen and the other GFX will render the other half therefore sharing the wokload between each and increasing performance.

EDIT

i forgot to say if your buying Nvidia and want to Overclock the look up "Coolbits" in google, im sure if you go for ATI someone with more knoledge on ATI can help you.
December 30, 2005 2:18:39 PM

Well for 4-500 you should be able to buy an ATI x1800xl that should out perfrom the 7800gtx in most games and is typically more stable as well.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2005 2:23:52 PM

To expand upon that, SLI is strictly an Nvidia concept that requires Nvidia graphic cards. If you want to use ATI based graphics, you would need a Crossfire capable motherboard to enable a dual card ATI solution. So your current ATI card will work as a single card in your SLI motherboard, but to use two cards, you would have to replace the X700 with 2 Nvidia based cards.
December 30, 2005 2:38:04 PM

Thanks for the input. The RAM is PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY [+120]
(Corsair Value Select)

So you would recommend upgrading all of it? or just a gig?

Will upgrading this to a diff brand make that much difference in performance? I assume the graphics will not be better just loading / performance? I can currently play FEAR and it looks/ plays great but COD2 looks crappy. Also would like to get the most out of my old FFXI online (RPG game).... but i don't even know if its compatible with the 7800GT.

As a side note should I even bother looking into the overclocking thing?
December 30, 2005 2:53:21 PM

ok ive just looked at some prices on newEgg,

ok looks like a 7800GT will cost around 300 - 360.

the RAM im on about is the TwinX XMS ram from Corsair basically your you get two memory modules in the one package so either 512MB x2 or 1GB x 2.
according to Corsair these modules are tested together to ensure that they work in Duel channel mode at low latencies, basically better RAM will speed up just about everything you do on your computer.
!