New NT 4.0 BDC

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

I'm tasked with building a new BDC for my company and
they want to replace an old BDC with new hardware. The
current BDC is an old Dell desktop and the new one is a
DL380G2. They want this server built offline so It does
not get infected with any viruses. How can I build a new
BDC with the latest service packs and security updates
offline during the install?

Look on any patched NT system at %systemroot%\Program Files\Windows
Update\Cabs. Download SP6a in full if you didn't do it yet.

This is sort of a catch 22. You cannot build a NT BDC without being
connected to the current PDC. This is not an option but a requirement. You
would at least need to be on the network and able to connect to the PDC
during install and after it has sucessfully been installed you could remove
it from the network and install the necessary patches etc. You should be
safe to get it installed on your local internal network so that once it is
up you can apply Sp6 and then any necessary Virus Scanners at the very least
and then you could update it through windows update or whatever way that you
update your servers.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Jetro" <ik9480@spam.rogers.com> wrote in message
> Look on any patched NT system at %systemroot%\Program Files\Windows
> Update\Cabs. Download SP6a in full if you didn't do it yet.

Scott,
I just omitted this point after short thought :eek:) Certainly "off-line"
should mean "disconnected from the Internet", otherwise the catch 22 must've
been explained to "them" by George immediately.

P.S. My trick was incomplete - Windows deletes Cabs content after successful
install, so you must interrupt the update after download. Microsoft deleted
NT4 from Windows Update catalog a long time ago, what a pity...

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it would work
offline. Someone suggested to take one of the current
BDC's offline and connected it to the new BDC with a
cross-over then promote the current BDC to a PDC then try
the new install of the BDC. Would this work?