installing win nt 4.0 workstation

Alan

When I try to install windows NT 4.0 workstation on a win
98se machine I get the following error- set-up unable to
install windows nt boot loader. Ensure C is properly
formatted and drive not damaged.

What is the solution?
Thank You
Alan

Is the drive formatted as FAT32? Windows NT4 cannot install on FAT32 and you
would have to Fdisk the drive(lose all data) and create a FAT partition or
create a partition during NT Setup.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Alan" <triangle@midamerica.net> wrote in message
> When I try to install windows NT 4.0 workstation on a win
> 98se machine I get the following error- set-up unable to
> install windows nt boot loader. Ensure C is properly
> formatted and drive not damaged.
>
> What is the solution?
> Thank You
> Alan

[This followup was posted to microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup and a copy
was sent to the cited author.]

In article <29f6601c465f5$262a3630$a501280a@phx.gbl>,
triangle@midamerica.net says...
> When I try to install windows NT 4.0 workstation on a win
> 98se machine I get the following error- set-up unable to
> install windows nt boot loader. Ensure C is properly
> formatted and drive not damaged.

Your Win98 C: partition is probably formatted for FAT32. NT does NOT
natively support FAT32. There are drivers for NT, but NT still *MUST* boot
from a FAT16 or NTFS partition because the driver is loaded during the
boot process.

On top of that, NT also needs to have it's \WINNT directory kept below
the 8G mark because NTLDR doesn't support the extended functions for large
drives. That typically means keeping any partition for below the 8G mark.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross