computer keeps restaring itself while attempting to boot

i have two hard drives both maxtors,and lately my pc would
lock up while certain programs run,so i tried system
restore and it temporarally solved the issue,but it locked
up again and now once it get to start up screen,running
windows normally,or if i try safe mode,last known config
that worked,whatever,it just keeps restarting itself over
and over, would someone please help,what can make it stop
restarting so i can at least get to safe mode?????
3 answers Last reply
More about computer restaring attempting boot

    Unfortunately that's a bit messy to deal with. :-/

    Odds are the system is faulting and dropping into an automatic restart,
    followed by a fault that triggers another restart, etc. The problem is that
    unless you can see the fault message it's virtually impossible to determine
    if you're having a hardware or driver/service problem.

    You can try this
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545&Product=winxp
    to see if you can get to a functioning restore point.

    You can also attempt to isolate the problem in place via recovery console.
    That's dicey, even for some one that is technically competent. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=244905 for an explanation of
    how to disable startup items/services via recovery console. About midway
    down this article
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316434&Product=winxp
    is a list of most of the services that the OS uses in a default
    configuration. Anything *not* on the list should be safe to disable for
    diagnostic purposes. RPC is the *only* service that must be left on. All the
    over services may, temporarily, be disabled but avoid disabling anything
    that is shown by default as automatically started. Although it's possible to
    get by with disabling some of those, disabling them blindly can cause worse
    problems than you currently have.

    Alternatively, you can try a repair reinstall. The disadvantage is that if
    certain parts of the registry are damaged, especially related to the system
    hive, a repair reinstall might not work. You can also try a parallel install
    so that you can trouble shoot the damaged OS using something other than
    recovery console, but unless you have a separate drive/partition, a parallel
    install will stomp on part of the existing OS instance.

    --
    Walter Clayton - MS MVP(WinXP)
    Associate Expert

    "Ron F" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have two hard drives both maxtors,and lately my pc would
    > lock up while certain programs run,so i tried system
    > restore and it temporarally solved the issue,but it locked
    > up again and now once it get to start up screen,running
    > windows normally,or if i try safe mode,last known config
    > that worked,whatever,it just keeps restarting itself over
    > and over, would someone please help,what can make it stop
    > restarting so i can at least get to safe mode?????

    since my 2nd hard drive is basically for storage with no
    os installed,what problems would occur if i installed
    windows on that harddrive,and used my main one as slave?

    insufficiently advanced.
    >http://www.dts-l.org
    >http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/fileversion/defa
    ult.asp|

    >"Ron F" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >>i have two hard drives both maxtors,and lately my pc
    would
    >> lock up while certain programs run,so i tried system
    >> restore and it temporarally solved the issue,but it
    locked
    >> up again and now once it get to start up screen,running
    >> windows normally,or if i try safe mode,last known config
    >> that worked,whatever,it just keeps restarting itself
    over
    >> and over, would someone please help,what can make it
    stop
    >> restarting so i can at least get to safe mode?????
    >
    >.

    That's a reasonable option. Going that route you can prove/disprove a
    hardware issue and if the hardware isn't an issue you can manipulate the
    failing OS image a bit easier. Give it a try and then see if you can get
    into SR on the failing OS by following the instructions on the first link I
    posted.

    --

    > since my 2nd hard drive is basically for storage with no
    > os installed,what problems would occur if i installed
    > windows on that harddrive,and used my main one as slave?

Safe Mode Computers Windows XP