computer keeps restaring itself while attempting to boot

i have two hard drives both maxtors,and lately my pc would
lock up while certain programs run,so i tried system
restore and it temporarally solved the issue,but it locked
up again and now once it get to start up screen,running
windows normally,or if i try safe mode,last known config
that worked,whatever,it just keeps restarting itself over
and over, would someone please help,what can make it stop
restarting so i can at least get to safe mode?????

Unfortunately that's a bit messy to deal with. :-/

Odds are the system is faulting and dropping into an automatic restart,
followed by a fault that triggers another restart, etc. The problem is that
unless you can see the fault message it's virtually impossible to determine
if you're having a hardware or driver/service problem.

You can try this
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545&Product=winxp
to see if you can get to a functioning restore point.

You can also attempt to isolate the problem in place via recovery console.
That's dicey, even for some one that is technically competent. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=244905 for an explanation of
how to disable startup items/services via recovery console. About midway
down this article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316434&Product=winxp
is a list of most of the services that the OS uses in a default
configuration. Anything *not* on the list should be safe to disable for
diagnostic purposes. RPC is the *only* service that must be left on. All the
over services may, temporarily, be disabled but avoid disabling anything
that is shown by default as automatically started. Although it's possible to
get by with disabling some of those, disabling them blindly can cause worse
problems than you currently have.

Alternatively, you can try a repair reinstall. The disadvantage is that if
certain parts of the registry are damaged, especially related to the system
hive, a repair reinstall might not work. You can also try a parallel install
so that you can trouble shoot the damaged OS using something other than
recovery console, but unless you have a separate drive/partition, a parallel
install will stomp on part of the existing OS instance.

--
Walter Clayton - MS MVP(WinXP)
Associate Expert

"Ron F" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have two hard drives both maxtors,and lately my pc would
> lock up while certain programs run,so i tried system
> restore and it temporarally solved the issue,but it locked
> up again and now once it get to start up screen,running
> windows normally,or if i try safe mode,last known config
> that worked,whatever,it just keeps restarting itself over
> and over, would someone please help,what can make it stop
> restarting so i can at least get to safe mode?????

since my 2nd hard drive is basically for storage with no
os installed,what problems would occur if i installed
windows on that harddrive,and used my main one as slave?

insufficiently advanced.
>http://www.dts-l.org
>http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/fileversion/defa
ult.asp|

>"Ron F" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>>i have two hard drives both maxtors,and lately my pc
would
>> lock up while certain programs run,so i tried system
>> restore and it temporarally solved the issue,but it
locked
>> up again and now once it get to start up screen,running
>> windows normally,or if i try safe mode,last known config
>> that worked,whatever,it just keeps restarting itself
over
>> and over, would someone please help,what can make it
stop
>> restarting so i can at least get to safe mode?????
>
>.

That's a reasonable option. Going that route you can prove/disprove a
hardware issue and if the hardware isn't an issue you can manipulate the
failing OS image a bit easier. Give it a try and then see if you can get
into SR on the failing OS by following the instructions on the first link I
posted.