Possible CPU/Graphics card problem

cadlewv

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Hello. I have a problem where out of nowhere, my computer will go to a black screen and force me to power down and reboot. When hitting the power button, it doesn't make me hold it in for several seconds, it shuts down immediately. My CPU temp sits around 53C at idling.

I have no clue as to what is causing this. Is there a log or monitoring utility that I can post for someone to help me with this? It's been happening for a while. I was thinking about overclocking my Sempron 2500+, but am not about to while this problem is going on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SilverDragon

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
CPU temp sounds a bit on the high side, but nothing too far out of the norm. My Athlon 2500 idles around 38C but it's well cooled. First off, does this happen when you're using the system, or if it's just left on for a while. Does it happen more when gaming? A couple of things I'd suggest is to stress test the system to see if it happens most when under a heavy load, also turn off the power management settings in Windows. Additionally if you have access to another vid card give that a try as it will confirm whether it's the card or not.

cadlewv

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
CPU temp sounds a bit on the high side, but nothing too far out of the norm. My Athlon 2500 idles around 38C but it's well cooled. First off, does this happen when you're using the system, or if it's just left on for a while. Does it happen more when gaming? A couple of things I'd suggest is to stress test the system to see if it happens most when under a heavy load, also turn off the power management settings in Windows. Additionally if you have access to another vid card give that a try as it will confirm whether it's the card or not.

Thanks. It happens both when I'm using the system and when I'm not. I don't do any gaming. Power management settings are all disabled. There is no warning message when it goes out. I'm sure it's not hibernating or standing by because one very quick touch of the power button turns it off.

How would I go about stressing the system? A reminder though, I can be sitting here reading an email and it will happen.

cadlewv

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Ok. So, this is what's happened since. I've purchased and applied some new thermal grease, overclocked my Sempron 2500+ (1.75GHz) to 2.0 GHz and it's running between 49-52 degrees Celcius. Your thoughts on this?

Latest posts