  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
March 22, 2005 8:00:51 PM

OK, I blew it !

A while ago there was a post with the URL of a site that had free SRTM
scenery in sectors covering, I think, the whole world.

I downloaded and installed one of them, and like it very much, but never
recorded where I got it.

Does anyone remember where it might have been ?

Thanks much,

Perk (:>)

More about : srtm scenery

March 22, 2005 11:20:52 PM

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:00:51 -0800, Perk <perk@waverunner.net> brought
the following to our attention:

>OK, I blew it !
>
>A while ago there was a post with the URL of a site that had free SRTM
>scenery in sectors covering, I think, the whole world.
>
>I downloaded and installed one of them, and like it very much, but never
>recorded where I got it.
>
>Does anyone remember where it might have been ?
>
>Thanks much,
>
>Perk (:>)

You mean this one??

http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm

How's the following for a mesh collection? entire folder is 18.6GB
and most is defined in Scenery CFG for easy management. See
`Global Terrain' folders.

Volume in drive F is Edmain Tank 80 GB
Directory of F:\FS2002\SCENE - Mesh

- Mesh tank -
30m Finger Lakes, New York
30m Pennsylvania
38m Appalachian Mountains
38m Baltic
38m Big Bend National Park, Texas
38m New York & New England
70m Global Terrain - AF
70m Global Terrain - AG
70m Global Terrain - AU
70m Global Terrain - EA
70m Global Terrain - EB
70m Global Terrain - EC
70m Global Terrain - IS
70m Global Terrain - NA
70m Global Terrain - NB
70m Global Terrain - SA
76m Balkans
76m Canary Islands
76m Greece
76m Morocco, Atlas Mountains
76m Ukaine
76m Venezuela
76m Yemen
Altam, California Lake
Australia
Europe SRTM - Pietro
FSGenesis 38m - USA
FSGenesis 76m - British Isles
FSGenesis 76m - Central America
FSGenesis 76m - Himalayas
Iceland - Gaia Mesh System
Raimondo Taburet - 10m, 19m USA
Raimondo Taburet - 38m Alaska
Raimondo Taburet - 38m Rio De Janeiro
Raimondo Taburet - 38m USA
Raimondo Taburet - 76m Columbia, South America
Raimondo Taburet - 76m Swiss Alps
South America (SA-A to SA-HH)
USA Terrain Mesh - 30m
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 11:20:53 PM

Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:00:51 -0800, Perk <perk@waverunner.net> brought
> the following to our attention:
>

>>OK, I blew it !
>>
>>A while ago there was a post with the URL of a site that had free SRTM
>>scenery in sectors covering, I think, the whole world.
>>
>>I downloaded and installed one of them, and like it very much, but never
>>recorded where I got it.
>>
>>Does anyone remember where it might have been ?
>>
>>Thanks much,
>>
>>Perk (:>)
>

> You mean this one??
>
> http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm
>

> How's the following for a mesh collection? entire folder is 18.6GB
> and most is defined in Scenery CFG for easy management. See
> `Global Terrain' folders.
>

> Volume in drive F is Edmain Tank 80 GB
> Directory of F:\FS2002\SCENE - Mesh
>
> - Mesh tank -
> 30m Finger Lakes, New York
> 30m Pennsylvania
> 38m Appalachian Mountains
> 38m Baltic
> 38m Big Bend National Park, Texas
> 38m New York & New England
> 70m Global Terrain - AF
> 70m Global Terrain - AG
> 70m Global Terrain - AU
> 70m Global Terrain - EA
> 70m Global Terrain - EB
> 70m Global Terrain - EC
> 70m Global Terrain - IS
> 70m Global Terrain - NA
> 70m Global Terrain - NB
> 70m Global Terrain - SA
> 76m Balkans
> 76m Canary Islands
> 76m Greece
> 76m Morocco, Atlas Mountains
> 76m Ukaine
> 76m Venezuela
> 76m Yemen
> Altam, California Lake
> Australia
> Europe SRTM - Pietro
> FSGenesis 38m - USA
> FSGenesis 76m - British Isles
> FSGenesis 76m - Central America
> FSGenesis 76m - Himalayas
> Iceland - Gaia Mesh System
> Raimondo Taburet - 10m, 19m USA
> Raimondo Taburet - 38m Alaska
> Raimondo Taburet - 38m Rio De Janeiro
> Raimondo Taburet - 38m USA
> Raimondo Taburet - 76m Columbia, South America
> Raimondo Taburet - 76m Swiss Alps
> South America (SA-A to SA-HH)
> USA Terrain Mesh - 30m

Yep, I think that's the one.

Thanks much,

Perk (:>)
Related resources
March 23, 2005 1:15:38 AM

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:52:34 -0800, Perk <perk@waverunner.net> brought
the following to our attention:

>Gregory wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:00:51 -0800, Perk <perk@waverunner.net> brought
>> the following to our attention:
>>

>>>OK, I blew it !
>>>
>>>A while ago there was a post with the URL of a site that had free SRTM
>>>scenery in sectors covering, I think, the whole world.
>>>
>>>I downloaded and installed one of them, and like it very much, but never
>>>recorded where I got it.
>>>
>>>Does anyone remember where it might have been ? Thanks much,
>>>
>>>Perk (:>)
>>

>> You mean this one??
>>
>> http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm
>>

>Yep, I think that's the one.
>
>Thanks much,
>
>Perk (:>)

Hope you have broadband and 2 1/2 days.. also might need another hard
drive before long. :)  Wasn't able to get favorite website grabber
software to work on the above.. and hence retrieved each one at a
time.. and up to four sockets at once if I recall correct.

-Gregory
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 6:20:24 AM

"Gregory" wrote:

> You mean this one??
>
> http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm

Have these meshes the same quality like payware
meshes like fsgenesis for instance? And if not,
what is the difference? Why should anyone pay
for something, thats available for free?

Jan
March 23, 2005 6:20:25 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:20:24 +0100, "Jan Berg" <jan@epost.de> brought
the following to our attention:

>"Gregory" wrote:
>
>> You mean this one??
>>
>> http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm
>
>Have these meshes the same quality like payware
>meshes like fsgenesis for instance? And if not,
>what is the difference? Why should anyone pay
>for something, thats available for free?

Jan.. I think the quality is reduced, however Sim-wise the mesh is
typically ok. You'll find now-and-then lakes and airfield either way
below or way above the surface. One of the freeware mesh had
problems coming down the western Canadian coast from Alaska to
the NW USA.. got a CDT (crash) heading south.. and for some
reason, crashes TD over Seattle at hi-ALT.

Embarrassed to admit that my entire Sim is really a collection freely
available `parts'.. many of which are greatly `tinkered' with, but
that's the enjoyment of it.

As for payware mesh.. many would agree that it's top quality and
there's the support and service aspect of it as well. FSGenesis is
perhaps the best if you want a comprehensive high-quality product.

Mesh makes a BIG difference and so does Land Class. Lots of share-
ware LC is available here: http://www.fsfreeware.com/

Oops.. must turn off rant now. :)

-Gregory

p.s. mesh list above is an old ver.. on a Scenery.cfg kick tonight!!
March 23, 2005 7:27:03 AM

Jan Berg wrote:

>>You mean this one??
>>
>> http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm
>

> Have these meshes the same quality like payware
> meshes like fsgenesis for instance? And if not,
> what is the difference? Why should anyone pay
> for something, thats available for free?
>
> Jan

We talked about this some time ago and here are some comparison
pictures. It's in South or Central America to make sure I had only the
default scenery installed. Who knows what it actually looks like. You
could download the mesh for somewhere you know and compare.

http://xs21.xs.to/pics/05123/70m-mesh.jpg

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
March 23, 2005 12:22:28 PM

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> Jan Berg wrote:
>
> >>You mean this one??
>>>
>>> http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm
>>

>> Have these meshes the same quality like payware
>> meshes like fsgenesis for instance? And if not,
>> what is the difference? Why should anyone pay
>> for something, thats available for free?
>>
>> Jan
>
> We talked about this some time ago and here are some comparison pictures.
> It's in South or Central America to make sure I had only the default
> scenery installed. Who knows what it actually looks like. You could
> download the mesh for somewhere you know and compare.
>

> http://xs21.xs.to/pics/05123/70m-mesh.jpg
>
> --
>
> boB
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Hmmm, the SRTM also seems to have the added benefit of getting your
aircraft right side up again. I could use that.

(BTW, the otherwise wonderful Howard 500 is rather poor at aerobatics.)

Bob McKellar
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 10:05:29 PM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:22:28 -0500, Bob McKellar wrote:

> (BTW, the otherwise wonderful Howard 500 is rather poor at aerobatics.)

Don't I know it.
I'm currently flying one around the world.

I sometimes try a steep dive from FL180 and try and straighten her out
around 1000ft. No can do. This lady doesn't like that kind of aggressive
flying and she let's ya know it by not letting you pull out of the dive.

It always worked with the Baron! :-)

--

Marcel
(Any landing you walk away from wasn't one of Melissa's! <g>)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:20:24 +0100, Jan Berg wrote:

> Have these meshes the same quality like payware
> meshes like fsgenesis for instance? And if not,
> what is the difference? Why should anyone pay
> for something, thats available for free?
>
> Jan

Jan, my grandpappy used to tell me this:

"Son, quality is like buying oats. If you want nice, fresh oats you have
to be willing to pay the farmer a fair price. If you can be happy with
oats that have already been through the horse though, them's a LOT
CHEAPER!" ;)

The difference is in the error correction mostly. The same basic source
data is used by nearly everyone, but the results vary tremendously!

Bill
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:51:55 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:20:24 +0100, Jan Berg wrote:

> Why should anyone pay
> for something, thats available for free?

I know you didn't ask this, but I've also heard folks ask why they should
pay for mesh when the source data "is available for free" (at least in the
U.S., that is).

The answer of course is quite simple. You aren't paying for the data,
you're paying for the LABOR and KNOWLEDGE that some person has put into
translating the raw data into a usable source file...

It sort of like asking why you should have to pay for a house built with
lumber you got for free... ;)

Bill
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 7:22:09 PM

Exactly. Payware developers are adding value to the originally-free data by
downloading it, fixing the numerous errors properly, and packaging it for
easy distribution and installation. After that, they're adding more value
in the form of support and any necessary updates.

Justin
www.fsgenesis.net

"Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:20:24 +0100, Jan Berg wrote:
>
>> Why should anyone pay
>> for something, thats available for free?
>
> I know you didn't ask this, but I've also heard folks ask why they should
> pay for mesh when the source data "is available for free" (at least in the
> U.S., that is).
>
> The answer of course is quite simple. You aren't paying for the data,
> you're paying for the LABOR and KNOWLEDGE that some person has put into
> translating the raw data into a usable source file...
>
> It sort of like asking why you should have to pay for a house built with
> lumber you got for free... ;)
>
> Bill
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 11:41:20 PM

"FSGenesis" wrote:

> Exactly. Payware developers are adding value to the originally-free data
> by downloading it, fixing the numerous errors properly, and packaging it
> for easy distribution and installation. After that, they're adding more
> value in the form of support and any necessary updates.
>
> Justin
> www.fsgenesis.net

What a pleasing attendance. I'm very glad to get some informations from the
source. Nice to meet you and greetings from germany. I didn't call one of
your
meshes my own yet, but if the good comments about them dont stop finally,
i will buy the european mesh. I already visited your page and have been
happy
about your fair prices.

Salut,
Jan