SRTM Scenery

OK, I blew it !

A while ago there was a post with the URL of a site that had free SRTM
scenery in sectors covering, I think, the whole world.

I downloaded and installed one of them, and like it very much, but never
recorded where I got it.

Does anyone remember where it might have been ?

Thanks much,

Perk (:>)
13 answers Last reply
More about srtm scenery

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:00:51 -0800, Perk <perk@waverunner.net> brought
    the following to our attention:

    >OK, I blew it !
    >
    >A while ago there was a post with the URL of a site that had free SRTM
    >scenery in sectors covering, I think, the whole world.
    >
    >I downloaded and installed one of them, and like it very much, but never
    >recorded where I got it.
    >
    >Does anyone remember where it might have been ?
    >
    >Thanks much,
    >
    >Perk (:>)

    You mean this one??

    http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm

    How's the following for a mesh collection? entire folder is 18.6GB
    and most is defined in Scenery CFG for easy management. See
    `Global Terrain' folders.

    Volume in drive F is Edmain Tank 80 GB
    Directory of F:\FS2002\SCENE - Mesh

    - Mesh tank -
    30m Finger Lakes, New York
    30m Pennsylvania
    38m Appalachian Mountains
    38m Baltic
    38m Big Bend National Park, Texas
    38m New York & New England
    70m Global Terrain - AF
    70m Global Terrain - AG
    70m Global Terrain - AU
    70m Global Terrain - EA
    70m Global Terrain - EB
    70m Global Terrain - EC
    70m Global Terrain - IS
    70m Global Terrain - NA
    70m Global Terrain - NB
    70m Global Terrain - SA
    76m Balkans
    76m Canary Islands
    76m Greece
    76m Morocco, Atlas Mountains
    76m Ukaine
    76m Venezuela
    76m Yemen
    Altam, California Lake
    Australia
    Europe SRTM - Pietro
    FSGenesis 38m - USA
    FSGenesis 76m - British Isles
    FSGenesis 76m - Central America
    FSGenesis 76m - Himalayas
    Iceland - Gaia Mesh System
    Raimondo Taburet - 10m, 19m USA
    Raimondo Taburet - 38m Alaska
    Raimondo Taburet - 38m Rio De Janeiro
    Raimondo Taburet - 38m USA
    Raimondo Taburet - 76m Columbia, South America
    Raimondo Taburet - 76m Swiss Alps
    South America (SA-A to SA-HH)
    USA Terrain Mesh - 30m

    Gregory wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:00:51 -0800, Perk <perk@waverunner.net> brought
    > the following to our attention:
    >

    >>OK, I blew it !
    >>
    >>A while ago there was a post with the URL of a site that had free SRTM
    >>scenery in sectors covering, I think, the whole world.
    >>
    >>I downloaded and installed one of them, and like it very much, but never
    >>recorded where I got it.
    >>
    >>Does anyone remember where it might have been ?
    >>
    >>Thanks much,
    >>
    >>Perk (:>)
    >

    > You mean this one??
    >
    > http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm
    >

    > How's the following for a mesh collection? entire folder is 18.6GB
    > and most is defined in Scenery CFG for easy management. See
    > `Global Terrain' folders.
    >

    > Volume in drive F is Edmain Tank 80 GB
    > Directory of F:\FS2002\SCENE - Mesh
    >
    > - Mesh tank -
    > 30m Finger Lakes, New York
    > 30m Pennsylvania
    > 38m Appalachian Mountains
    > 38m Baltic
    > 38m Big Bend National Park, Texas
    > 38m New York & New England
    > 70m Global Terrain - AF
    > 70m Global Terrain - AG
    > 70m Global Terrain - AU
    > 70m Global Terrain - EA
    > 70m Global Terrain - EB
    > 70m Global Terrain - EC
    > 70m Global Terrain - IS
    > 70m Global Terrain - NA
    > 70m Global Terrain - NB
    > 70m Global Terrain - SA
    > 76m Balkans
    > 76m Canary Islands
    > 76m Greece
    > 76m Morocco, Atlas Mountains
    > 76m Ukaine
    > 76m Venezuela
    > 76m Yemen
    > Altam, California Lake
    > Australia
    > Europe SRTM - Pietro
    > FSGenesis 38m - USA
    > FSGenesis 76m - British Isles
    > FSGenesis 76m - Central America
    > FSGenesis 76m - Himalayas
    > Iceland - Gaia Mesh System
    > Raimondo Taburet - 10m, 19m USA
    > Raimondo Taburet - 38m Alaska
    > Raimondo Taburet - 38m Rio De Janeiro
    > Raimondo Taburet - 38m USA
    > Raimondo Taburet - 76m Columbia, South America
    > Raimondo Taburet - 76m Swiss Alps
    > South America (SA-A to SA-HH)
    > USA Terrain Mesh - 30m

    Yep, I think that's the one.

    Thanks much,

    Perk (:>)

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:52:34 -0800, Perk <perk@waverunner.net> brought
    the following to our attention:

    >Gregory wrote:
    >> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:00:51 -0800, Perk <perk@waverunner.net> brought
    >> the following to our attention:
    >>

    >>>OK, I blew it !
    >>>
    >>>A while ago there was a post with the URL of a site that had free SRTM
    >>>scenery in sectors covering, I think, the whole world.
    >>>
    >>>I downloaded and installed one of them, and like it very much, but never
    >>>recorded where I got it.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone remember where it might have been ? Thanks much,
    >>>
    >>>Perk (:>)
    >>

    >> You mean this one??
    >>
    >> http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm
    >>

    >Yep, I think that's the one.
    >
    >Thanks much,
    >
    >Perk (:>)

    Hope you have broadband and 2 1/2 days.. also might need another hard
    drive before long. :) Wasn't able to get favorite website grabber
    software to work on the above.. and hence retrieved each one at a
    time.. and up to four sockets at once if I recall correct.

    -Gregory

    "Gregory" wrote:

    > You mean this one??
    >
    > http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm

    Have these meshes the same quality like payware
    meshes like fsgenesis for instance? And if not,
    what is the difference? Why should anyone pay
    for something, thats available for free?

    Jan

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:20:24 +0100, "Jan Berg" <jan@epost.de> brought
    the following to our attention:

    >"Gregory" wrote:
    >
    >> You mean this one??
    >>
    >> http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm
    >
    >Have these meshes the same quality like payware
    >meshes like fsgenesis for instance? And if not,
    >what is the difference? Why should anyone pay
    >for something, thats available for free?

    Jan.. I think the quality is reduced, however Sim-wise the mesh is
    typically ok. You'll find now-and-then lakes and airfield either way
    below or way above the surface. One of the freeware mesh had
    problems coming down the western Canadian coast from Alaska to
    the NW USA.. got a CDT (crash) heading south.. and for some
    reason, crashes TD over Seattle at hi-ALT.

    Embarrassed to admit that my entire Sim is really a collection freely
    available `parts'.. many of which are greatly `tinkered' with, but
    that's the enjoyment of it.

    As for payware mesh.. many would agree that it's top quality and
    there's the support and service aspect of it as well. FSGenesis is
    perhaps the best if you want a comprehensive high-quality product.

    Mesh makes a BIG difference and so does Land Class. Lots of share-
    ware LC is available here: http://www.fsfreeware.com/

    Oops.. must turn off rant now. :)

    -Gregory

    p.s. mesh list above is an old ver.. on a Scenery.cfg kick tonight!!

    Jan Berg wrote:

    >>You mean this one??
    >>
    >> http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm
    >

    > Have these meshes the same quality like payware
    > meshes like fsgenesis for instance? And if not,
    > what is the difference? Why should anyone pay
    > for something, thats available for free?
    >
    > Jan

    We talked about this some time ago and here are some comparison
    pictures. It's in South or Central America to make sure I had only the
    default scenery installed. Who knows what it actually looks like. You
    could download the mesh for somewhere you know and compare.

    http://xs21.xs.to/pics/05123/70m-mesh.jpg

    --

    boB

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
    > Jan Berg wrote:
    >
    > >>You mean this one??
    >>>
    >>> http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm
    >>

    >> Have these meshes the same quality like payware
    >> meshes like fsgenesis for instance? And if not,
    >> what is the difference? Why should anyone pay
    >> for something, thats available for free?
    >>
    >> Jan
    >
    > We talked about this some time ago and here are some comparison pictures.
    > It's in South or Central America to make sure I had only the default
    > scenery installed. Who knows what it actually looks like. You could
    > download the mesh for somewhere you know and compare.
    >

    > http://xs21.xs.to/pics/05123/70m-mesh.jpg
    >
    > --
    >
    > boB
    >
    > U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    Hmmm, the SRTM also seems to have the added benefit of getting your
    aircraft right side up again. I could use that.

    (BTW, the otherwise wonderful Howard 500 is rather poor at aerobatics.)

    Bob McKellar

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:22:28 -0500, Bob McKellar wrote:

    > (BTW, the otherwise wonderful Howard 500 is rather poor at aerobatics.)

    Don't I know it.
    I'm currently flying one around the world.

    I sometimes try a steep dive from FL180 and try and straighten her out
    around 1000ft. No can do. This lady doesn't like that kind of aggressive
    flying and she let's ya know it by not letting you pull out of the dive.

    It always worked with the Baron! :-)

    --

    Marcel
    (Any landing you walk away from wasn't one of Melissa's! <g>)

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:20:24 +0100, Jan Berg wrote:

    > Have these meshes the same quality like payware
    > meshes like fsgenesis for instance? And if not,
    > what is the difference? Why should anyone pay
    > for something, thats available for free?
    >
    > Jan

    Jan, my grandpappy used to tell me this:

    "Son, quality is like buying oats. If you want nice, fresh oats you have
    to be willing to pay the farmer a fair price. If you can be happy with
    oats that have already been through the horse though, them's a LOT
    CHEAPER!" ;)

    The difference is in the error correction mostly. The same basic source
    data is used by nearly everyone, but the results vary tremendously!

    Bill

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:20:24 +0100, Jan Berg wrote:

    > Why should anyone pay
    > for something, thats available for free?

    I know you didn't ask this, but I've also heard folks ask why they should
    pay for mesh when the source data "is available for free" (at least in the
    U.S., that is).

    The answer of course is quite simple. You aren't paying for the data,
    you're paying for the LABOR and KNOWLEDGE that some person has put into
    translating the raw data into a usable source file...

    It sort of like asking why you should have to pay for a house built with
    lumber you got for free... ;)

    Bill

    Exactly. Payware developers are adding value to the originally-free data by
    downloading it, fixing the numerous errors properly, and packaging it for
    easy distribution and installation. After that, they're adding more value
    in the form of support and any necessary updates.

    Justin
    www.fsgenesis.net

    "FSGenesis" wrote:

    > Exactly. Payware developers are adding value to the originally-free data
    > by downloading it, fixing the numerous errors properly, and packaging it
    > for easy distribution and installation. After that, they're adding more
    > value in the form of support and any necessary updates.
    >
    > Justin
    > www.fsgenesis.net

    What a pleasing attendance. I'm very glad to get some informations from the
    source. Nice to meet you and greetings from germany. I didn't call one of
    your
    meshes my own yet, but if the good comments about them dont stop finally,
    i will buy the european mesh. I already visited your page and have been
    happy
    about your fair prices.

    Salut,
    Jan

    HI Jan,

    Thank you. Nice to meet you, too.

    Justin

    "Jan Berg" <jan@epost.de> wrote in message
    > "FSGenesis" wrote:
    >
    >> Exactly. Payware developers are adding value to the originally-free data
    >> by downloading it, fixing the numerous errors properly, and packaging it
    >> for easy distribution and installation. After that, they're adding more
    >> value in the form of support and any necessary updates.
    >>
    >> Justin
    >> www.fsgenesis.net
    >
    > What a pleasing attendance. I'm very glad to get some informations from
    > the
    > source. Nice to meet you and greetings from germany. I didn't call one of
    > your
    > meshes my own yet, but if the good comments about them dont stop finally,
    > i will buy the european mesh. I already visited your page and have been
    > happy
    > about your fair prices.
    >
    > Salut,
    > Jan