Changing router

I previously installed a Microsoft Wireless Base Station (MN-500) and
Wireless Adapter to connect 2 desktops, but was unable to get the network
functioning. Since then the older desktop has died and I now have a laptop.
I also purchased a Belkin 802.11g router to use instead. What do I need to
remove/disable in order to make this change? I disconnected the router
(which was never actually used) but if I try to install the Belkin software
it immediatey comes back with a message that the router is correctly
installed and set to go. I am using a Motorola Surfboard SB4200 Cable Modem.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Malke

debdog wrote:

> I previously installed a Microsoft Wireless Base Station (MN-500) and
> Wireless Adapter to connect 2 desktops, but was unable to get the
> network
> functioning. Since then the older desktop has died and I now have a
> laptop.
> I also purchased a Belkin 802.11g router to use instead. What do I
> need to
> remove/disable in order to make this change? I disconnected the
> router (which was never actually used) but if I try to install the
> Belkin software it immediatey comes back with a message that the
> router is correctly
> installed and set to go. I am using a Motorola Surfboard SB4200 Cable
> Modem.
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Well, can you get to the Internet with it? Start by attaching your
laptop to the router wired. Turn off your modem and the router and the
laptop. Wait about 30 seconds. Now turn on the modem, then the router,
then the laptop. Can you access the Internet?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I'll give it a try. I just assumed that I needed some of the info from the
Belkin installation disk in order for the router to function properly.

"Malke" wrote:

> debdog wrote:
>
> > I previously installed a Microsoft Wireless Base Station (MN-500) and
> > Wireless Adapter to connect 2 desktops, but was unable to get the
> > network
> > functioning. Since then the older desktop has died and I now have a
> > laptop.
> > I also purchased a Belkin 802.11g router to use instead. What do I
> > need to
> > remove/disable in order to make this change? I disconnected the
> > router (which was never actually used) but if I try to install the
> > Belkin software it immediatey comes back with a message that the
> > router is correctly
> > installed and set to go. I am using a Motorola Surfboard SB4200 Cable
> > Modem.
> > Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Well, can you get to the Internet with it? Start by attaching your
> laptop to the router wired. Turn off your modem and the router and the
> laptop. Wait about 30 seconds. Now turn on the modem, then the router,
> then the laptop. Can you access the Internet?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Something to keep in mind -- I have a friend in support at
Comcast and she says they have had a number of problems
when the wifi router is too close to the cable modem (she
specifically mentioned the Surfboard modem). I think
"too close" was something less than a couple of feet apart.

mikey

"debdog" <debdog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'll give it a try. I just assumed that I needed some of the info from
the
> Belkin installation disk in order for the router to function properly.
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
> > debdog wrote:
> >
> > > I previously installed a Microsoft Wireless Base Station (MN-500) and
> > > Wireless Adapter to connect 2 desktops, but was unable to get the
> > > network
> > > functioning. Since then the older desktop has died and I now have a
> > > laptop.
> > > I also purchased a Belkin 802.11g router to use instead. What do I
> > > need to
> > > remove/disable in order to make this change? I disconnected the
> > > router (which was never actually used) but if I try to install the
> > > Belkin software it immediatey comes back with a message that the
> > > router is correctly
> > > installed and set to go. I am using a Motorola Surfboard SB4200 Cable
> > > Modem.
> > > Thanks for any suggestions.
> >
> > Well, can you get to the Internet with it? Start by attaching your
> > laptop to the router wired. Turn off your modem and the router and the
> > laptop. Wait about 30 seconds. Now turn on the modem, then the router,
> > then the laptop. Can you access the Internet?
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks, mine are right next to each other so I'll move one.