Video card in HP 6835 not updating

Mike

Splendid

I have a HP pavilion 6835 (model p3926a) that had Intel
graphics video on MB. The graphics went sour and have
installed a Monster Fusion PCI video card (it is what we
had around). The machine recognizes the card at startup
with the banner about the Monster Fusion Card w/16mb.
However when I try to update the driver from the Control
Panel Display properties it doesn't change the settings.
It still thinks that the default Microsoft VGA is
running. The machine originally came with Win ME which
was replaced with NT 4.0 Workstation. The HP site says to
go to Registry and disable on-board video, however I saw
no listing for disabling the video. The HP site also
suggested there may be jumpers but when I found info about
the MB on the HP site it says there are no jumpers. Any
help would be appreciated.

Mike

Calvin

Hi Mike,

what Service Pack revision is NT 4.0 at currently? There are known issues with
some video cards (more notably AGP, but some PCI cards are affected to) with the
supplied manufacturer drivers not working until NT4 is brought up to at least SP3.

I would suggest apply SP6a if you haven't already, then see what happens. You
may find the drivers you installed will then suddenly spring to life and work -
or you may need to install them again.

Calvin.

The machine is running SP6a and the card is a PCI card.
The drivers I am using are both from a Monster CD that
came with the card and downloaded drivers from Diamond
Multi Media which were about a year newer than CD. The
display settings seem to be set to 16 colors which is the
only setting that can be chosen. There are a number of
references in the registry to 16 colors. Could this be
limiting the color choices? In the current control set
and control set 001 the video appears set to the Diamond
Multi Media card. After a reboot the Display settings
form will list Diamond MM as the driver the first time,
but if you close and reopen it then it will say MIcrosoft
VGA.

MIke

Try a different version of the driver.
If you still have problems, reinstall the Service Pack 6a
and try the drivers again.

Calvin

Hi Mike,

I'm not quite sure what to advise you to do. It would appear that the Video Card
Drivers are not functioning correctly on your system - as to why, well, that
seems to be a little more difficult to work out.

Obviously, seeing you have made no mention, there are no service or device
driver failure warnings at start up ?

If you can identify the names of the drivers the video card uses, have a look
with task manager (processes tab) and see if any reference is made to them.
WinMSD may also help - have a look at the 'Display' tab and see what is
reported, and also check the 'Resources' tab and see if mention is made of the
video card in the 'Memory' section. It ordinarily should be mapped into 1 or
more blocks.

It may be worth having a look at this machine with process explorer from Systems
Internals and see if you can spot the relevant drivers as being loaded in memory
and doing something useful.

My suspicion is that either the drivers you have are unsuitable for your
machine, or something in the machine is blocking the drivers and preventing them
from correctly accessing the hardware.

An obvious point I should have asked before - does this HP machine have
motherboard integrated video hardware and please confirm it is correctly
disabled and not conflicting with your PCI card if so.

Hope the info helps.
Calvin.