Tags:
  • Optical Media
  • Burner
  • DVD Writers
  • Compatibility
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 30, 2005 5:53:33 PM

Just wondering.. I know most DVD-R's are the standard for backing up movies because they are the most compatible with most players.

Just noticed that i haven't seen burners that burn DVD-R DL. Are the DL +R discs as compatible as the dvd-r regular 4.5gb discs?

just wondering before i waste money on DL.

More about : dual layer media dvd

December 31, 2005 5:01:05 AM

Briefly parused Tom's DVD-drive roundup, and reading the conclusion, one thing they pointed out was that they were unable to find any DVD-R DL media. But with DL discs costing 3-4 times as much as a regular DVD, it's hard for me to justify using them for anything (even though I own a DL drive myself).
January 2, 2006 6:24:19 PM

DVD-R is only slightly more compatible w/ standalone DVD players. Any standalone made today will work with both. Any standalone player made in the past 3 years will work with both. I have one of Sony's first DVD standalone players in my kid's room and it reads both just fine.

Not many generic burners out there do DVD-R DL. Mostly cause DVD-R sucks IMO. DVD+R has always been the prefered format by most. However, tomshardware recently did a double layer roundup and the name brands support DVD-R DL up to 8x (NEC, Pioneer, Toshiba, and Sony).

As for the DVD-R DL media... apparently Tomshardware and others aren't looking hard enough. Here's a list of websites with that media:

http://www.cdrdvdrmedia.com/verbatim-95165-4x-dl-dvd-r-...
http://www.supermediastore.com/verbatim-4x-dual-double-...
http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp;jsessionid=bV8Ia9yO9ihakdXmIq?Search=95165&Title=T&iid=146468

-mpjesse
Related resources
January 10, 2006 7:26:10 AM

excellent as usual fellas
January 15, 2006 3:58:23 AM

yea i been using shrink + anyDVD with -R media discs. recently i been just using the re-author and burning just the Movie file with out the menu's, copy's are coming alittle better i think.

Dvd Fab is good 2, i use it when anydvd don't cut it.
January 15, 2006 4:04:56 AM

how do you change the Bitsetting? i only noticed regional settings on FAB.
January 19, 2006 2:56:19 AM

rgr that!

something to look foward to i guess.

how's the benQ drive overall? i been using LiteON optical drives for quite some time now, excellent thus the years.
January 20, 2006 7:19:36 PM

well im not gonna really look into drives as we speak. Im not looking for atleast another 8-9 months. till i do my new build.

waiting for alot of sata drives to hit the market. maybe an hd-dvd burner.. idn something new for the new system.
January 27, 2006 6:29:19 AM

I'm with HD-DVD on this one. The problem with Blue-Ray is that it is being pushed mostly by content creators (i.e. Whatever Sony's movie studio is). As such, it's looking to be more restrictive on fair use options and copyright protections. Conversely, with Microsoft and Intel now backing HD-DVD, and their push for the next year being heavily focused on media centers (VIV and XP Media Center Edition), they're helping to make sure that some consumer rights are thrown into the mix.
!