Continuous forms on dot matrix

If I develop a program to print on continuous forms (perforated paper)
using one brand of dot matrix printer, will the print-outs still be
accurate using another brand of dot matrix printer ?

Thanks.

In article <417F4501.1080707@pc.jaring.my>, cnlai <cnlai@pc.jaring.my>
writes
>If I develop a program to print on continuous forms (perforated paper)
>using one brand of dot matrix printer, will the print-outs still be
>accurate using another brand of dot matrix printer ?

If your program sends out escape codes to the printer, these can differ
= the main variations, I seem to remember, are Epson and IBM compatible
printers.

Another problem you might encounter is with fonts. You need to use a
fixed-space font like Courier to make sure that all the elements of a
form, like vertical lines and columns, line up. It should print out OK
on any make of printer provided that it is using a fixed-space font.
--
Thoss

cnlai wrote:
> If I develop a program to print on continuous forms (perforated paper)
> using one brand of dot matrix printer, will the print-outs still be
> accurate using another brand of dot matrix printer ?
>
> Thanks.

Maybe --- if you do all of your development for a generic text only
printer.

But, nothing is promised.

In the old days, one always had to use the printer drivers for the
target printers, or so memory seems to imply.

Certain printer emulatins were quite commonly available on a wide
variety of printers, and the intelligent use of these widely available
printer emulations could give your software some portability in printing.

Jim

Keepsake gift for young girls.
Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
Builds strong minds 12 ways.
Guaranteed satisfaction
- courteous money back
- keep bonus gifts

http://www.alicebook.com

Alan

cnlai <cnlai@pc.jaring.my> wrote in message news:<417F4501.1080707@pc.jaring.my>...
> If I develop a program to print on continuous forms (perforated paper)
> using one brand of dot matrix printer, will the print-outs still be
> accurate using another brand of dot matrix printer ?

Most likely. Almost every dot matrix emulates Epson printer language.

I assume it's unadorned text.
You can pretty much guarantee having a "normal" font, 80 characters on
a normal 8.5x12 (IIRC) page, or 132 on a wide page, and a condensed
font which fits 132 characters on a normal page.

Also, preferably use a formfeed to advance over the perforation rather
than a number of linefeeds. The printer should keep track of that if
it's set up correctly.