velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
hi there, I'll be using a Western Digital 74gb raptor for my C: drive.
I need another drive that's sata2, about 100-200gb in size. any recomendations? what are all the good HDD brands?

baracuda73

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Far as i am concerned i would stick with WD Good drives good warenty and usually at or near tops so far as access time is concerned.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
If I were you, and if you were of large wallet get SCSI!

But i will say that IDE's are not bad, try a western digital they seem to last better than Seagate drives.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
what's scsi? kidding. :lol: the mobo i'll be buying has no scsi port and i don't to dish out more money for a scsi card and pay extra for the HDD.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
But just think, the SCSI drive will be there longer than you, and your body and the lead in your spleen and the protons in the lead and the quarks in the protons and the strings in the quarks. They never seem to break.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
This is a question that really has no definitive answer since everyone has had good and bad results from all of the manufacturers. Over the last almost 10 years of system building, I can honestly say the only brand that really stood out for failures was IBM with their Desk(Death)stars. That being the case, when Seagate announced their drives would have a 5 year warranty, we went with that. We have done well with them with very few problems. Just our experience, I'm sure others will vary and disagree.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I only really trust western digital, a friend of mine deals in pc parts and each time a part breaks he returns it but keeps a sticker on his cupboard door. It is completely coated in seagate stickers, and a few maxtor ones. So iow seagate just bought the second worst hard drive manufacturer.