Terabyte

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Hey, I have a really really old computer, that still does the job and still works like a charm.. only it doesn't have a Wake on Lan feature available on the motherboard to connect to the network card.
Is there any otherway I can make my PC wake up remotely?

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
You could get one of those clapping switches, you know the sound activated ones, then buy a walkie talkie... and place it near to the switch that you have connected to your power cable, or you could put a cellphone with a clapping ringtone next to it... When you live in a third world country you learn to improvise.

Snowballs chance in hell that that helped...

Accidentally made this reply a topic sorry.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
He says "really old" computer, so We'd have to assume he'd also have to get a new CPU, new RAM, and new gfx card at the very least. Probably a new PSU too.

Terabyte:
If your BIOS has the option to 'boot after power shutdown' or whatever it's called, you could rig up a timed socket adapter. Those ones for turning on and off your lights when you're on holiday. Of course that means you'd have to set it to turn on/off suddenly at preset times, which might not be too good for it really - the hardware would be fine, but your windows install might not like it much :).. assuming you're running Windows of course.

A more interesting idea would be to get an old mobile 'phone with a pay as you go tariff, so it doesn't cost anything to sit there waiting for a call. You could then wire the speaker wires up in parallel to the on switch (the header on the motherboard)

A ridiculous idea, but I might try it mself :mrgreen: . I'd need to find out how much voltage goes through the speaker wires first though.... 8O

None of that really helps much I guess. If your board doesn't support it, then there's not much you can do apart from upgrade :?

Tell us what you have (and a budget, if you have one), and we can recommend something :D

Terabyte

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
He says "really old" computer, so We'd have to assume he'd also have to get a new CPU, new RAM, and new gfx card at the very least. Probably a new PSU too.

Terabyte:
If your BIOS has the option to 'boot after power shutdown' or whatever it's called, you could rig up a timed socket adapter. Those ones for turning on and off your lights when you're on holiday. Of course that means you'd have to set it to turn on/off suddenly at preset times, which might not be too good for it really - the hardware would be fine, but your windows install might not like it much :).. assuming you're running Windows of course.

A more interesting idea would be to get an old mobile 'phone with a pay as you go tariff, so it doesn't cost anything to sit there waiting for a call. You could then wire the speaker wires up in parallel to the on switch (the header on the motherboard)

A ridiculous idea, but I might try it mself :mrgreen: . I'd need to find out how much voltage goes through the speaker wires first though.... 8O

None of that really helps much I guess. If your board doesn't support it, then there's not much you can do apart from upgrade :?

Tell us what you have (and a budget, if you have one), and we can recommend something :D

Actually I quite like that idea. I might try it in the future. ATM i don't have a mobile (not even a cheap one) to destroy.. but it sounds like a plan. :D

Thanks everyone.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I can't believe that people might actually go for something like this, i would get a pay-as-you-go sim card so you don't need to pay any fees, you get walki e talkies that go 4km or so but that voltage idea is good. Finally poeple are not automatically slamming my ideas. :oops: