suggestion on cooler :)

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i have an amd64 3700+ socket 754 looking for yet anoter heatsink! the thermaltake silent boost one i got at compusa is a total piece... at least it has been for me, my comp idles at 50 and full load gets to 65... im starting to believe its because the socket 754 3700 runs at 2.4ghz instead of 2.2 like the socket 939 3700... my only guess as to why its hot... suggestions for a good cooler? preferably around 50 bux... not gonna overclock because i have a cheap chaintech mobo that came with the proc, doesnt even support overclocking i dun think... just needs to keep cool in summer when my room is around 80 F

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Sounds to me like it is not installed correctly. Clean it off, clear the old thermal paste, spread on a thin layer of fresh Artic Sikver, place it on and make sure its snugg.

Make sure you have good case cooling and ventilation as well. That cooler should do much better than that!

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
A good way to cool your PC (it'll uglify it forever though) Is just get an average pedestal fan and replace the side cover with the fan and remove the other side panel, should cost you less than a 'gaming' cooler.

I'm spouting some weird ideas recently...

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Before I replaced my crappy XP stock cooler I had a parge boxfan the size of my full tower tethered right to the side of the case! Worked good for a temp job...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
ive reapplied paste already, im all out now... its a very thin layer but also not too thin! looked perfect to me.. it was the size of a BB... ill try putting a box fan on the side of my case and get back to u in about an hour...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
well i let it idle for about 20 min... plenty of time to let all the hot air out... idle temp went from 49 to 48... this makes me pretty sure that its just a bad temp sensor... on all of em... theres 4 other temps i use and none of them changed or have changed since ive been looking not even by 1 degree i think there just messed up... prob gonna go buy a temp sensor.. suggestions?

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

I use artic silver and Thermaltake's Silent Boost on my AMD 3700+ (939). My temps haven't gone higher than let say 93 and goes as low as 83 (maybe even lower).

Having a good airflow in the case can drive temps even lower.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
no, comp seems to be very very stable... played wow for almost 10 hours in 1 gaming session and had no problems at all... didnt even realize temps were crazy high till i opened speedfan to see how well my cooler was working... should i just ignore this until there is a problem or do somthing now to prevent problems? (my mobo temp says its more than 10 C higher than what speedfan says, in the bios)... idle temp says 60 in bios speedfan says 50... people say that chaintech has calibration problems i think this is the case, the other sensors dont seem to do anything at all and the cpu temp changes from 50 to 65 within 2 sec of having full load..

im thinkin bout runnin to compusa and buying a 5.25" temp reader... its
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=294975&pfp=BROWSE

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I've liked the Swiftech line of heatsinks/fans for some time now. They make several for socket 754. You can view them at www.swiftnets.com.
Just a suggestion.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
ive heard good things bout those... my temps have dropped 3 degrees since last night, how long does it take for thermal paste to set in? its been about 20 hours.

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Well heres a simple and cheap solution to many cpu heat problems (even if you have good thermal application, it may drop temps by another 5-10C)

http://overclockers.com/tips1187/

I own an A64-3000NewCastle (2ghz @2.4ghz - stock HSF), before it idled at around 45C no load and about 55C+/- on 100% load with Prime95

With the case mod, it dropped temps to 28C+/- Idle, and about 35C+/- 100% load with prime95, however I only used 1 80mm fan and it still remained very cool without the extra noise. I highly recommend doing this. Smile

duality

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
For arctic cooling, the instruction says you actually need to cool off the computer to room temperature after about five hours of usage; in case you haven't heard about it yet, now you have. I read you should continue to do that for about a week.

As for temperature, though... you do realize airflow has a big part in this? The computer temperature would undoubtedly be a mess with poor airflow. Wiring resembling a rat's nest would undoubtedly not help, as well as cases with not enough holes for fans. With your computer, I think at least a rear fan is a must, and a PSU with a big 120mm fan also helps.

So, get the air pumping, maybe open up a hole from your PCI slots, take care to organize the wires, and if that doesn't work... I guess you either (1) get a new case--don't cheap out on it! or (2) a good cooler. Anything from Thermalright will work as well as Zalman CNPS7000/7700. Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 and Freezer Pro 64 should also work admirably, and Scythe Ninja paired with a fan will work great also.

I hope that helps.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
well ive already hidden all my wires... (basically put them in a 5.25 bay that isnt used... which doesnt impeed airflow) i have 2 x 120 mm fans, a pci fan, 2 psu fans, and the cpu fan. its a thermaltake tsunami, thermaltake is known for making good quality cases, ive taken the side off for hours at a time with no diff in ANY of the sensors i fear its just bad reads, the only temp that changes is the cpu, and it changes drastically with less than 20% load, i think its a bs read, i KNOW that the heatsink is set correctly and is down tight (look at thermaltake silent boost) there is no way to set it incorrectly, it simply wont clamp down unless its in the right position. ive touched the heatsink, heatpipes, and gpu to get a sense of how they compare... the gpu is by far hotter than the cpu, it has to be a bad read, theres no other explination.... heatsink is cool to the touch on cpu, on gpu heatsink is warm to the touch, like touching a warm mug of coffee. bad heatsink maybe? i could try to reset it once more... apply new artic silver but i feel there is no need to repeat myself when i know its on correctly

duality

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Well, if you can touch the heatsink and is cool to the touch, it means only one thing:

Your sensor is faulty.

I think there's something wrong with the sensor; so try to fix the sensor instead (possibly by RMAing it?). If it doesn't bother you much, though... well, you should just let it be.

I'm sorry, but I don't think there's much I can do when the temp sensor is faulty... >.<

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
ill go to compusa this weekend and pick up a sensor so i dont have to deal with the crappy chaintech one... people have told me how off their sensors can be, ill post results when i pick 1 up..