How to change a name of an open file?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

Hello
How to change a name of an open file? Or, how to find the file easily after
closing the file?
18 answers Last reply
More about change open file
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    Geez......who, what, when and where?

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > How to change a name of an open file? Or, how to find the file easily
    > after
    > closing the file?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    | "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE>
    | wrote in message news:OGc4FSDhEHA.1972@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    | Hello
    | How to change a name of an open file? Or, how to find the file
    | easily after closing the file?

    As the others have said you cannot rename a file that is
    currently in use.

    As for how to "find the file easily after closing the file" (been
    there, done that)....

    By default your Recent Documents folder stores shortcuts to all
    the files and folders you have recently opened. You can access
    the Recent Documents folder in many ways.

    One way is to use the History button that is found on the Places
    Bar in the "Open" and "Save As" Dialog Boxes. Another way is to
    customized your Start Menu to show your most recently used
    documents and then click Start | My Recent Documents. And
    another way is to click Start, click Run, type the following
    command and click OK: recent

    For particularly difficult to remember file paths try using
    the search function with as much criteria as you can remember.
    For example, if you know it is a Microsoft Word document, and it
    contains the word heartfire, and it was modified today:

    All or part of the file name: *.doc
    A word or phrase in the file: heartfire
    When was it modified?
    Specify dates
    from 2004/08/17
    to 2004/08/17
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    It has already been said that you can Save As, and then delete the old
    document. Just a little extra info: you don't need to minimize Word and find
    the file in Windows Explorer, you can delete, copy, cut, paste, move, and
    rename files in the 'Open' or 'Save As' dialogues. You can't change a
    document that is open, but if you Save As, then you can just press Ctrl+O,
    delete the old file in that window, then click cancel. A bit of a time saver.

    "Dmitriy Kopnichev" wrote:

    > Hello
    > How to change a name of an open file? Or, how to find the file easily after
    > closing the file?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    You can't change the name of an open file. To find it after closing, note
    where you saved it before you closed it.
    Having failed to do that, hold down the "windows" key while hitting the "F"
    key. That will bring up Windows Search function. Type in as much as you
    can remember about the filename and it will find it for you.

    --

    B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
    -

    "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > How to change a name of an open file? Or, how to find the file easily
    after
    > closing the file?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    as too an easy way to find a file you had open, go to start, my recent
    documents, locate the file your looking for and right click on it and select
    properties. That will show you the path to the file. You may or may not see
    "My recent documents" depending on your configuration. If you dont see it and
    want to, right click on the task bar, select properties, Click on the start
    menu tab, select startmenu and then customize. Now click on the advanced tab
    at the top and check the "list my most recently opened documents" box. This
    is also kind of a handy way to see if anyones been rumaging your files,
    although its easily overcome. Most users dont seem to know its there or what
    its for though.

    "Dmitriy Kopnichev" wrote:

    > Hello
    > How to change a name of an open file? Or, how to find the file easily after
    > closing the file?

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    A text file, for example, in Word 2002.
    > Geez......who, what, when and where?
    >
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly
    >
    > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    > > Hello
    > > How to change a name of an open file? Or, how to find the file easily
    > > after
    > > closing the file?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    Thank you!
    "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message
    > | "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE>
    > | wrote in message news:OGc4FSDhEHA.1972@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > | Hello
    > | How to change a name of an open file? Or, how to find the file
    > | easily after closing the file?
    >
    > As the others have said you cannot rename a file that is
    > currently in use.
    >
    > As for how to "find the file easily after closing the file" (been
    > there, done that)....
    >
    > By default your Recent Documents folder stores shortcuts to all
    > the files and folders you have recently opened. You can access
    > the Recent Documents folder in many ways.
    >
    > One way is to use the History button that is found on the Places
    > Bar in the "Open" and "Save As" Dialog Boxes. Another way is to
    > customized your Start Menu to show your most recently used
    > documents and then click Start | My Recent Documents. And
    > another way is to click Start, click Run, type the following
    > command and click OK: recent
    >
    > For particularly difficult to remember file paths try using
    > the search function with as much criteria as you can remember.
    > For example, if you know it is a Microsoft Word document, and it
    > contains the word heartfire, and it was modified today:
    >
    > All or part of the file name: *.doc
    > A word or phrase in the file: heartfire
    > When was it modified?
    > Specify dates
    > from 2004/08/17
    > to 2004/08/17

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    |:| " Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE>
    |:| Message news:OGc4FSDhEHA.1972@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    |:| <SNIP> how to find the file easily after closing the file?

    :| "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message
    :| news:%237ua42FhEHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    :| <SNIP> your Recent Documents folder stores shortcuts to all
    :| the files and folders you have recently opened. <SNIP>
    :| try using the search function with as much criteria as you can
    :| remember.<SNIP>

    | "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE>
    | Message news:%23Cetk9FhEHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    | Thank you!

    YW! And some additional information in regards to the Windows
    Explorer Recent Folder.

    If you configure Windows Explorer the following way it will show
    the long path to the "Location:" of the file.

    From the menu bar click View | Details. Then click View | Choose
    Details and select to display Comments.

    Also, a quick way to open the folder that stores the file
    represented by a shortcut in the Recent folder is to:

    Right-click the shortcut and select Properties.
    Click the button labeled: Find Target...
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote :

    > Geez......who, what, when and where?

    > > Hello
    > > How to change a name of an open file? Or, how to find the file easily
    > > after
    > > closing the file?

    Dmitriy seems to be a man of few words. I assume he means either:

    "If a file is open in Word, one cannot change the name of that file. If one
    wishes to change the name of that open file, can one do so? If so, how so?"
    OR
    "I save my file; whence I know not. If that file is then closed, how can
    one locate it thereafter?"

    For the first: Save As ... using a different filename to the original. One
    can then delete the original, leaving the file with the desired changed
    filename.

    For the second: Take note where your files are saved to. One can check
    this by clicking "Save As ..." The default folder is shown.

    If neither can be managed, one can but return to papyrus and quill. :-)

    :-)

    Pemo

    --
    ,-._|\
    / Oz \ Melbourne

    I knew both ways. The first creates another file, not changing a name of the
    opened file, I will have to locate and delete the original manually. The
    second does not open the "default folder" for the file name changing.
    "Pemo" <pemo_832@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote :
    >
    > > Geez......who, what, when and where?

    > > > Hello
    > > > How to change a name of an open file? Or, how to find the file easily
    > > > after
    > > > closing the file?
    >
    > Dmitriy seems to be a man of few words. I assume he means either:
    >
    > "If a file is open in Word, one cannot change the name of that file. If
    one
    > wishes to change the name of that open file, can one do so? If so, how
    so?"
    > OR
    > "I save my file; whence I know not. If that file is then closed, how can
    > one locate it thereafter?"
    >
    > For the first: Save As ... using a different filename to the original.
    One
    > can then delete the original, leaving the file with the desired changed
    > filename.
    >
    > For the second: Take note where your files are saved to. One can check
    > this by clicking "Save As ..." The default folder is shown.
    >
    > If neither can be managed, one can but return to papyrus and quill. :-)
    >
    > :-)
    >
    > Pemo
    >
    > --
    > ,-._|\
    > / Oz \ Melbourne
    > \_,--.x/ Australia

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    As Pemo points out, when you select Save As, even if you cancel the save,
    Word opens the folder in which the file is already saved, allowing you to
    note its location.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    > I knew both ways. The first creates another file, not changing a name of
    the
    > opened file, I will have to locate and delete the original manually. The
    > second does not open the "default folder" for the file name changing.
    > "Pemo" <pemo_832@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote :
    > >
    > > > Geez......who, what, when and where?

    > > Dmitriy seems to be a man of few words. I assume he means either:
    > >
    > > "If a file is open in Word, one cannot change the name of that file. If
    > one
    > > wishes to change the name of that open file, can one do so? If so, how
    > so?"
    > > OR
    > > "I save my file; whence I know not. If that file is then closed, how
    can
    > > one locate it thereafter?"
    > >
    > > For the first: Save As ... using a different filename to the original.
    > One
    > > can then delete the original, leaving the file with the desired changed
    > > filename.
    > >
    > > For the second: Take note where your files are saved to. One can check
    > > this by clicking "Save As ..." The default folder is shown.
    > >
    > > If neither can be managed, one can but return to papyrus and quill.
    :-)

    > > :-)
    > >
    > > Pemo
    > >
    > > --
    > > ,-._|\
    > > / Oz \ Melbourne
    > > \_,--.x/ Australia

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    File/SaveAs

    --
    Ross
    > A text file, for example, in Word 2002.
    > > Geez......who, what, when and where?
    > >
    > > --
    > > All the Best,
    > > Kelly
    > >
    > > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    > > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    > >
    > > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    > >

    > > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    > > > Hello
    > > > How to change a name of an open file? Or, how to find the file easily
    > > > after
    > > > closing the file?

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    This creates another file, not changing a name of the opened file.
    "Ross Durie" <rdurie@caverock.net.nz> wrote in message
    > File/SaveAs
    >
    > --
    > Ross
    > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    > > A text file, for example, in Word 2002.
    > > "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > > Geez......who, what, when and where?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > All the Best,
    > > > Kelly
    > > >
    > > > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    > > > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    > > >
    > > > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    > > >

    > > > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    You cannot change the name of an *open* file. You can only save it with a
    new name - then delete the old one. You can rename a file that is not open.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    My web site www.gmayor.com
    Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    > This creates another file, not changing a name of the opened file.
    > "Ross Durie" <rdurie@caverock.net.nz> wrote in message
    >> File/SaveAs
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ross
    >> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >>> A text file, for example, in Word 2002.
    >>> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    Thanks.
    "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@DELETECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > You cannot change the name of an *open* file. You can only save it with a
    > new name - then delete the old one. You can rename a file that is not
    open.

    > --
    > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    > Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    >
    > My web site www.gmayor.com
    > Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
    > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    >

    > Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    > > This creates another file, not changing a name of the opened file.
    > > "Ross Durie" <rdurie@caverock.net.nz> wrote in message
    > >> File/SaveAs
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ross
    > >> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    > |:| " Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE>
    > |:| Message news:OGc4FSDhEHA.1972@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > |:| <SNIP> how to find the file easily after closing the file?
    >
    > :| "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message
    > :| news:%237ua42FhEHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > :| <SNIP> your Recent Documents folder stores shortcuts to all
    > :| the files and folders you have recently opened. <SNIP>
    > :| try using the search function with as much criteria as you can
    > :| remember.<SNIP>
    >
    > | "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE>
    > | Message news:%23Cetk9FhEHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > | Thank you!
    >
    > YW! And some additional information in regards to the Windows
    > Explorer Recent Folder.
    >
    > If you configure Windows Explorer the following way it will show
    > the long path to the "Location:" of the file.
    >
    > From the menu bar click View | Details. Then click View | Choose
    > Details and select to display Comments.
    >
    > Also, a quick way to open the folder that stores the file
    > represented by a shortcut in the Recent folder is to:
    >
    > Right-click the shortcut and select Properties.
    > Click the button labeled: Find Target...

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    Thanks
    "J Brydle" <JBrydle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It has already been said that you can Save As, and then delete the old
    > document. Just a little extra info: you don't need to minimize Word and
    find
    > the file in Windows Explorer, you can delete, copy, cut, paste, move, and
    > rename files in the 'Open' or 'Save As' dialogues. You can't change a
    > document that is open, but if you Save As, then you can just press Ctrl+O,
    > delete the old file in that window, then click cancel. A bit of a time
    saver.

    > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello
    > > How to change a name of an open file? Or, how to find the file easily
    after
    > > closing the file?

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement (More info?)

    Thanks
    "gb4" <gb4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > as too an easy way to find a file you had open, go to start, my recent
    > documents, locate the file your looking for and right click on it and
    select
    > properties. That will show you the path to the file. You may or may not
    see
    > "My recent documents" depending on your configuration. If you dont see it
    and
    > want to, right click on the task bar, select properties, Click on the
    start
    > menu tab, select startmenu and then customize. Now click on the advanced
    tab
    > at the top and check the "list my most recently opened documents" box.
    This
    > is also kind of a handy way to see if anyones been rumaging your files,
    > although its easily overcome. Most users dont seem to know its there or
    what
    > its for though.
    >
    > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello
    > > How to change a name of an open file? Or, how to find the file easily
    after
    > > closing the file?

Microsoft Windows XP