Canon Pixma iP4000 & 5000 CD/DVD printing -In Canada

Can anyone comment -for certain- if the new Cannon Pixma line
(4000/5000) is able to print directly on CD/DVD's?

There seems to be quite a bit of uncertainty about this. Originally it
seemed as though only UK models did, but now I've heard rumors that the
North America versions can as well....
Anyone own one of these, and can say for sure?

TIA,

Bertrand
8 answers Last reply
More about canon pixma ip4000 5000 printing canada

    Thanks for the reply,

    When & where did you buy them?
    How are the printers otherwise, I hear they are quite a good (value)...
    BR

    <bertrandr@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone comment -for certain- if the new Cannon Pixma line
    > (4000/5000) is able to print directly on CD/DVD's?
    >
    > There seems to be quite a bit of uncertainty about this. Originally it
    > seemed as though only UK models did, but now I've heard rumors that the
    > North America versions can as well....
    > Anyone own one of these, and can say for sure?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Bertrand

    I picked up the ip5000 about two weeks ago, and nowhere is there any
    documentation on how to print directly to a cd, nor does it look like there
    is an opening or any kind of tray for the cd. The cd printing capabilities
    were not necessary for me, but I was a little disappointed that they would
    have included them in Europe, but not it Canada.

    Henry

    I have both the ip3000 and ip4000...neither can print to CD. Frustrating
    because you can see where the CD tray would fit into it :-(

    Jeff H

    On 27 Oct 2004 10:41:02 -0700, bertrandr@gmail.com wrote:
    > Can anyone comment -for certain- if the new Cannon Pixma line
    > (4000/5000) is able to print directly on CD/DVD's?

    It's possible almost everywhere - outside the US. I've seen some Asian
    docu that stated thta CD printing is not available everywhere, while
    there was no clear statement where the border is.

    I don't know about Mexico and Canada. Since they did not provide the
    i865, but i860, not the i9950, but i9900 only, I suppose they are
    whithin the range of crippled models.

    I don't know the reason yet why Canon sells almost idetical models,
    which do support CD printing outside the US. Canon US refused to answer
    this question.

    > There seems to be quite a bit of uncertainty about this. Originally it
    > seemed as though only UK models did, but now I've heard rumors that the
    > North America versions can as well....
    > Anyone own one of these, and can say for sure?

    Everywhere within Europe you will get the uncrippled version, as well as
    in many other countries.

    Regards
    Martin

    On 28 Oct 2004 09:29:28 GMT, Martin Trautmann wrote:
    > On 27 Oct 2004 10:41:02 -0700, bertrandr@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Can anyone comment -for certain- if the new Cannon Pixma line
    > > (4000/5000) is able to print directly on CD/DVD's?
    >
    > It's possible almost everywhere - outside the US. I've seen some Asian
    > docu that stated thta CD printing is not available everywhere, while
    > there was no clear statement where the border is.

    I've checked once again:

    (go e.g. via http://web.canon.jp/gateway/index.html)

    i865 (which is the same model as the i860, but including CD printing) is
    available e.g. in Australia and New Zealand,
    Philippines, India, Malaysia, canon-asia, ...

    Don't know about Latin America: They offer i850 and iP3000 only,
    nothing better.

    All manuals and drivers are served via the same service at
    alpha02.c-wss.com/wsss and beta00.c-wss.com/wsss

    Check the docu via one of the other country entries.

    BTW:
    http://canon.brochurelibrary.com/getFile.php?productid=7885&languageid=1
    is the UK brochure which shows where the CD tray is located and how it
    is used. Further docu is within the non-american manuals.

    <bertrandr@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1098898862.559168.9280@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > Can anyone comment -for certain- if the new Cannon Pixma line
    > (4000/5000) is able to print directly on CD/DVD's?
    >
    > There seems to be quite a bit of uncertainty about this. Originally it
    > seemed as though only UK models did, but now I've heard rumors that the
    > North America versions can as well....
    > Anyone own one of these, and can say for sure?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Bertrand

    The one's in Australia are CD print capable.

    When I bought my iP4000, I was told by the Canon rep that the license for
    the CD printing technology was exclusive to Epson in the US. He said the
    British version of the Canon could print CDs, but because of the license
    arrangement, they were restricted in the US.

    --
    Tom Weiss

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:02:38 GMT, Tom Weiss wrote:
    > When I bought my iP4000, I was told by the Canon rep that the license for
    > the CD printing technology was exclusive to Epson in the US. He said the
    > British version of the Canon could print CDs, but because of the license
    > arrangement, they were restricted in the US.

    Does anyone know the number of this patent, probably held by Philips?

Printers Pixma DVD Canon CD-Rom Peripherals