Photo paper in laser printer

I'm getting a Minolta color laser printer, and was wondering what
others experiences are in printing photo's on various media.

Specifically, does the glossy photopaper designed for laser printers
give good results? Also, is any particular glossy paper better than
the others, or one to avoid?

TIA
4 answers Last reply
More about photo paper laser printer

    David wrote:
    > I'm getting a Minolta color laser printer, and was wondering what
    > others experiences are in printing photo's on various media.
    >
    > Specifically, does the glossy photopaper designed for laser printers
    > give good results? Also, is any particular glossy paper better than
    > the others, or one to avoid?
    >
    > TIA

    Unless it's high end (costing in the £10,000s) then a colour laser cannot
    hold a candle to even a moderate photo printer. I certainly wouldn't
    contemplate printing photos on a cheap laser (I believe the low end models
    start at £500, or the upper range for an inkjet).

    Sure they're good for charts and graphs and other business printing, but for
    photos...?

    lose his marbles?

    > David wrote:
    > > I'm getting a Minolta color laser printer, and was wondering what
    > > others experiences are in printing photo's on various media.
    > >
    > > Specifically, does the glossy photopaper designed for laser printers
    > > give good results? Also, is any particular glossy paper better than
    > > the others, or one to avoid?
    > >
    > > TIA
    >

    > Unless it's high end (costing in the £10,000s) then a colour laser cannot
    > hold a candle to even a moderate photo printer. I certainly wouldn't
    > contemplate printing photos on a cheap laser (I believe the low end models
    > start at £500, or the upper range for an inkjet).
    >
    > Sure they're good for charts and graphs and other business printing, but
    for
    > photos...?
    >
    > --
    > My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
    > lose his marbles?

    Just bought a Canon Imagepass Printer/Copier/Scanner and was amazed at the
    photo quality. It's not a true laser, though. Toner seems to be sort type
    of powdered wax- The output looks glossy similar to the Xerox/Tektronics
    solid wax printers, but with better photo quality. Has a fiery RIP built
    in.

    I use color laser printing in producing color mass produced product
    which is sold at many stores. The quality, when done correctly, is
    nearly equivalent to a commercial post card printing quality, which is
    pretty reasonable.

    However, if you want glossy surface, that's a problem. I use hot
    laminate to get that result, and it looks good. In fact, it improves
    the image quality by smoothing the toner dots a bit, and increasing
    contrast via the glossiness of the surface.

    The toners (and Minolta's in particular) tend to be pretty matte, so on
    glossy paper they tend to dull the paper anywhere they are applied,
    while the non-toner area is very glossy. So, I use a matte surface card
    or cover stock and use a hot laminate.

    However, I did just read (I thinking this group) of a new laser printer
    paper that is glossy and somehow it keeps it gloss. I suspect the toner
    is melted into and below the surface of the paper somehow so that the
    gloss surface remains intact (I have not used it and I don't even recall
    it's name).

    Since a color laser printer is a major investment, I suggest people go
    to a dealer and test it with your own papers and even images if possible.

    Art

    In message <wsTfd.10622$8p4.9061@fe48.usenetserver.com>, Miss
    Perspicacia Tick <misstick@lancre.dw> writes

    >Unless it's high end (costing in the £10,000s) then a colour laser cannot
    >hold a candle to even a moderate photo printer. I certainly wouldn't
    >contemplate printing photos on a cheap laser (I believe the low end models
    >start at £500, or the upper range for an inkjet).
    >
    >Sure they're good for charts and graphs and other business printing, but for
    >photos...?

    You can actually get quite decent results out of them, plus the paper is
    rather cheaper, I tend to use HP soft glossy which isn't bad, there is
    some neuschlieder (prob spelt wrongly!) which I gather is quite good as
    well, ask your printer supplier for a sample.

    --
    Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    tlatwightpropertydotcom

Printers Photo Laser Printer Peripherals