Windows 8 Pro's Non-promotional Pricing is $199

Status
Not open for further replies.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, Oh Ho Ho Ho Ho . . . $199 for Windows 8 . . .[/citation]

Lol, i just laughed like Santa while reading this.
The sad thing is, i won't even bother to download it. Actually i already tried the leaked retail version and it took me an hour to scream for windows 7, even if i liked few things in windows 8 though....

in other news: windows XP pro, Vista Business, and 7 pro all retailed for $200. Nobody actually pays $200 because everyone either gets the $140 OEM, or a cheaper bulk license, but the retail version of Windows Pro has been $200 for over 10 years... this is nothing new.

However, in a world where MS is more directly competing with the likes of Apple who has $40 OS upgrades, and Android is free (If you have a supported device, and If your manufacturer decides to support it properly, and If you wireless carrier isnt a prick), I would think that lowering the overall price would be a much better idea. I would think $50 for home OEM and then $75 for pro OEM (double the price for a retail copy) would be much more appropriate in today's world (and then stiff us on xBox live memberships, skydrive memberships, office360 memberships, and all the other monthly subscriptions that MS is making their bread and butter on now).

bunkgoats

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
$199 for the privelage of being in their new walled garden where they will get 30% royalties from the sales of apps? I feel like they are insulting my intelligence. I will stick with Windows 7 until it becomes obsolete, it works well enough for now.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I'll wait until late january to see how Windows 8 turns out. Word on the street is that it will fail big time, but I'd rather decide that for myself. If it's at least equal to 7 in terms of performance, it might be worth a $40 upgrade.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]xkm1948[/nom]Guess I will finally switch over to linux.[/citation]

Good luck with that.... I run Ubuntu, MacOS, and Windows because I need to be able to support all of these platforms... You just switching to Linux is just the same knee jerk reaction Balwin had when before Obama was elected... wasn't he suppose to leave the country... yeah.. like I said, good luck...

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
No need for me to upgrade when Windows 7 can do everything Windows 8 can do and faster without having to go throug Modern UI and take 3 or 4 more steps at times just to get to an option or a setting or hell even to restart and shutdown for that matter. Hell i'd still be on Windows XP 64bit Edition rocking with Google Chrome if it supported the latest DirectX software.

bloody_el

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
This price is 100 less than Windows 7 Pro. So, price is not that bad. And you can expect OEM copies to be around 140 like Windows 7 at least.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
BWahahaha!

If people aren't willing to spend $40 to "upgrade" to Windows8, what makes them think that *WE* will spend $200 on that crap.

How many of *US* are willing to pay $1 for it? I wouldn't... even MS sold Win8 for $1 and included a $20 gift-card for use at Walmart, I would buy it... then of course, not actually install the POS.

bloody_el

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
There are people who will pay $40 for this. I know I am.

The future for Windows PC's is touch interfaces on laptops and all in ones. Gaming should theoretically be better because of Windows 8 using less resources than Windows 7. There is plenty of good in this OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS