32bit PC Card with a PCI Express Slot

reds99

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Hi,

I have a laptop that I hope to hook up with a Wireless LAN 32bit PC Card. Unfortunately, the laptop only comes with a single PCI Express slot. Is there any adapter out there that can allow me to still use my Wireless LAN card?

Alternatively, are there any usb-to-cardbus slot adapters out there?

Thanks.

reds99

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Neither have I... until now.

Apparently, the PCI express format will ultimately replace the old PCMCIA and PC-Card. At least Cardbus slots are backward compatible with 16-bit PCMCIA cards. The PCI Express slots are only compatible with Express Cards. What will happen to all those pcmcia and pc cards out there? Isn't there any adaptor out there that can still allow these "old" cards to be used in "new" laptops?

Is it possible for a laptop to have both a Card-bus slot and a PCI Express slot? I thought they use different types of motherboard?

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

You can always get a USB 2.0 wireless card. Now with these, you can't be far from the source or your connection will be weak.

It's different than PCI-slot cards with removable antenna so you can attach some kind of booster with antenna.

dbh29

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I have the same problem w/ a new Thinkpad notebook...1 Express card slot :( However, a 32-bit CardBus card fits in and works. Are you sure you inserted the card properly?

Just a thought....