HELP HSF shutting off randomly

axe3000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Here's my cpu stats

PROCESSOR - AMD 3200+ Venice core PIB retail

VIDEO CARD - eVGA 256-P2-N515-AX Geforce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Desktop PC - Retail

RAM - CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

MOTHERBOARD - DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

PSU - FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN 450W Power Supply - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

HARD DISK - Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

After hooking everything up, I've noticed that the HSF will randomly turn off. I managed to install windows fine somehow, but now the fan will randomly stop. Sometimes it happens when I"m at the bios screen, other times it won't happen until i've been in windows for a few minutes. It seems to take longer to happen when I have the power for my 120mm case fan plugged in. Any ideas?

Ampz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
Are you sure the HSF is plugged into the cpu fan slot on the mb? If not then some fan slots are disabled in bios untill the NB etc. temp reaches a certain temp then it will kick on. Without the hsf running you will ruin your cpu.

axe3000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Cool and quiet is disabled

hsf is correctly plugged into the fan slot and yeah i've been shutting my pc down manually as soon as the fan shuts off so i'm okay in that regard

i haven't been able to find any fan-specific settings in the bios so far but i can look

axe3000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
I can't even get into the bios now without the hsf turning off now. Great. I've tried just plugging in the motherboard/cpu as well, same problem.

endyen

Splendid
See if you can find a 4 pin molex to 3 pin adapter. Then try to run the hsf of the psu directly.
If that works, and you cant find any control in bios, rma the board.

axe3000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Okay, on my mb there's another 3pin fan plugin located closeby so I use that and it's perfect.

In the phoenix/award bios under PC Health there's a setting where the CPU fan turns off when the temp is >25 degrees, so that looks like it's the culprit. Problem is, I can't make that temperature smaller or disable it. Right now I'm only getting 800ish rpms from that second fan slot so for the long term using it in that is a no go as well. This is idiotic. Any ideas for disabling this?

Ampz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
You should be able to turn that off and have the fan run 24/7. If not thats a shitty option because if your temp sensor is incorrect you could burn your cpu out. WHO DESIGNS THESE BOARDS?!!?

axe3000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
That's just it, there's no option to shut any of it off! What I did do is lower the "CPU Fan Fully ON" temperature to its lowest setting, which was also 25 degrees, and that's seemed to fix it, even when the temp dips below 25 (i'm running somewhere between 21-23 C idle right now). I never thought I'd see the day that my cpu was running too cool :x I suppose I could disable cpu temp monitoring but that's way too dangerous for my tastes. I suppose I'll email DFI and see if they have a better workaround. Thanks a whole lot for the help.

pat

Expert
Okay, on my mb there's another 3pin fan plugin located closeby so I use that and it's perfect.

In the phoenix/award bios under PC Health there's a setting where the CPU fan turns off when the temp is >25 degrees, so that looks like it's the culprit. Problem is, I can't make that temperature smaller or disable it. Right now I'm only getting 800ish rpms from that second fan slot so for the long term using it in that is a no go as well. This is idiotic. Any ideas for disabling this?

Wondeful.. CPU fan headers are just for that..CPU.. didn't you look at the manual to know where to plug the CPU??

endyen

Splendid
Your chip too cool to keep the fan running? No problem, join our folding @ home team, and your chip will never be that cool again.
You could set F@H at a low enough cpu usage to keep the temps ~30c, but then again running 100% 24/7 is better.

philderbeast

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
if your cpu is only runngin at 21C idle than it could just be our mother board is turning off the fan cause its not needed. at these tempratures no cpu will ever be in danger of overheating.

but if your worried about the sensor reading wrong open your case and test it and check it :)

axe3000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005

Wondeful.. CPU fan headers are just for that..CPU.. didn't you look at the manual to know where to plug the CPU??

Not really sure what you're getting at; I plugged the cpu fan into another fan slot so I could actually have it running so I wouldn't burn out my chip looking through bios settings, as the bios was turning my fan completely off before I could even load the bios setting screen.

But anyways I checked the DFI boards and it looks like I am out of luck unless I run my fan directly from the PSU and use an external fan controller. And it is really running that cool, but I just don't really that my chip would be toast if the cpu temp sensor messes up. I've got a fan/temp monitor running in windows so at least I'll know when it shuts off. Thanks for the advice guys.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Strikes me there's a very simple solution here....

You just need to overclock it! Don't think I've heard anyone with a 3200+ Venice not being able to hit at least 2.5Ghz. That should keep it at a much nicer 30-35C idle.... :lol:

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Strikes me there's a very simple solution here....

You just need to overclock it! Don't think I've heard anyone with a 3200+ Venice not being able to hit at least 2.5Ghz. That should keep it at a much nicer 30-35C idle.... :lol:

I agree! 8)